Climate Control Auto Modes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

I discovered that you can set whether you want the ventilation mode in Auto to default to recirculate or outside. Simply hold down the one that you want as the default for about 3 seconds and it will then beep and flash. That will become the new default.

There is a vague reference to this in the owner's manual but it was not clear what it did until I actually tried it.

Update: You have to be in full Auto mode for this to work.

Nice I all most never use outside air, why cool hot outside air when the air in cabin is cool already. Outside air also has polutents.

mogur said:
I discovered that you can set whether you want the ventilation mode in Auto to default to recirculate or outside. Simply hold down the one that you want as the default for about 3 seconds and it will then beep and flash. That will become the new default.

There is a vague reference to this in the owner's manual but it was not clear what it did until I actually tried it.

Update: You have to be in full Auto mode for this to work.

That's cool to know. In Phoenix, it's nice to start recirculating because it cools the car down faster. In the winter, it nicer to have the outside air as the default. Thanks for the tip.

Well, it appears that I may have spoke too soon as today it reverted back to what it had been before. Thus, I have to say that I have no idea what that function is supposed to do... Both the owners manual and service manual are frustratingly vague on this point.

OK, maybe I am the only one who wants this.

Does anyone know how to activate airflow to "re-circulate" with the climate control set to AUTO?

I have fiddled with the knobs, including holding down buttons for more than 2 seconds to no avail.

greenleaf said:
Does anyone know how to activate airflow to "re-circulate" with the climate control set to AUTO?
I've tried for a while as well to make recirculate an option in AUTO mode without any success. I would like to keep A/C off as well, but no luck there either.

Has anyone found any work-around for this? I'm still fairly confused:

-Manual indicates holding down fresh or recirculation button changes a setting - and you can make the buttons flash when you do this, but as near as I can tell it doesn't change anything
-DVD indicates you can hold down the MODE button to switch which one is the default. That doesn't do anything at all.

It hasn't gotten hot here yet, but when it's 110 out, I really don't want to be bringing "fresh" air in. I like the idea of the auto mode, but so far I'm not that impressed with the implementation.

JasonT said:
Has anyone found any work-around for this? I'm still fairly confused:

-Manual indicates holding down fresh or recirculation button changes a setting - and you can make the buttons flash when you do this, but as near as I can tell it doesn't change anything
-DVD indicates you can hold down the MODE button to switch which one is the default. That doesn't do anything at all.

It hasn't gotten hot here yet, but when it's 110 out, I really don't want to be bringing "fresh" air in. I like the idea of the auto mode, but so far I'm not that impressed with the implementation.

no luck here as of yet and I've tried multiple combinations/scenarios...

I tried this on mine and holding either of the two buttons down did absolutely nothing. Please help, I don't want to be breathing Los Angeles freeway air!

To turn the A/C off and run only in fan mode.
1. Turn A/C OFF. A/C LED indicator should not be lit.
2. Select a set temperature below the ambient or set to minimum to be certain.
3. Manually select fan speed to prevent fan from automatically selecting high speed.
You can confirm this works by going to the Electric Economy screen and viewing the climate control energy use. The reason most people see energy use after selecting A/C OFF is because the heater is on. Selecting a low set temperature avoids this condition. :)

Happy electric motoring.

Yes, I find it annoying to always have to monitor the temperature and energy usage to make sure the heater hasn't kicked on. I wish they had included a "heater" button so it wouldn't automatically kick on when not in auto mode.

On another note, I am still not able to set recirculate as the default mode. 1877-nogas-ev was not able to help me and advised me to take it to the dealership.

tgrich said:
On another note, I am still not able to set recirculate as the default mode. 1877-nogas-ev was not able to help me and advised me to take it to the dealership.
Nobody can, in automatic mode it will do what it wants to and the instructions in the manual don't do what they say they're supposed to. :(

I'm surprised at all the people who want to keep it set to recirculate. Perhaps it's just because I'm in Silicon Valley where temps are almost always moderate. When I use A/C it's almost always because the temperature inside the car is higher than outside due to the "greenhouse effect" of the enclosed area, especially if I've parked it in the sun. So getting "cool" outside air (maybe 80 degrees) blowing in is more efficient and faster than trying to cool the 95 degree air in the "greenhouse." But maybe in Phoenix or someplace that's not the situation. Still, I remember reading in my Volvo's manual never to use the recirculate button longer than necessary, i.e. once the air inside is cooled down to a reasonable temperature, switch to outside air. This was described as being for health reasons. The car filtered the air through an activated carbon filter, I believe, or maybe a HEPA filter. The inside air supposedly contains chemicals and a buildup of CO2 if you are in it (i.e the CO2, or for some, tobacco smoke) and it is exposed to sun (the emissions from the upholstery, etc.) while driving. The filter either didn't engage the recirculated air, or didn't take out the CO2 or chemicals. I don't remember what the Leaf manual said, but I thought it was standard to use recirculate only long enough to get the temperature down. Pollution from the outside air is filtered out but not what you generate inside the car. If true, the default should always be outside air.

When the car is new, you need to use outside air due to the obnoxious and probably unhealthy off gasing chemicals from the recycled plastics. The odor gets a lot better after a couple months, but I'd recommend avoiding higher concentrations of the offgassing chemicals for at least the first 6 months.

TimLee said:
When the car is new, you need to use outside air due to the obnoxious and probably unhealthy off gasing chemicals from the recycled plastics.
Before my car arrived, I asked Nissan CS about VOCs. They gave me a link to a document (translated), that showed that the Japanese government required VOC levels in new cars to be drastically lower than they have in the past. Also, while I agree that using outside air is a good idea, I would not assume the fumes are from the plastics, there are plenty of adhesives in there that are stinky too.

When I got my new seat covers, they were 10 times worse than the new car ever was.

Back