User avatar
Gonewild
Posts: 1262
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:05 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2011
Leaf Number: 229
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Fri May 14, 2010 8:17 am

mwalsh wrote:Tax credit summary (as I understand it, and PLEASE I'm no accountant!):

Leaf

$7500
Cannot be rolled over - must be used in the tax year when you bought the vehicle (as legally described by your state)
Can be used with the AMT
Expires when each manufacturer has sold 200,000 EV units (a bit more complex than that, but that's the gist of it)

EVSE


50% of the cost of the unit plus installation up to $4000 (so a maximum $2000 credit)
Expires Dec. 2010 unless government extends it further.

PV (solar) System

30% of the cost of the unit plus installation with no maximum cap
CAN be rolled over
Expires Dec. 2016


On the EVSE and PV system credits...I don't know if they are also good for those who use the AMT. I also don't know if the credit for the EVSE can be rolled over. If anyone does know these things, or sees any other discrepancies, I'll be happy to modify my post.
OK, so I bought a PV system this year, now if I install the charger and claim the credit because it is set to expire. I will be using up my non refundable credit for the car. I pay in the area of about $6,000 in taxes so I would be better to wait until next year as I said above. YES it would be hard to wait but not getting the most of the $7,500 tax credit would hurt more. I then roll what is left over from my PV system in to 2011 and 2012 so I can get all my tax off the car. I am wondering about the leasing option. I would never do it in my life and will have to crunch the numbers to see if it solves my problem and I could then get the car this year. But the cars maybe only start being available in Dec say after Christmas so who knows. So waiting could only be a week. I could do that on my head. Any thought about my ?
Over 25,300 miles Plus - Now Sold/ Lease given back to Nissan 8-25-2012
Ordered Glacier Pearl Nissan Leaf SL eTech Edition on 8/31, Delivered March 1, 2011
POWERED By SunPower 5.16kw PV Solar home 3 Solar water panels.
Reserved 4/20

Rat
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:47 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011
Location: Silicon Valley
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Fri May 14, 2010 12:31 pm

gonewild,
Where are you located? Unless you're in one of the core cities like San Diego you probably won't be able to take actual delivery of the car or even get the charger until 2012, and maybe even a good chunk of those who are in those cities will not either, so I would guess that might simply things for your decision making.
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11480
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Fri May 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Rat wrote:gonewild,
Where are you located? Unless you're in one of the core cities like San Diego you probably won't be able to take actual delivery of the car or even get the charger until 2012, and maybe even a good chunk of those who are in those cities will not either, so I would guess that might simply things for your decision making.
Hmmm ... why ?

Nissan will want to sell atleast 30K cars in the US in the first year - so an average of 2.5K cars a month. We have, at that rate 4 months of total reservations at this point. Everyone who has reserved a car & is in the launching states, will get the car latest by 2011 March.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

SBNissanLeaf
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Fri May 14, 2010 1:33 pm

evnow wrote:
Rat wrote:gonewild,
Where are you located? Unless you're in one of the core cities like San Diego you probably won't be able to take actual delivery of the car or even get the charger until 2012, and maybe even a good chunk of those who are in those cities will not either, so I would guess that might simply things for your decision making.
Hmmm ... why ?

Nissan will want to sell atleast 30K cars in the US in the first year - so an average of 2.5K cars a month. We have, at that rate 4 months of total reservations at this point. Everyone who has reserved a car & is in the launching states, will get the car latest by 2011 March.
That is...If everyone distributes themselves equally among Nissan Leaf dealerships, or at least in accordance with the Nissan allocation distributions...omg, did I just say the "a" word?

User avatar
sjfotos
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:21 am
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Fri May 14, 2010 1:58 pm

The name that must not be spoken.......The "A" Word. :)
Forum Supporter

Steve in PA
Reserved 4/20/2010, Forgotten in Pennsylvania

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11480
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Fri May 14, 2010 2:27 pm

SBNissanLeaf wrote:That is...If everyone distributes themselves equally among Nissan Leaf dealerships, or at least in accordance with the Nissan allocation distributions...omg, did I just say the "a" word?
LOL.

But I do think, anyone who has put in the money will get one before the end of June '11. The post I was responding to said 2012, which doesn't look to be the case.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

SBNissanLeaf
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Fri May 14, 2010 2:33 pm

i'm just so terrible with math...so how does it go again?

How many cars...how many months...how many dealerships..and just how much interest is Nissan earning on these deposits?

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11480
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Fri May 14, 2010 3:11 pm

SBNissanLeaf wrote:How many cars...how many months...how many dealerships..and just how much interest is Nissan earning on these deposits?
As for as interest - probably less than what they paid to process the $99 payments :lol:

Anyway, 9,000 reservations. Nissan plans to make 12K cars by March '11 (thier fiscal year end). Let us say, 4,000 goes to Japan. They will be 1K short before March - which they can fulfill in April.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

User avatar
planet4ever
Posts: 4674
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:53 pm
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537
Location: Morgan Hill, CA, south of San Jose

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Fri May 14, 2010 3:13 pm

evnow wrote:Nissan will want to sell atleast 30K cars in the US in the first year - so an average of 2.5K cars a month. We have, at that rate 4 months of total reservations at this point. Everyone who has reserved a car & is in the launching states, will get the car latest by 2011 March.
First, don't be misled by averages. Nissan says they want to produce 50K cars the first year, but have a capacity to produce no more than 12K by March, which is four months. That says they are ramping up, which makes sense. My guess is that no more than a thousand will be on the road by the end of the year.

Second, don't confuse "launching areas" with "launching states". California, for example, is a huge state. I'd be willing to bet there are remote parts of it where you are unlikely to be able to get a Leaf at all in 2011, except by planning a several hundred mile trip to get it home.

So, yes, end of March may be a good guess, if you are close to a launching area, but don't count on getting your Leaf much earlier than that.
rat wrote:Where are you located? Unless you're in one of the core cities like San Diego you probably won't be able to take actual delivery of the car or even get the charger until 2012, and maybe even a good chunk of those who are in those cities will not either, so I would guess that might simply things for your decision making.
Sounds like we agree on the car, but maybe not on the charging adapter: I think anyone who wants one will be able to get it before the end of this year, and should plan to do that because otherwise you get no tax credit.
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

LEAFfan
Posts: 4828
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

Fri May 14, 2010 3:25 pm

planet4ever wrote:
evnow wrote:Nissan will want to sell atleast 30K cars in the US in the first year - so an average of 2.5K cars a month. We have, at that rate 4 months of total reservations at this point. Everyone who has reserved a car & is in the launching states, will get the car latest by 2011 March.
First, don't be misled by averages. Nissan says they want to produce 50K cars the first year, but have a capacity to produce no more than 12K by March, which is four months. That says they are ramping up, which makes sense. My guess is that no more than a thousand will be on the road by the end of the year.

Second, don't confuse "launching areas" with "launching states". California, for example, is a huge state. I'd be willing to bet there are remote parts of it where you are unlikely to be able to get a Leaf at all in 2011, except by planning a several hundred mile trip to get it home.

So, yes, end of March may be a good guess, if you are close to a launching area, but don't count on getting your Leaf much earlier than that.
rat wrote:Where are you located? Unless you're in one of the core cities like San Diego you probably won't be able to take actual delivery of the car or even get the charger until 2012, and maybe even a good chunk of those who are in those cities will not either, so I would guess that might simply things for your decision making.
Sounds like we agree on the car, but maybe not on the charging adapter: I think anyone who wants one will be able to get it before the end of this year, and should plan to do that because otherwise you get no tax credit.
According to Nissan, there will be about 1000 cars delivered in Dec., 2010 to the five rollout states. So, contrary to your belief (was one of the first to sign up), I believe I will have mine in Dec., 2010. :)
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”