Has anyone relocated/moved a Blink EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VorlonZ

I will be moving houses in a month and need to relocate my Blink EVSE supplied by the EV project. If you've done this, please share your experience. I've already placed a call into Ecotality asking what's involved and will share what I learn.

I moved mine to a new spot on the same wall. It was really easy. There were a couple of scres that held the outer "ring" on the EVSE. Once that was off, there were only 4 lag bolts to undo. When you put it in, make sure you hit both studs and that you predrill new holes for the lag bolts.

The coil rack was a bit harder. The white inner "ring" is what pops off here and it has about 10 plastic tabs that hold it in. You could probably just pull this off, but you're likely to break a couple of the tabs. I looked for them closely and used a screwdriver to pop them free. The coil rack also had three screws that held it onto a bracket and the bracket had 4 lag bolts.

FairwoodRed said:
I moved mine to a new spot on the same wall. It was really easy. There were a couple of scres that held the outer "ring" on the EVSE. Once that was off, there were only 4 lag bolts to undo. When you put it in, make sure you hit both studs and that you predrill new holes for the lag bolts.

The coil rack was a bit harder. The white inner "ring" is what pops off here and it has about 10 plastic tabs that hold it in. You could probably just pull this off, but you're likely to break a couple of the tabs. I looked for them closely and used a screwdriver to pop them free. The coil rack also had three screws that held it onto a bracket and the bracket had 4 lag bolts.

Thanks for the detailed post! I was also looking to remove the wiring and such- I figure it must be about the same as any other wiring. Anyone know if having anyone other than a "qualified EV technician" do the wiring would void the warranty? I figure i'd move the unit and and have an electrician wire it to the box.. shouldn't even be $50 job.

I had mentioned the possibility of moving during the program and the installer told me I'd probably be better off just moving it myself and making sure it was plugged in to internet and that they'd probably never know nor care. That said you are supposed to ask permission first. I suspect so long as it's installed and sending data they won't care, but I definitely would expect to incur the cost of having it re-installed myself. After the program is over we're free to do whatever we want with them though. Also, you will have to break the security seal to get it off the wall so I'm not entirely sure what this entails with them.

Since the cellular modem in the Blink provides GPS coordinates, I would definitely give them the opportunity to move it per your agreement with them. Big brother is watching! :D

What makes you think it has a GPS? Also, the cellular modem is only used in those cases where there are no Ethernet or WiFi possibilities... Plus, where it is in my garage, and I suspect most others, it would never get a GPS fix anyway since the GPS signal is blocked...

DarkStar said:
Since the cellular modem in the Blink provides GPS coordinates, I would definitely give them the opportunity to move it per your agreement with them. Big brother is watching! :D

RickS said:
I had mentioned the possibility of moving during the program and the installer told me I'd probably be better off just moving it myself and making sure it was plugged in to internet and that they'd probably never know nor care. That said you are supposed to ask permission first. I suspect so long as it's installed and sending data they won't care, but I definitely would expect to incur the cost of having it re-installed myself. After the program is over we're free to do whatever we want with them though. Also, you will have to break the security seal to get it off the wall so I'm not entirely sure what this entails with them.

I called the company that did my original install and they quoted me $700-900 to move the Blink EVSE. Further, Ecotality indicates that moving it oneself is likely going to kill the warranty. Ugh.

TomT said:
What makes you think it has a GPS? Also, the cellular modem is only used in those cases where there are no Ethernet or WiFi possibilities... Plus, where it is in my garage, and I suspect most others, it would never get a GPS fix anyway since the GPS signal is blocked...

DarkStar said:
Just because you aren't connecting with Blink via the cellular modem doesn't mean that they aren't using it to get GPS coordinates. Also, it could be using triangulation, however the accuracy of the GPS coordinates on the memory card make me believe that there is a specific GPS receiver integrated with the cellular modem.

BTW, you'll be surprised where you can get a good enough GPS lock from, especially on a receiver that isn't moving! :D

RickS said:
I'm planning a move and emailed Ecotality and SDG&E. So long as your new location is within the boundaries of the program, they are fine, although the expense of moving the unit falls to me. They really don't care about the details of the move past location. They mentioned that they would come out afterwards to replace the security seal.

davewill said:
I'm planning a move and emailed Ecotality and SDG&E. So long as your new location is within the boundaries of the program, they are fine, although the expense of moving the unit falls to me. They really don't care about the details of the move past location. They mentioned that they would come out afterwards to replace the security seal.
As long as they don't require "their contractor" move the unit, it sounds like moving it is a non-issue. Thanks awesome!

davewill said:
So long as your new location is within the boundaries of the program, they are fine...

And if not you either have to purchase the Blink if you want to keep it (thanks but I think I'll pass) or give it back to them. If I move there is a good chance it will be to a location outside of program area (LADWP vs. Edison). Wondering why it makes any difference where I use the charger as long as they are still getting usage data.

Back