User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Capacity vs Health

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:31 am

Top row: Kwh remaining, Gids, Extended Absolute Battery Bars
Bottom row: Pack volts, SOC %, Pack power in/out (Kw)

My Cap and Ahr seem to constantly wander around a bit. Currently 54.30 and 81.96% (don't currently have anything that displays Health).
GregH wrote:What are the numbers in the first photo (other than Vpack)? If the 2nd photo is Ah Capacity and Health that seems odd.. 85.67% Health sounds really low for a 61.35Ah pack. Just the other day I was at 93.57% Health with 62.1166Ah Capacity in my car.
Last edited by TomT on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

GregH
Posts: 860
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:16 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 26967
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Capacity vs Health

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:33 am

adspguy wrote:Hey GregH, do your cap and health values vary like mine?
Yeah, looks similar. I haven't been recording as much data as you! I'm trying to see when the car makes these decisions..? I've seen the Health update during a drive but the Ah Cap only seems to update occasionally.. perhaps at the end of charge?
'17 blue Volt Premier w/ACC
'12 SL black Leaf
'11 SL blue Leaf
RAV4-EV 2002-2005
Gen1 & Gen2 EV1 1997-2003
PV 2.4Kw, 10kWh lithium battery SCE TOU-DA

GregH
Posts: 860
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:16 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 26967
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Capacity vs Health

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:39 am

TomT wrote:My Cap and Ahr seem to constantly wander around a bit. Currently 54.30 and 81.96% (don't currently have anything that displays Health).
I think Jim has a new battery app version that displays health. The 81.96% you quote is just your Ah Capacity / 66.25. As it's just an arbitrarily derived number from the Ahr capacity we should probably keep it out of the discussion here.
'17 blue Volt Premier w/ACC
'12 SL black Leaf
'11 SL blue Leaf
RAV4-EV 2002-2005
Gen1 & Gen2 EV1 1997-2003
PV 2.4Kw, 10kWh lithium battery SCE TOU-DA

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Capacity vs Health

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Yes, I know that which is why I only use one in my signature, but some people don't want to do the math in their head so I reported both... I'll take a look for the new version of the App, though I admit that I'm not sure of what real value Health is since its true meaning is apparently still unknown...
GregH wrote:The 81.96% you quote is just your Ah Capacity / 66.25. As it's just an arbitrarily derived number from the Ahr capacity we should probably keep it out of the discussion here.
Last edited by TomT on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

GlennD
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Capacity vs Health

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:46 pm

GregH, The health and SOC used to be within 1%. It all changed after the update. Obviously based on 255 gids out of 281, I have more than 85%.

Oh well, maybe it will change over time. The gid number is really the only thing that counts.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Capacity vs Health

Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:13 pm

If my experience is any indication, it will drift back down to pretty close where it was pre-update over about a month of cycles...
GlennD wrote:GregH, The health and SOC used to be within 1%. It all changed after the update. Obviously based on 255 gids out of 281, I have more than 85%.
Oh well, maybe it will change over time. The gid number is really the only thing that counts.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

GregH
Posts: 860
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:16 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 26967
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Capacity vs Health

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:13 am

TomT wrote: I admit that I'm not sure of what real value Health is since its true meaning is apparently still unknown...
Ha! That's the fun part! Trying to figure it out... and the point of this thread btw.
'17 blue Volt Premier w/ACC
'12 SL black Leaf
'11 SL blue Leaf
RAV4-EV 2002-2005
Gen1 & Gen2 EV1 1997-2003
PV 2.4Kw, 10kWh lithium battery SCE TOU-DA

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Capacity vs Health

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:39 am

Another data point: I just installed the beta version of the Battery App and was surprised to find a Health reading of 67.11%.
My AHr is at 81.96% and my cell imbalance is 12Mv. The rest of the data is in my sig. This is a P3227 updated vehicle.
Last edited by TomT on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

EricBayArea
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 am
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: Capacity vs Health

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:06 am

Hey Greg,

I have been using the LeafDD for a few weeks now. I received it during normal summer weather here in inland Bay Area with mostly mid-80's highs during the day and low 60's / high 50's at night. My car is about 20-21 months. During that time I was charging to about 65-75% every few days (I don't have far commutes). I was seeing 88% "Health" from the LeafDD.

However, we just got through 2 weeks of mid-90's to 100 degree weather. Highest battery temp I saw from LeafDD was 95 one afternoon. Most of the time it was 80-85 in the afternoon (I park in underground parking at work). I was parking the car out of the garage at night so it would cool down and I only charged a few times for a few hours of L1 (because it was outside the garage where my L2 is). However, now that the heat spell is over and the battery is finally back to 5 temp bars and 70-75 degrees, the "Health" is now showing 82.XXX%.

I was pretty amazed how much that number dropped. However I still have 12 capacity bars. And I still haven't charged to 80% nor 100%.

Once I do an 80% or 100% charge I'll report back all values... but I thought it was worth reporting since it was such a significant drop in "health" yet I'm still showing 12 capacity bars. Oh, and I've had the most recent firmware upgrade from Nissan.
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

GregH
Posts: 860
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:16 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 26967
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Capacity vs Health

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 am

EricBayArea wrote:Hey Greg,

I have been using the LeafDD for a few weeks now. I received it during normal summer weather here in inland Bay Area with mostly mid-80's highs during the day and low 60's / high 50's at night. My car is about 20-21 months. During that time I was charging to about 65-75% every few days (I don't have far commutes). I was seeing 88% "Health" from the LeafDD.

However, we just got through 2 weeks of mid-90's to 100 degree weather. Highest battery temp I saw from LeafDD was 95 one afternoon. Most of the time it was 80-85 in the afternoon (I park in underground parking at work). I was parking the car out of the garage at night so it would cool down and I only charged a few times for a few hours of L1 (because it was outside the garage where my L2 is). However, now that the heat spell is over and the battery is finally back to 5 temp bars and 70-75 degrees, the "Health" is now showing 82.XXX%.

I was pretty amazed how much that number dropped. However I still have 12 capacity bars. And I still haven't charged to 80% nor 100%.

Once I do an 80% or 100% charge I'll report back all values... but I thought it was worth reporting since it was such a significant drop in "health" yet I'm still showing 12 capacity bars. Oh, and I've had the most recent firmware upgrade from Nissan.
Wow.. I haven't had the SW update yet but my Health tracks very slowly with Ahr capacity.. I wonder if the Health calculation is different with the new SW? I recall seeing some crazy Health numbers on 2013 vehicles (111% and 115%) which already had the newer software.
'17 blue Volt Premier w/ACC
'12 SL black Leaf
'11 SL blue Leaf
RAV4-EV 2002-2005
Gen1 & Gen2 EV1 1997-2003
PV 2.4Kw, 10kWh lithium battery SCE TOU-DA

Return to “LEAF CANBus”