Bluetooth?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubel

Forgive me if I'm in over my head, but in my car I have a OBDII-to-Bluetooth adapter (ELM327) that pipes data to my phone / laptop. Has anyone considered making a phone app that supports ELM327 that can also decode CANBus data?

Often the "CAN" decoding is done in the device's firmware,
and just the results sent over Bluetooth to the app.

So, it is probably a non-trivial job to modify this unit
to work with the LEAF's high-speed CAN busses.

Do you think LEAFSCAN could incorporate a bluetooth radio as an added feature? If so, it would provide the best of both worlds- a physical SOC meter that effectively displays relevant information to the driver, and a bluetooth radio that could pipe info to a variety of platforms like Android and iOS- of which the community could more easily develop closed or open source apps for.

It appears that there are SD "memory" cards that include bluetooth communication. Perhaps the LS design will support their use?

Also, there are SDIO cards that provide a bluetooth interface, but the SD card slot's interfece circuit design might need some additional (more than SD or SDHC) hardware.

Unfortunately I will not be including a Bluetooth radio in the LEAFSCAN. Initially, there will only be support for SDSC cards (up to 4GB). There is no technical reason why future software cannot be upgraded to add support for SDHC and/or SDIO cards, so this is something that will be considered. They make WiFi and Bluetooth radios in SDIO, so this support could indeed be added at some point.

-Phil

Keep at it guys, of course, if Garmin pull their finger out and code the ecoRoute HD to work with the multiple LEAF data streams there might be a nice meshing of terrain based routing, vehicle data display and quality GPS hardware...given the number of LEAFs available it's a big IF, however!

http://gbr.garmin.com/ecoroute-hd/faqs/frequently_asked_questions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ingineer said:
None of the Elm stuff is fast enough for the Leaf, and in addition you don't get the EV-CAN bus, which is where all the good stuff is.

Here's how I'm doing it.

-Phil
Phil - do you feel pretty confident in that statement (about the speed)? I understand about lack of access to the EV-CAN bus, but it sounds like that could be easily rectified with a short M-F cable with a couple of pins moved (6 & 14 to 13 & 12).

Are you aware of ANY relatively inexpensive Bluetooth-enabled OBD-II dongle that COULD read the EV-CAN bus, possibly with the above pin-swap cable?

I'm just trying to get something cheap that'll give me the SOC(GID) value. I don't need bells & whistles.

You can get SoC from the ELM 327 BT reader, it works great so far in the two days I've been using mine.

ahagge said:
... snip...
I'm just trying to get something cheap that'll give me the SOC(GID) value. I
I don't need bells & whistles.

Do you want the "real SOC" (always a percentage), or the GID value
(usually about 2 to 281), or the GID% (the GID value, as a percentage of 281)?

The GID% gives you the LEAF's estimate of the usable fuel on board as
a percentage of what a typical new 2011 or 2012 LEAF would have when
fully charged at nominal temperatures. In short, a "typical" fuel gauge
for these model LEAFs.

The SOC gauge, even after losing 50% of the LEAF's battery capacity,
will still read somewhere around 95% after filling the (shrunken) tank.
No much help as a traditional fuel gauge.

Back