TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Re: Wait time for California DMV carpool stickers?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Such an excellent command of the King's English... :lol:
BayArea wrote:DMV California $ucks - these FAT retard still processing Dec 31, 2012 application for white stickers. And this was confirmed on 2/20/2013 when I called on 2/20/2013.
California DMV full of stupid people, why can't they issue White Stickers when you apply for the plates? The reason because these retard want to earn overtime, by milking the process. Now I know why all those people are so fat, becasue they are stupid and simply incompetent.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:47 am

TomT wrote:It depends on where you live in L.A. On my 40 mile round-trip commute to work, there are almost no HOV lanes and won't be for many years... And the few that do exist are nearly as congested as the regular lanes.
Yeah the one on I-210 from Pasadena eastward is just as bad as the regular lanes during rush hour.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

bobsfreeleaf
Delivery Date: 20 Feb 2013
Leaf Number: 400283

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:36 pm

RonDawg wrote:
bobsfreeleaf wrote:In LA/OC I can't imagine driving the freeways without the HOV stickers. I'm in San Diego now, but grew up in LA/OC, and remember the nightmare, especially in that Riverside/L.A. commute. I could easily see the cost of leasing the Leaf being LESS than just the cost of the access fees, for heavy HOV users. I would think the Leaf's would be flying off the shelfs there. Funny how someone would rather be inching through traffic in their Mustang COBRA, rather than sailing through the HOV's in their free Leaf.
If you're implying that the Leaf will automatically get you free access to LA Metro's HOV lanes, you're incorrect. Metro does not give any discounts to EV drivers; the only way to use the I-110 and I-10 preferential lanes for free is to have the minimum number of people in the car, which is usually 2, but sometimes 3. You still have to have a Fastrak transponder as well, and although any Fastrak transponder will be recognized (even those from the Bay Area), if you want to get the HOV discount you have to use Metro's own Fastrak which has a switch to indicate how many people are in the car (solo, 2, 3+).

For the 91 Express Lanes, you can get a special transponder for EVs that let you drive for free, except M-F 4-6 PM in the eastbound direction in which you get a 50% discount. But on the rest of Orange County's toll roads, EVs don't get any special breaks on the tolls.

Even the Bay Area bridges don't let EV's travel for free, even if every seat is occupied..
Too bad. Who would have thougt the award of an HOV sticker to get access to HOV lanes, does not! I guess I should count my blessing here in San Diego. Our Fastrak I 15 lane flies most days (actually too fast for me, trying to go 65). I have seen so many posts of people buying the car for the HOV sticker. It shows you should do your homework. Thanks for the clarification. Bob
Slate 2013 Nissan Leaf Model S, no upgrades. $219/mo lease; $15/mo charging solution
Bobsfreeleaf

RonDawg

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:08 pm

bobsfreeleaf wrote:
RonDawg wrote:
bobsfreeleaf wrote:In LA/OC I can't imagine driving the freeways without the HOV stickers. I'm in San Diego now, but grew up in LA/OC, and remember the nightmare, especially in that Riverside/L.A. commute. I could easily see the cost of leasing the Leaf being LESS than just the cost of the access fees, for heavy HOV users. I would think the Leaf's would be flying off the shelfs there. Funny how someone would rather be inching through traffic in their Mustang COBRA, rather than sailing through the HOV's in their free Leaf.
If you're implying that the Leaf will automatically get you free access to LA Metro's HOV lanes, you're incorrect. Metro does not give any discounts to EV drivers; the only way to use the I-110 and I-10 preferential lanes for free is to have the minimum number of people in the car, which is usually 2, but sometimes 3. You still have to have a Fastrak transponder as well, and although any Fastrak transponder will be recognized (even those from the Bay Area), if you want to get the HOV discount you have to use Metro's own Fastrak which has a switch to indicate how many people are in the car (solo, 2, 3+).

For the 91 Express Lanes, you can get a special transponder for EVs that let you drive for free, except M-F 4-6 PM in the eastbound direction in which you get a 50% discount. But on the rest of Orange County's toll roads, EVs don't get any special breaks on the tolls.

Even the Bay Area bridges don't let EV's travel for free, even if every seat is occupied..
Too bad. Who would have thougt the award of an HOV sticker to get access to HOV lanes, does not! I guess I should count my blessing here in San Diego. Our Fastrak I 15 lane flies most days (actually too fast for me, trying to go 65). I have seen so many posts of people buying the car for the HOV sticker. It shows you should do your homework. Thanks for the clarification. Bob
Yup, you have to do your homework. Otherwise at best it will be money wasted, at worst you can get a really expensive ticket.

It gets confusing because except for the 91 Express Lanes, which were purpose built, the lanes being converted to preferential were formerly HOV-only lanes. So one day an EV can drive on them solo, the next day you need a Fastrak. Just as confusing is how the different systems handle true HOV discounts; for the 91 Express, there is a special lane at the toll plaza for you to enter, but for Metro, you have to use their special Fastrak with a switch that indicates solo, 2, or 3+ in the car. But that white or green sticker doesn't give you free access to those lanes.

Even more confusing is that you can pay to drive solo on 91 Express or I-110, but I-10 still has signs posted saying you have to be HOV-2 (or 3 depending on the time) to be in those lanes even though the overhead signs show differences in pricing between solo and HOV :roll:
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.

bobsfreeleaf
Delivery Date: 20 Feb 2013
Leaf Number: 400283

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:08 am

Too bad. Who would have thougt the award of an HOV sticker to get access to HOV lanes, does not! I guess I should count my blessing here in San Diego. Our Fastrak I 15 lane flies most days (actually too fast for me, trying to go 65). I have seen so many posts of people buying the car for the HOV sticker. It shows you should do your homework. Thanks for the clarification. Bob[/quote]
Yup, you have to do your homework. Otherwise at best it will be money wasted, at worst you can get a really expensive ticket.

It gets confusing because except for the 91 Express Lanes, which were purpose built, the lanes being converted to preferential were formerly HOV-only lanes. So one day an EV can drive on them solo, the next day you need a Fastrak. Just as confusing is how the different systems handle true HOV discounts; for the 91 Express, there is a special lane at the toll plaza for you to enter, but for Metro, you have to use their special Fastrak with a switch that indicates solo, 2, or 3+ in the car. But that white or green sticker doesn't give you free access to those lanes.

Even more confusing is that you can pay to drive solo on 91 Express or I-110, but I-10 still has signs posted saying you have to be HOV-2 (or 3 depending on the time) to be in those lanes even though the overhead signs show differences in pricing between solo and HOV :roll:
Hard to believe you guys are still basically driving the same freeway system that existed when the Beatles were playing at the Hollywood Bowl :shock:..... But now we build a bullet train to Bakersfield. :lol:..... Guess I shouldn't laugh, it's paid for with my tax dollars, and it doesn't even stop in San Diego. :?
Slate 2013 Nissan Leaf Model S, no upgrades. $219/mo lease; $15/mo charging solution
Bobsfreeleaf

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 am

I applied for my stickers ~2/20/13, They were postmarked 4/10- the day I left home for my Bay Area LEAF trip...

On the positive side, I won't have to put them on, and uglyfy my LEAF, until the next time I travel the ~200 miles south, to the nearest HOV lanes.
no condition is permanent

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:59 am

Roadshow: DMV backlog keeps drivers out of the carpool lane:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mr-roadshow/ ... source=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (published 4/19/13)
Q I purchased a new 2012 Honda Civic CNG vehicle on Feb. 5. DMV rules stipulate you must wait for your permanent plates before applying for the white HOV stickers. My plates arrived on Feb. 26 and my application was mailed the following day.

As of this email, I am still without my stickers!

I finally got a hold of someone at the DMV on April 10 who said stickers go out in order of when received (postmark), and due to overwhelming demand, they were backlogged and working on applications received on Feb. 19!

This is nuts! Why can't I get something temporarily from the dealer to enjoy HOV access until the permanent ones are issued? My car is clearly marked CNG on the back.

David Larson

Antioch

A Temporary stickers won't be sent out, but the DMV says a surge in sticker requests has caused delays in getting them mailed to you. Normally, you should get your stickers within a couple of weeks. The state says the backlog should ease soon.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:42 am

gee. if you cut the budget, stop hiring and in effect cut staff, and add forced furloughs, the DMV runs more slowly. who would have thought that would happen?
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

RonDawg

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:35 pm

I just got back home after being away from a week, and noticed my HOV stickers were in my mailbox waiting for me. YAY! It would be 3 months after I bought my car, and a bit more than 2 months after I got my license plates.

Not so YAY!: the number and size of those stickers. I can see ONE on the right side of the bumper, similar to the inspection stickers you see on Hawaiian-plated cars. But three? And why do the ones on the sides have to be so enormous?

leafedbehind
Delivery Date: 11 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 8198

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 pm

I got my Fit EV in November 2012. It took over three months to get the plates, then almost two more months to get the carpool stickers, which arrived yesterday.
2011 SL-e, silver, VIN 8198, delivered 11 Sep 2011. 37k miles, ~200 GIDs, 9 bars (1st bar lost 3 April 2014 @20,700 mi, 3rd bar lost Aug 2017)
2015 e-Golf SEL
2013 Fit EV, VIN 151, delivered 17 Nov 2012, lease return Nov 2015 at 30k miles
7.7kW solar PV

Return to “Pacific USA”