SEATTLE AREA; 100,000 Mile Celebration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

Hopefully this gets the attention (without a subforum) we need but there will be a gathering at the Tumwater DCFC 9 AM this coming Monday the 16th to honor Steve Marsh hitting 100 G's on his LEAF. WSDOT and Nissan will be there.

We want to be to be represented in force. Steve and WSDOT would like 5 LEAF owners to be present for the ceremonies. Granted its short notice during the week so if you can PM me, or chime in.

Due to charging logistics for people who have to journey to be there, I am open to anyone who might want to come early to recharge before the events start or who needs time to charge after the event is over. I am available to ferry you around for coffee, breakfast, lunch or whatever.

Unlike the Tesla SC, there is minimal facilities (other than gas station food) available in reasonable walking distance

DaveinOlyWA said:
Hopefully this gets the attention (without a subforum) we need but there will be a gathering at the Tumwater DCFC 9 AM this coming Monday the 16th to honor Steve Marsh hitting 100 G's on his LEAF. WSDOT and Nissan will be there.

We want to be to be represented in force. Steve and WSDOT would like 5 LEAF owners to be present for the ceremonies. Granted its short notice during the week so if you can PM me, or chime in.

Due to charging logistics for people who have to journey to be there, I am open to anyone who might want to come early to recharge before the events start or who needs time to charge after the event is over. I am available to ferry you around for coffee, breakfast, lunch or whatever.

Unlike the Tesla SC, there is minimal facilities (other than gas station food) available in reasonable walking distance

Dave,
Try and get LBA data (mileage, Ah, etc.) for Steve's LEAF at the event if you can. I think everyone is interested in how his battery is performing.

Thanks

If it's to be a "show and tell", another nice display would be a 5000 gallon fuel tanker truck to park alongside, with some label like, "A 20MPG gasoline-powered car would have consumed this much fuel to drive the 100Kmiles", maybe with an "at an average price of $8000" in parentheses. And maybe a nice pyramid of 40 oilcans and 10 oil filters with a label like "The oil changes that an electric car doesn't need to travel 100Kmiles".

i can check on specifics but he is averaging 217 to 218 GIDs and has 10 CPs left. lost 2nd CP within a few weeks of losing his first in Aug/Sept 2013.

but guessing his pack has been relatively stable.

FYI; i have had IDENTICAL ahr/Hx reading the past EIGHT days in a row. during this time, batt temps have been in the low 40's. OAT has been hovering between 15-25 º F and the ONLY time batt temp has been over 60ºF was during a QC.

now, this QC caused my ahr/Hx to change for a few days (keep in mind, during period of Sept to the cold snap, my ahr/Hx changed EVERY day) but before that, it had gone 6 active days (had a trip in there) without a change. so in a nutshell

sept; get LEAF Spy... ahr changes daily slowly bouncing up then down.

late Nov; weather gets colder, work slows down, i drive less (going from 60-80 miles a day to 25ish miles) ahr stops changing, settling in for a total of 12 days sandwiched between trip to Japan for 6 days.

I return to static ahr for two days, then QC twice in a 3 day period which caused ahr to bounce around a bit but it quickly settles again to a static number where it remains to this day.

work is now either local (less than 30 miles RT) or north of Seattle (minimum 160 miles RT) so using the gasser. so its looking like until i heat up the batteries a bit, my pack is frozen in time... now his amount of driving could mean his pack is warmed up enough but have to think that is not the case. L2 charging really does not provide that much heat

I'll be there with my 55k LEAF. I plan to get there early to try to charge.

Just to confirm, the address is 6131 Capitol Blvd SE, Tumwater WA 98501?

Thanks everyone. There will be DOT staff there as well. Won't be a long event. Sorry about the week day but that is when state staff is available. Two Nissan staff also attending.

Dave's info is correct on my car's details.

Congratulations! I would sure like to get your data to compare against the Battery Aging Model:

--Date of Manufacture (month and year)
--Date of Delivery (month, day and year)
--Date of P3227 update
--Geographic location - be specific, must include city and state, otherwise data of no use (also include work location city and state and days Leaf spends at work if climate significantly different than home)
--Average miles/kwh for the life of your Leaf (your best guestimate OK)
--Current odometer reading (i.e. total miles your Leaf has been driven)
--Current AH capacity reading from LeafDD or Leaf Battery App
Exact date you took current odometer reading and current AH capacity
Days per week parked in the sun (fractional days OK)

Someone posted that Nissan loan him a car once it hit 100k, to keep it there for Mondays event.

Going to be interesting to see if he is rewarded with something. Maybe 100.00 off on this next leaf.

Fred

TaylorSFGuy sent me the info on his car to plug in to the Battery Aging Model:

--Date of Manufacture (month and year) 03/11
--Date of Delivery (month, day and year) 05/13/11
--Date of P3227 update exact date - not sure - about 10 days after it was announced
--Geographic location - be specific, must include city and state, otherwise data of no use (also include work location city and state and days Leaf spends at work if climate significantly different than home) Kent WA
--Average miles/kwh for the life of your Leaf (your best guestimate OK) 4.2
--Current odometer reading (i.e. total miles your Leaf has been driven) 99,760 - timed to hit 100K on 12/16/13
--Current AH capacity reading from LeafDD or Leaf Battery App 51.23AH and 59.59 Health - keeps flipping back so I think I got that correct
Exact date you took current odometer reading and current AH capacity Today - 12/13/13
Days per week parked in the sun (fractional days OK)
Not much sun up here except in Summer - say average of 1 day per week

Using Seattle (closest location available) Battery Aging Model Gives:

Predicted Loss: 23.02%

Actual Loss: 22.67%

Predicted Minus Actual Loss: 0.34%

Conclusion: Battery Aging Model holding up extremely well up to 100,000 miles in very cool climate.

So a 22% capacity loss ?

SO 75 average miles from new to 58 now or less in cold.

Are we now in the age of disposable cars ? is 46-58 miles really useful ? does this mean a lot more fast charging which will mean faster degradation ?

Nissan won't install a new battery only "repair" are the general non EV enthusiast public going to accept this ?

Nissan may celebrate this publicly announce "wow after 100,000 miles our Leaf can now travel a terrific 58 miles, though in the cold this may be much less"

I think I'd keep quiet about that to be honest, while it may be good from a battery point of view I just don't think the public will think that a car with a life of 100,000 miles is of any use, particularly to people who would buy 2nd hand cars and drive well beyond 100,000 miles. Sure enough it could probably retire to being a 2nd car but then you're going to need either a brand new Leaf or an ice car.

Does anyone know if fast charging has helped degrade the battery ?

Forgive me if I sound a bit negative and I love the Leaf and would love to have one, but I usually don't buy new cars and they are much more expensive here, I've been waiting for 2nd hand leafs to come at a decent price but it looks like I'd have to wait a while longer. And at that I'd probably get one with 50,000 miles on the clock, only to know now that I'll most likely see a 20% capacity reduction after 50k miles use. So it would mean making a work commute to just hardly being able to not at all.

I think there should be some kind of battery buy back program where Nissan buy back your old battery and install a new one, for not a huge amount of money, they can then sell it to companies for renewable energy storage.

75 miles??? wow, cant believe the EPA really got that much mileage out of that statement.

remember that figure is an average of a full charge and 80 % charge.

either way, if you want your car on display Tonia is requesting you be there by 8:30ish so you can be lined up for photo ops right when the festivities begin. email below

You are invited to an event on Monday to celebrate a fellow Nissan LEAF owner who has driven 100,000 miles, the highest-mileage LEAF driver known in the USA.

Come cheer on Steve Marsh as he is recognized for his dedication for driving electric. We have limited space to park a row of 4 or 5 Nissan LEAFs at the event site. Please let me know if you want to arrive by 8:30 a.m. and park in one of these prominent spots.

Here are the event details:

Media invited to recognition event for Washington driver reaching 100,000 all-electric-vehicle-miles

OLYMPIA – The media is invited to attend a celebration for a Washington resident who has driven 100,000 miles in an electric car, the first known Nissan LEAF owner in the nation to reach this unique milestone.

Join Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, State Transportation Secretary Lynn Peterson and representatives from Nissan as they congratulate Kent resident Steve Marsh for driving 100,000 miles without using a drop of gas. His 130-mile roundtrip daily commute is made possible with home charging, public fast charging along the West Coast Electric Highway, and workplace charging at Taylor Shellfish Farms in Shelton.

Washington Nissan LEAF owner celebrates 100,000 all-electric miles

When: 9:30 a.m. Monday, Dec. 16

Where: Tumwater Shell and Deli Mart
Electric Vehicle Charging Station
6131 Capitol Blvd SE
Tumwater, WA 98501

Speakers: Gov. Jay Inslee
Transportation Secretary Lynn Peterson
Erik Gottfried, Nissan North America, Inc.
Bill Taylor, Taylor Shellfish Farms
Steve Marsh, Washington resident and 100,000-mile Nissan LEAF driver

Visuals Steve Marsh and his Nissan LEAF with odometer at 100,000+ miles
Gov. Jay Inslee presenting Governor’s Recognition Award
West Coast Electric Highway electric vehicle fast charging station
Shell signs showing current gas prices

Directions: Take I-5 south to exit 102 for Trosper Rd
Turn left onto Trosper Rd SW
Turn right onto Capitol Blvd SE
Shell station will be on the right.
Please park on the street or at a neighboring business to avoid blocking vehicle flow to gas pumps.

I'm just thinking, if the battery readings are at 40F which is pretty cold, I mean it's being 50F-58F here so far this winter, pretty damn mild. So would 40F not give a lower battery ah reading ? and should this not be done when the battery is at 20 C ?

So I take it the Leaf has not required any maintenance in this 100,000 period ? impressive.

I'm working this out that a car over here that gets 45 imp miles per gallon or 37.46 U.S mpg has saved a whopping 10,104 Litres of petrol or diesel !

That's 15,661 Euro's or 21,521 USD (based on Irish rip off fuel prices) ! - electricity of course. Not including free public charging and maintenance savings.

Thank you to everyone that came out today. It was good to see the forum members that came on down to Tumwater. Once I get some work done, I'll put some more information here. Steve

Back