Is it ok to leave EVSE plugged into 240V all the time?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManCan

Hi,

My apologies if this has been covered already. New Leaf owner here and very happy about it so far. I have the 14-50 installed in my garage and completed my first charge last night. My question is whether it is ok to leave the Nissan supplied EVSE cable plugged into the 14-50 all the time? I am not planning to carry the cable with me and don't wish to keep plugging / unplugging it every time I charge at home so that I do not wear down the 14-50 outlet and cause trouble down the road. Kindly let me know if the EVSE is ok to remain plugged in and powered up in Ready mode.

Thanks for your kind inputs.

(You might include what year your LEAF is.)

Yes, leaving the EVSE plugged into the 14-50 not only fine, but preferable, as you don't want to cause wear inside the receptacle by constantly unplugging/re-plugging it.

Just don't leave the EVSE connected to the car after it has completed charging, as older LEAFs (pre 2018) definitely had a problem draining the 12V battery when the EVSE was left connected (for days). This may not be a problem with newer LEAFs.

My apologies for omitting year info and perhaps not writing more clearly. The leaf in question is a new 2022 SL Plus. The question is not for the scenario where I have the car connected to the EVSE say waiting for a charge that night. The question is related to only the EVSE remaining plugged into the wall (240V 14-50) while I am away driving and / or not charging for a few days. Hope this helps clarify my question. Thank you

alozzy said:
FWIW, I leave my EVSE plugged in all the time, have done so for more than 3 years now without issue.

Thank you! This is the exact insight I was looking for. Most appreciated. Have a great day!

My father leaves his Nissan EVSE plugged in continuously to a 14-50 plug but he added a disconnect switch to turn power off to it. Personally, I think that was a waste of money and possibly even counter-productive since I'd say most electronics will last longer with a constant power supply instead of being powered on/off multiple times.

goldbrick said:
My father leaves his Nissan EVSE plugged in continuously to a 14-50 plug but he added a disconnect switch to turn power off to it. Personally, I think that was a waste of money and possibly even counter-productive since I'd say most electronics will last longer with a constant power supply instead of being powered on/off multiple times.
You are absolutely correct!
I have had my original (modified for 240v) Nissan/Panasonic EVSE plugged for over 10 years...

I keep a Nissan 120/240v EVSE permanently plugged in. I never remove the plug from the wall 14-50R outlet BUT when the car isn’t connected I disconnect power to the outlet with the panel circuit breaker. The breaker is a few feet from the EVSE outlet which makes it easy.

I had a Clipper Creek plugged into that outlet originally and never flipped the breaker. One time after a short power company outage the Clipper Creek threw an error and would not charge. So no I power the outlet down when not plugged into the car.

Back