How to check 2019 Leaf battery health

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarieC

Hi from Queensland, Australia! We are considering buying a 2019 Leaf ZE1, which has done about 21,000km (13,000 miles). Presumably the battery should still be in excellent condition, but how can we check? At 100% charge it shows 276km, which is about as expected. But is there more to check than just that?

The 2018 models had a white "Battery Capacity" indicator bar with 12 segments/bars to show the battery's health. Is there such a thing in the 2019 model? Here are the images we have from the dealer, but none seem to show those 12 bars. Thank you!

ORHwyO.jpg
[
dXvX5J.jpg

NIEeJb.jpg

There should be a battery capacity screen in there - you have to explore all of the vertical and horizontal pages, using the shuttle on the left side of the steering wheel. You an also use LeafSpy Pro, and the OBDII port reader in my signature, to read battery health more precisely.

If the dealer can show those pictures, they can show the battery health picture as well. As Leftie says, it is one of those same menu items scrollable with the left hand on the steering wheel, and it will (probably) look like a simple white bar with 100% on the right hand end. There are 12 faint segments to the bar.....

On 2019 SL Plus (at least my USA version), the battery capacity indicator is part of the far left menu group. That is the same group that shows the battery temperature bar graph and battery charge level (picture of battery showing estimate of 3.5 hours to full charge). The capacity bar graph on 2019 has 12 tick marks to clearly show capacity segments (bars).

Thanks so much everyone, with a bit of prompting they found the screen, and I was pleased to see the expected 12 full bars of battery! We are buying the car! SO EXCITED!

MarieC said:
Thanks so much everyone, with a bit of prompting they found the screen, and I was pleased to see the expected 12 full bars of battery! We are buying the car! SO EXCITED!
Just be aware that the 12th capacity bar does not drop until about 15% of capacity is lost. You would be a lot more informed by an OBD2/LeafSpy reading that would tell you where in the .85x -- 0.99x of new car range the car is at.

SageBrush said:
MarieC said:
Just be aware that the 12th capacity bar does not drop until about 15% of capacity is lost. You would be a lot more informed by an OBD2/LeafSpy reading that would tell you where in the .85x -- 0.99x of new car range the car is at.
We don't know if the capacity bar thresholds are the same on later cars as on the earlier ones. The first version of the 2011 service manual outlined the thresholds, but later manuals do not give that information. I know that my 2015 followed the levels in the the 2011 manual, but it will be a few years before I know if the the 2019 has the same thresholds. At any rate, congratulations to MarieC--enjoy the car!

GerryAZ said:
We don't know if the capacity bar thresholds are the same on later cars as on the earlier ones. The first version of the 2011 service manual outlined the thresholds, but later manuals do not give that information. I know that my 2015 followed the levels in the the 2011 manual, but it will be a few years before I know if the the 2019 has the same thresholds. At any rate, congratulations to MarieC--enjoy the car!
You reminded me of some posts a while ago that implied that Nissan had hidden even more degradation in the first bar than was true in the Gen1 cars. All the more reason to not rely on "12 bars" as an indication of battery health.

Back