Remote climate control

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna999

When remote climate control is turned on are the seat heaters supposed to turn on?
When I get in the car I can feel the cabin heater working and the steering wheel heater lamp is on but I don’t see the seat heater lights on.

The seat heaters will be on IF the switch(es) are in the On position. The car can't override a physical On/Off switch as it can a logic switch like the steering wheel heater button.

Why doesn’t it tell you all this in the manual? Also a physical switch and associated lamp can have a software controlled circuit in parallel that can switch the seat heater on and be switched off with the other heater controls when the Start button is pressed irrespective of the physical switch’s state.
By the way have you tried your solution?

Nissan doesn't like to spend money on things like parallel seat heater circuits. If you mean by 'have you tried your solution?' do I set the seat heaters to On? Yes, I've been driving Leafs for 8 years, and leaving the seat heater switch(es) on results in the seat heaters turning On with remote climate control starts.

Anna999 said:
Why doesn’t it tell you all this in the manual?
Page 2-56 to Page 2-57 in the manual. It tells you that the steering wheel heater can be activated by the "Remote Climate Control", when it talks about the heated seats, it specifically does NOT say those are controlled by the "Remote Climate Control". :roll:
Also a physical switch and associated lamp can have a software controlled circuit in parallel that can switch the seat heater on and be switched off with the other heater controls when the Start button is pressed irrespective of the physical switch’s state.
That's exactly what he said, just phrased in a different way. :p
By the way have you tried your solution?
No need to, I think he explained the operation quite well and politely given your, somewhat passive aggressive response. :cool:

In my climate it isn't really a problem, we turn on the heated seats in probably November and don't turn them off until April. The heated steering wheel is another story. While it always comes on during preheat the problem I have is it FREQUENTLY turns itself off! It kind of bugs me, I'll be driving along not really thinking about it when I realize my hands aren't warm, I'll look down and the damn heated steering wheel light is off :(
I know it's a first-world problem but I sure wish it would stay ON and not turn off until I actually turn it off, something I'd probably never do, again at least from November to April. Are the newer Leafs similar in periodically turning off the heated steering wheel? in a way, I kinda wish it was a mechanical button like the seats, that and High/Low like the seats, even at the expense of not being able to turn them on during preheat, well unless they were physically turned on at the switch.

jjeff said:
In my climate it isn't really a problem, we turn on the heated seats in probably November and don't turn them off until April. The heated steering wheel is another story. While it always comes on during preheat the problem I have is it FREQUENTLY turns itself off! It kind of bugs me, I'll be driving along not really thinking about it when I realize my hands aren't warm, I'll look down and the damn heated steering wheel light is off :(
I know it's a first-world problem but I sure wish it would stay ON and not turn off until I actually turn it off, something I'd probably never do, again at least from November to April. Are the newer Leafs similar in periodically turning off the heated steering wheel? in a way, I kinda wish it was a mechanical button like the seats, that and High/Low like the seats, even at the expense of not being able to turn them on during preheat, well unless they were physically turned on at the switch.

Between the Gen 1 and Gen 2, the function was just to warm up the steering wheel, not be a continuous heater, so I think both generations turn off the steering wheel heater after (30) minutes of operation if no interruptions? That means if you drive to the store in 10 minutes and turn the Leaf off while the steering wheel heater was on, come back later, it will reset again for another (30) minutes of heating when you start it back up again, but if you drive for an extended period of time, eventually it will shut off.

[edit] 15 minutes is for climate control, but I know it stays on longer than that from personal experience, just not sure how long it is yet... ;)
[edit2] Tested on mine, steering wheel heater stays on for 30 minutes before turning off automatically when driving

knightmb said:
[edit] 15 minutes is for climate control, but I know it stays on longer than that from personal experience, just not sure how long it is yet... ;)
Mine stays on longer than that but like you, I've never tested it. It stays on after turning the car off and back on but just occasionally turns itself off. Well actually I've never determined if it actually doesn't come on occasionally or shuts itself off, all I know is I'll think to myself, my hands aren't nice and warm and will look down(in the most inconvenient place to look so I don't notice the light is OFF until I purposely look) and the light will be off :x
I'd guess it's about every 10-20 times of driving the Leaf I notice the steering wheel not heating and again I'd basically never turn it off in the winter, I love my heated steering wheel, even more than the seats, although the seats are nice also :D

LeftieBiker said:
It seems to me that the steering wheel heater stays on for about 30 minutes.
Would you say it was communitive? that is the time pauses after you turn the car off and then restarts after you turn it back on? I basically never drive my Leaf for 30 minutes straight, mostly 5-15 minute short trips so the clock pausing would be a more plausible explanation of what's going on as I don't have to turn on my steering wheel heater every time I get in the car, I just have to turn it on every once in a while.

jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:
It seems to me that the steering wheel heater stays on for about 30 minutes.
Would you say it was communitive? that is the time pauses after you turn the car off and then restarts after you turn it back on? I basically never drive my Leaf for 30 minutes straight, mostly 5-15 minute short trips so the clock pausing would be a more plausible explanation of what's going on as I don't have to turn on my steering wheel heater every time I get in the car, I just have to turn it on every once in a while.

I did an experiment, I turned on my steering wheel heater for 20 minutes, then shut off the Leaf, waited 30 minutes, turn the Leaf back on and the steering wheel heater came back on as I expected. I waited 10 minutes and checked again, the wheel heater was still on. I checked back in 20 minutes, still on, checked back right at the 30 minute mark and watched it myself, the heater turned off at 30 minutes from when the Leaf was turned on the second time.

Conclusion: The steering wheel heater timer is reset every time you turn off the Leaf and turn on at a later time. But, if you wait out the 30 minutes it will turn off and stay off until you turn it back on.

jjeff said:
From manual p2-33
“Push the heated steering wheel switch to warm the steering wheel when the power switch is in the ACC or ON position. If the surface temperature of the steering wheel is below approximately 68°F (20°C), the system will heat the steering wheel and cycle off and on to maintain a temperature above 68°F (20°C). The indicator light will remain on as long as the system is on.”

Would you say it was communitive? that is the time pauses after you turn the car off and then restarts after you turn it back on?

It seems to me that it resets when the car is turned off, but I don't want to state that as fact. There may be a short window during which if you restart the car the timer doesn't reset - I just don't know.

LeftieBiker said:
Would you say it was communitive? that is the time pauses after you turn the car off and then restarts after you turn it back on?

It seems to me that it resets when the car is turned off, but I don't want to state that as fact. There may be a short window during which if you restart the car the timer doesn't reset - I just don't know.
I do know I currently basically never use my Leaf for more than about 20 minutes but I occasionally find the heated steering wheel OFF, this tells me it must be somewhat commutative but again you guys have newer Leafs and maybe they changed things for those.

Back