Leaf vs. Kia Soul quandry

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwirky

Couldn't find anything on search, so here goes...

My question is for anyone out there who has traded a Kia Soul for a Leaf- what do you think? Pros, cons? How do they compare in handling/room? Operating costs?

Background:
I own a 2010 Kia Soul, Special Edition #1 (Denim). On a good day I get 27 mpg. I love the car- satellite radio, cool exterior, moonroof, enough room to pack 4 people in...getting close to 20,000 miles on it. However, I'm bad about wanting a new car every 2-3 years. I can't help it!

I drive 26 miles round trip to work daily at 70 mph. Gas here in central TX is $3.40/gallon, so that's roughly $3.50+/day to drive to work. ($105/month if I go to town every day)

If gas prices remain stable (ha!) and I traded "up" to a Leaf, I'd almost break even on monthly costs- I'd lease the Leaf for $100 more than my Kia loan payment. Insurance would be about the same as on the Soul. I'd be out whatever the charging station costs (minus the 30% tax rebate) and electricity. And I like the principle of EVs...

I live in the country, and I can see a line of wind turbines from my backyard. I think it would be awesome to have a car powered by wind energy. (Though I know the energy goes into the massive electron pot so who actually knows where it goes...still...)

Thanks for your input. I am wavering and about to fall over the edge!!!!!

[reposted to correct forum]

Not a fan of the monthly payment mindset. But if that is your criteria, then the $100 difference makes it a no brainer.

Leases typically are for 12K or 15K miles per year.

And yes, there are several threads on solar PV systems, making the Leaf a truly zero energy car.

If you can get over range anxiety (~ 80 miles a day), it is a lovely car.

Maybe, just maybe TCO (total cost of ownership) is a better indicator than monthly payment.

The monthly payment mindset is pervasive in America. Our government's kick the can far down the road is a fine indicator of that.

Debt is slavery.

pjoseph said:
Maybe, just maybe TCO (total cost of ownership) is a better indicator than monthly payment.

The monthly payment mindset is pervasive in America. ...
I'm sure everyone criticizing bought their cars for cash, saved painfully from their tip money. There aren't many of us who can make these major purchase decisions without taking into account the effect on our monthly cash flow. Anyway, since the OP admits to "wanting a new car every 2-3 years", I'd guess that total cost of ownership for him pretty much equals monthly payments plus fuel costs plus insurance, much as he's laid it out.

Not criticism. Just a different POV.

And missed the OP's part about wanting a new car every 2-3 years. Guess that is what leasing is all about.

BTW, our Leaf replaced TWO old cars (1988 Acura Legend and 1997 Honda CR-V, both of which were at ~200K miles). We still have a 2005 Honda Ody.

Currently have both. My Kia! is a fun car and easy to maintain, but there are not even comparable in fit and and ride quality. The Kia IMO is more utility. The leaf is quiet and smooth. Cost wise, depends on rebates, future gas prices, etc. I got SCE TOU-D-TEV rate and even with charging, my electric bill went down ~ $20.00/mo due to shifting most of my use to Super Off Peak rates, so I drive for free which off sets some of the increased cost to purchase the Leaf. Besides, I can't drive my Kia solo in the HOV lane. I drive 65miles round trip to work, if I only went 26 miles round trip it would be more like 80mph :eek:

BTW insurance on the 2010 Kia=1,100/year, on the Leaf = 1,800/year same coverage.

Summary:
I like to drive the Leaf waaaaay better. I need the Kia for longer trips and hauling stuff around.

Back