TPSMs and tire changes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikro

I should get my Leaf this wednesday or so. I will probably install snow tires within the next couple of months since I live in Reno. I have never owned a car with TPSMs. will I have to replace these sensors every time I change tires out (twice a year).? Do I have to take it to the dealer to get the warning system reset as implied in the manual? Any advice would be welcome.

mikro said:
I should get my Leaf this wednesday or so. I will probably install snow tires within the next couple of months since I live in Reno. I have never owned a car with TPSMs. will I have to replace these sensors every time I change tires out (twice a year).? Do I have to take it to the dealer to get the warning system reset as implied in the manual? Any advice would be welcome.

You don't have to do anything with the sensors. Just don't break them !!!

Tire shops are well versed in these sensors now.

I found it cheaper for our Prius to just buy a second set to tires and wheels for the winter (we need them a little more up the hill then you do there).

The cost of the sensors was ridiculous - so I just went without. The tire icon lights up on the dash all winter, but it it doesn't bother you, that seems to be the only downside.

So now instead of paying someone to mount tires twice a year, I just swap the tires myself.

With TireRack right in Reno - it makes it easy to get - they will even mount the new snows on the new rims, so you just have to stick them on.

Back