danrjones
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:35 am

Very odd

I wonder why? It would seem strange that the car would only recalculate every 3 months. Plus my SOH was slowly dropping before.

I wonder how "real" that measurement even is.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14107
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:18 pm

danrjones wrote:Very odd

I wonder why? It would seem strange that the car would only recalculate every 3 months. Plus my SOH was slowly dropping before.

I wonder how "real" that measurement even is.
Well, mine drops like .01% every 2-5 days otherwise it stays the same except for April (pickup in Feb but build date jan) July, Oct, Jan and April...

Here is a blog on my one year anniversary. Its a long one but pay particular attention to the "Degradation" section.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... -leaf.html


Now this was in Feb so we have past the next predicted "adjustment" that would have happened in April... So that was in a later post and I found that several others are seeing the exact same thing

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... rches.html
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

danrjones
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:36 am

Yes that sounds almost the same as mine. Mine is dropping a bit faster but then it sat around in the desert heat for a full year on a dealer lot so it has some catching up to do.

I was down to SOH 95.56 yesterday

That's a two percent drop now in about 5 days.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

danrjones
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:52 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
danrjones wrote:Very odd

I wonder why? It would seem strange that the car would only recalculate every 3 months. Plus my SOH was slowly dropping before.

I wonder how "real" that measurement even is.
Well, mine drops like .01% every 2-5 days otherwise it stays the same except for April (pickup in Feb but build date jan) July, Oct, Jan and April...

Here is a blog on my one year anniversary. Its a long one but pay particular attention to the "Degradation" section.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... -leaf.html


Now this was in Feb so we have past the next predicted "adjustment" that would have happened in April... So that was in a later post and I found that several others are seeing the exact same thing

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... rches.html

Good blog by the way!

I bought instead of leasing, and I'm in a hot climate, but I got such a cheap price I can't really loose. Since its at least guaranteed to have 9 bars (what percent that is, 60-70 ish?) through 8 years.

I'm going to start graphing out my degradation but I've been waiting to collect more data.

Oh, and I'm one of "those" who likes a digital speedometer. The analog doesn't bother me but it is annoying only one page has a digital version. I wish the big page version of the Kw (Power) usage (seen in your blog) had the speed in the center instead of charge miles. Minor gripe though.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

danrjones
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:03 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
danrjones wrote:Very odd

I wonder why? It would seem strange that the car would only recalculate every 3 months. Plus my SOH was slowly dropping before.

I wonder how "real" that measurement even is.
Well, mine drops like .01% every 2-5 days otherwise it stays the same except for April (pickup in Feb but build date jan) July, Oct, Jan and April...

Here is a blog on my one year anniversary. Its a long one but pay particular attention to the "Degradation" section.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... -leaf.html


Now this was in Feb so we have past the next predicted "adjustment" that would have happened in April... So that was in a later post and I found that several others are seeing the exact same thing

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... rches.html

You were spot-on

After the big drop its back to .01 or so per day.

I'd post a graph of mine but I don't think I can. But from June 13 at SOH 97.42 is dropped to 95.42 on June 17th. AMPHr has a corresponding drop.
But Hx did not. My HX graph looks a lot more like a heat exposure graph, as it seems to mirror the temperatures. When I got the car it was a bit warm, then we had a rainy and cool may, and now its HOT. That's a bit like what Hx graph looks like to me.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

spirilis
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 7:28 am
Delivery Date: 11 May 2017

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:21 am

Evoforce wrote:
metricus wrote:So let's go back to my initial questions:
does anyone have a 2019? does it behave the same? I'd like to understand if my specimen has a problem or i have to just get used to it.
I wish you and others, to not get duped into buying, what amounts to a large battery city car. Nissan did not care to engineer Leaf to be a road trip car even though marketing says it is. The larger American EV market needs a car that they feel is as capable as ICE. The Leafs Achilles Heal is still the battery and its poor design. Also, if Nissan's future is a cabin air cooled battery, that, has proven to be a fail by other manufacturers also. I wish you better luck...
In 2017 I went with a Ford Focus Electric over a Leaf chiefly due to the TMS with A/C involvement and despite some claims I keep reading that LG botched the chemistry for the batteries in the Ford, after 2 years and 50K miles I have lost maybe 5 miles of range in the summer vs when it was new and I've DCFC'd 3-4 times a day at times. Mostly L2 and always charging to 100% at home even on 95+F days.

TMS matters whether you like it or not. Nissan just stubbornly refuses to get the memo.

ChozoGhost79
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:29 pm
Delivery Date: 19 Apr 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 pm

spirilis wrote:
Evoforce wrote:
metricus wrote:So let's go back to my initial questions:
does anyone have a 2019? does it behave the same? I'd like to understand if my specimen has a problem or i have to just get used to it.
I wish you and others, to not get duped into buying, what amounts to a large battery city car. Nissan did not care to engineer Leaf to be a road trip car even though marketing says it is. The larger American EV market needs a car that they feel is as capable as ICE. The Leafs Achilles Heal is still the battery and its poor design. Also, if Nissan's future is a cabin air cooled battery, that, has proven to be a fail by other manufacturers also. I wish you better luck...
In 2017 I went with a Ford Focus Electric over a Leaf chiefly due to the TMS with A/C involvement and despite some claims I keep reading that LG botched the chemistry for the batteries in the Ford, after 2 years and 50K miles I have lost maybe 5 miles of range in the summer vs when it was new and I've DCFC'd 3-4 times a day at times. Mostly L2 and always charging to 100% at home even on 95+F days.

TMS matters whether you like it or not. Nissan just stubbornly refuses to get the memo.
I can attest to that with my 2019 Plus. TMS does matter!

WetEV
Posts: 3049
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:53 pm

spirilis wrote:TMS matters whether you like it or not.
My battery never gets warm enough for even a aggressive TMS to turn on.

Why should TMS matter to me?
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

cwerdna
Posts: 9680
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:25 pm

FWIW, I was inside and and top of the parking structure at my work and plugging in cars. I could definitely hear the thermal management running on various vehicles (e.g. Volts and Teslas) charging on L2 (208 volt, 30 amp EVSEs).

High forecasted temp for my city was 85 or 88 F, depending on the source. One weather app says it's 84 outside right and now and 86 F for the other.

I've definitely triggered thermal management for a Bolt I plugged in inside our parking structure a few weeks back when OATs were past 90 F. We only have ChargePoint CT4000 30 amp L2 EVSEs here and some Tesla wall connectors (each pair is connected via power sharing arrangement and each pair gets a 100 amp circuit, so max load of 80 amps per pair).

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

metricus
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2019
Leaf Number: 307046
Location: Reading, PA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:00 am

Haven't been on forum for a while. Today I did a trip to Harrisburg. Guess what...
So the one-way distance is 100km. Outside temp was 25C in the am and now is 27C. Upon arrival in Harrisburg I had average temp 37C with max 39.

Now I'm at an Evgo charger which put me at only 29 kW right on Bjorn's red graph. So full-blown RapidGate.

I see a lot of talk about SOH. Since I'm leasing I don't pay much attention but since we're talking about it my SOH on LeafSpy is 98.31% at odometer 4855km / 3034mi

Anyway, after 25 min charge my battery temp went to 42 with Max at 43.4. I'll unplug now.

I'll be surprised if I'm not going on red before I get home.

Cheers!

Return to “Batteries & Charging”