shrink
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 21842

I have asked my Blink EVSE to be removed

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:49 am

After repeated problems with my Blink EVSE I have asked out of the EV Project and for my Blink to be removed.

I bought an orphan LEAF in 8/2011, then had the Blink EVSE installed in mid September. Ever since it was installed, the unit would only charge intermittently. I never set up a charge timer on the Blink, but did use the one on the LEAF so I could charge off peak to 80%. There was never an issue with either the stock EVSE or the EVSE upgrade. Ever. It always charged perfectly.

Once I started using the Blink (which has the 1.7 firmware), I would frequently get the following message: "Not Charging. Please check the status of your vehicle." Sometimes I could get the charge to start by unplugging and plugging in the Blink or by using the manual timer override on the LEAF, but quite frankly it was unpredictable. I called Blink tech support about every 7-10 days for help and they would take me through the various resets and other procedures. Oddly, it would sometimes resolve, but as with any intermittent problem, it was simply unpredictable. It's quite hard to rely on an electric car if you don't know if it will charge each night.

Blink contractors finally came to the house last Friday - about 10 days after the Blink stopped charging altogether. The contractors troubleshooted with Blink for about 2 hours and the charge was still intermittent (at least the electricians got it to charge intermittently). Blink then tried to blame the car. They claimed it might not be reading the higher voltage of a Level 2 charge or that something was wrong with the charge port. I did not mention I had the upgraded EVSE fearing they might blame that, but they requested I take the car to Nissan to test the port. I proceeded later that afternoon to go to three L2 public charges in the neighborhood, two Blinks and one Aerovironment at Nissan, and the car charged as expected without any issue. I reported each successful charge to Blink that same day. Blink said Friday afternoon that an engineer suggested testing the ground, a new connector, and a new Blink unit - finally- and that they would authorize the contractors to get back out early next week.

I called Blink this morning and there was no movement on my trouble ticket. The tech started wondering if there was anything I could do on my own to troubleshoot at which point I asked how exactly am I to test a new connector or new unit on my own? I had also called the contractor and they said they had heard nothing from Blink.

I'm fed up. I told them since they can't fix it, are incorrectly blaming the car, and are wasting my time that I want out of the EV project and to remove the unit.

The upgraded EVSE is working just fine.
2011 LEAF (Sold) | 2012 Volt (Sold) | 2012 LEAF (Lease Ended) | 2010 Tesla Roadster #501 | 2013 Tesla Model S #9001 | 6.827 kW SunPower PV System

leafkabob
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2015
Leaf Number: 1827

Re: I have asked my Blink EVSE to be removed

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm

I don't blame you, as asking for the removal of my Blink was going to be my next move also. I have had three "failure to charge" incidents. Blink wanted to add a ground rod to my main service panel but backed off of that when I told them I already had two ground rods.

I am now scheduled to get a new Blink this Friday. If I have problems with it I will probably ask for its removal. "Failure to charge" just doesn't work for me.

I don't have the upgraded EVSE but will definitely get it if I remove the Blink.
Kelly

2011 White SL-e (sold back to Nissan on 01/10/2013)
2011Silver SL with new lizard battery purchased used on 9/9/2015
2018 Tesla Model 3 received 4/27/2018

TonyWilliams

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:18 pm

That's funny that they blame your car with the LONG list of documented Blink EVSE failures.

You stay classy guys !!!

If this Blink in my house does another "fail to charge", I think I'm done, too. I have the EVSEupgrade, but I prefer to leave that in the car, and just buy something from Lowes or Home Depot.

Spies
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Just curious but how is your Blink connected to the network? Are you using the built in WiFi? I personally had nothing but problems with my Blink unit using the built in wireless but I have since been using an external WiFi to ethernet bridge without issue and will eventually run wired ethernet. I know it sounds odd that the built in WiFi would cause charging problems but it did for me.
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

shrink

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Spies wrote:Just curious but how is your Blink connected to the network? Are you using the built in WiFi? I personally had nothing but problems with my Blink unit using the built in wireless but I have since been using an external WiFi to ethernet bridge without issue and will eventually run wired ethernet. I know it sounds odd that the built in WiFi would cause charging problems but it did for me.
It's Wi-Fi but only about 20 feet away. The connection has always been solid. One of the troubleshooting steps the electricians did was to hook it up via Ethernet and we still had the same issue. I remember staring at the car plugged into the Blink with the timer bypass button on and it still was not charging. The Blink was hooked up via Ethernet to my router at the time.

Wouldn't internet connectivity affect data transmission only? I don't see why that would affect charging, but who knows with this thing.

I really need just need a reliable charge, which the Blink is not providing and which Blink has been slow to troubleshoot. I'm just annoyed they blamed the car and that I have to take more of my time to try to get this fixed. It's more of a hassle than its worth.
2011 LEAF (Sold) | 2012 Volt (Sold) | 2012 LEAF (Lease Ended) | 2010 Tesla Roadster #501 | 2013 Tesla Model S #9001 | 6.827 kW SunPower PV System

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:47 pm

shrink wrote:Wouldn't internet connectivity affect data transmission only?
There is a theory that due to the Blink having trouble making the data connection, that the software will lock up. I haven't had that problem though.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:09 pm

you have an upgraded EVSE from Phil and you even care about the Blink? i think the ONLY reason i would like that is not having to pack the cable when i want to use it on the road (about 5 times in 9 months and nearly 10,000 miles) but other than that, the EVSE mod works flawlessly for me.

sorry the Blink is not working for you and i am sure that they can get it working for you. but when is that going to happen and you have already contacted them half a dozen times?. i think its time to move on
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 14,342.8 mi, 93.16% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SanDust

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Don't be crazy. Just unplug the Blink and use your upgraded EVSE. When the EV project ends sell the Blink.

shrink

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:29 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:you have an upgraded EVSE from Phil and you even care about the Blink? i think the ONLY reason i would like that is not having to pack the cable when i want to use it on the road
Since I bought an orphan, the Blink was installed about a month after I got the car. I already had a 220 outlet in my garage, so I bought the EVSE upgrade to get L2 charging while I waited for the Blink. Even though the EVSE upgrade was working just fine, I figured the Blink was free, I qualified, so why not? The ability to keep the cable in the bag and in the car all the time was nice piece of mind as a I adjusted to the car and range anxiety (which is now nonexistent by the way).
SanDust wrote:Don't be crazy. Just unplug the Blink and use your upgraded EVSE. When the EV project ends sell the Blink.
That's exactly what I've been doing. I unplugged the Blink and am using the EVSE upgrade. Selling is a thought, but I wouldn't want to sell this unit to anyone else. However, your post also jarred my memory - I would rather NOT pay the $700 back for the quick charge port option. I had not thought of that previously. So, I think your suggestion will be my solution. If Blink complains that I'm not sending them data, I will tell them to install a working unit.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:04 pm

I agree with give it a try once a week. No worky then why bother calling to have it fixed. Let them figure it out from data collection that I doubt they even verify.
In the mean time use the modified L1.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

Return to “Blink”