2018 Leaf Level 1&2 Charging cancels after 2 minute on any charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the P3177 code still there? If it is, that is the key, if not, look carefully at the L1-L2 (J1772) charge port for bend pins or damaged.
When you say the blue lights are flashing, how are they flashing? Are they flashing in progression or is the left one on constant and the middle one flashing, or???

So you have no DTCs related to the Charger, but the AC charging shuts off after 2-3 minutes?

Would you have a way to measure if there is actually any AC Mains current flowing during those 3 minutes?

There is a failure mode in which the AC Input is not reaching the Power board inside the OBC. The Control board thinks charging has started and is waiting for the HV DC to be created, but then times out after nothing is seen on the DC buss. This happens much quicker on early models with the OBC behind the rear seat, e.g. 5 to 10 seconds, not minutes, and no DTC is thrown.

Don't know if anyone has reversed the PDM version such as was done with early OBC.

Early Power Board
g2N30PI.jpg

Early Control Board
PhPamHP.jpg

Early "diode" D547 on bottom of Control Board:
E74yt2P.png

Last edited:
So you have no DTCs related to the Charger, but the AC charging shuts off after 2-3 minutes?

Would you have a way to measure if there is actually any AC Mains current flowing during those 3 minutes?

There is a failure mode in which the AC Input is not reaching the Power board inside the OBC. The Control board thinks charging has started and is waiting for the HV DC to be created, but then times out after nothing is seen on the DC buss. This happens much quicker on early models with the OBC behind the rear seat, e.g. 5 to 10 seconds, not minutes, and no DTC is thrown.

Don't know if anyone has reversed the PDM version such as was done with early OBC.

Early Power Board

Early Control Board

Early "diode" D547 on bottom of Control Board:
From what is indicated on the car percentage of charge or mileage, there is no increase or appearance of any power being delivered to the battery during the 2-3minutes of blinking charge light till when it cancels. LeafSpy as well doesn't show any delivery of power during that as well.

Again, how are the lights blinking, all together? sequence? what?
How the lights flash can indicate different things, It can indicate if the OBC has detected it is connected to an EVSE or not.
All would be helpful in sorting this out.

Last edited:
Again, how are the lights blinking, all together? sequence? what?
How the lights flash can indicate different things, It can indicate if the OBC has detected it is connected to an EVSE or not.
All would be helpful in sorting this out.
Hi Cornbinder, the dashboard indicator lights go through their normal initial charge flashing, then the solid blue light(s) comes on for the level that is charged to (one light or two) which stay solid for the 2-3 minutes, and the next charge level light will blink the standard blinking method till it times out at the 2-3 minutes and all lights go out and the handle lock releases. It appears to initiate the charge like normal when it was previously charging.

PS, I'll relook at the J1772 port pins and prongs to confirm everything seems in order as well as rerun the DTS codes to see if the P3177 code comes back. It sometimes appears and other times it doesn't come up.

Last edited:
That would indicate that it does recognize that it is attached to the EVSE, and would tend to believe that it is getting some power.
Do you hear the contractors clacking when the process starts?
I believe you have tried on different EVSE's and supply circuit? If not I would put a meter on the line when you plug the EVSE in and make sure the voltage stays around 220-240 volts under load.

Back