HighDesertDriver
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:29 am
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 8765
Location: Palmdale, CA

Re: New bars and miles - how does that work?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:55 am

planet4ever wrote:Despite all of our scoffing at the GuessOMeter, mine seems very consistent at the low end.
  • At GOM=8 I get the first low battery warning, and the GOM starts flashing. I still have one bar showing.
  • At GOM=5 or 6 the last bar disappears.
  • At GOM=3 I get the very low battery warning and the GOM changes to three bars.
Ray
We had these same results (our first time this low) coming home last night from dinner. No "anxiety" due to 2 months with the car, Tony's table, awareness from everyone's reported experiences here on MNL, and being only only a mile from home when "---" finally showed up. Being that the last roads to our home are uphill, however, I'm not sure I want to experiment with pressing on to the Turtle. :shock: Perhaps if we had Gary's SOC meter. . .
2011 Glacier Pearl SL QC
Manf: 8/11 Delivered: 9/9/11
58,900 miles 10/09/15; New 2015 Bat 6/00/15, 55558; 66.14AHr
1BC 6/22/13@28310; 2BC 3/23/14@39750; 3BC 9/30/14@46,292; 4CB 6/12/15@55175, 170-185 G; 43.27AHr
PV: 7.2kW, ~13,500 kWh/yr since 3/06

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10091
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: New bars and miles - how does that work?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:13 am

HighDesertDriver wrote: Being that the last roads to our home are uphill, however, I'm not sure I want to experiment with pressing on to the Turtle. :shock: Perhaps if we had Gary's SOC meter. . .
Hey, I live on the very top of my little hill, 580 feet elevation. It takes a special touch of the gas pedal to do that in turtle :mrgreen:

HighDesertDriver
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:29 am
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 8765
Location: Palmdale, CA

Re: New bars and miles - how does that work?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:48 am

I have new twist on this thread's original question. For two consecutive days I ran the GOM down to "---", recharging each night to 100%. We normally charge to 80%, but had a lot of errands those two days and I wanted to give my wife at least a little heat during our recent cold and overcast days. Although I didn't notice the first morning, when I brought up CarWings on my Android OS phone the second morning to activate the preheat, the CarWings GOM showed a full 12 bars of charge and *zero* (0) miles of estimated range. :shock: The car showed 12 bars also but the GOM was normal at about 60 miles. (Note: our GOM is always pessimistic at the start of the day because the last couple of miles returning home are a continuous uphill climb.) I wrote the zero off a a quirk of CarWings, and everything else that day was typical Leaf. Any thoughts out there?
2011 Glacier Pearl SL QC
Manf: 8/11 Delivered: 9/9/11
58,900 miles 10/09/15; New 2015 Bat 6/00/15, 55558; 66.14AHr
1BC 6/22/13@28310; 2BC 3/23/14@39750; 3BC 9/30/14@46,292; 4CB 6/12/15@55175, 170-185 G; 43.27AHr
PV: 7.2kW, ~13,500 kWh/yr since 3/06

User avatar
Ingineer
Posts: 2741
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969
Location: Berkeley, California
Contact: Website

Re: New bars and miles - how does that work?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:07 am

Last night I ran my LEAF down until it wouldn't move. I was driving 70mph on the highway. I got my first low-battery warning at 8 miles remaining on the GoM (Guess-O-Meter), at which time the yellow triangle and the "gas pump with cord" light came on. There was a verbal warning and the navi asked me if I wanted to find a charge station. I turned around and headed home at the 6 mile GoM mark.

Then still on the highway going 65mph, at 3 miles, the verbal/navi warning repeated, maybe it was my imagination, but she seemed worried when she spoke. =)

A few more miles later, I then descended into no-mans land with the --- flashing on the GoM and **** shown on the miles remaining energy screen. I had the heat on high (~3kW) and kept driving aggressively around my area, I clocked about 4 miles, then I noticed some reduction in acceleration. Shortly thereafter, the dreaded turtle-of-death appeared and the car really did stop accelerating. I pulled into my garage and continued to move back and forth with CC still on high heat, and finally the car performed an auto Ig-off. (Battery Contactor Opened) It went into the same mode as you would with 2 power switch presses w/o the brake. The main indicator was the red "battery" light along with the clunk of the contactor. CC wouldn't show any power draw, although fan was still running, and car would only shift into neutral when trying to drive.

All-in-all, the GoM did a good job, giving me about 5 miles of aggressive driving after ---, which probably would have been up to 10 if killing the CC, being careful and creeping along.

My car has the newest firmware.

-Phll
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

TangoKilo
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:39 pm
Delivery Date: 09 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2212
Location: Moorpark

Re: New bars and miles - how does that work?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:16 am

Ingineer wrote:Last night I ran my LEAF down until it wouldn't move. I was driving 70mph on the highway. I got my first low-battery warning at 8 miles remaining on the GoM (Guess-O-Meter), at which time the yellow triangle and the "gas pump with cord" light came on. There was a verbal warning and the navi asked me if I wanted to find a charge station. I turned around and headed home at the 6 mile GoM mark.

Then still on the highway going 65mph, at 3 miles, the verbal/navi warning repeated, maybe it was my imagination, but she seemed worried when she spoke. =)

A few more miles later, I then descended into no-mans land with the --- flashing on the GoM and **** shown on the miles remaining energy screen. I had the heat on high (~3kW) and kept driving aggressively around my area, I clocked about 4 miles, then I noticed some reduction in acceleration. Shortly thereafter, the dreaded turtle-of-death appeared and the car really did stop accelerating. I pulled into my garage and continued to move back and forth with CC still on high heat, and finally the car performed an auto Ig-off. (Battery Contactor Opened) It went into the same mode as you would with 2 power switch presses w/o the brake. The main indicator was the red "battery" light along with the clunk of the contactor. CC wouldn't show any power draw, although fan was still running, and car would only shift into neutral when trying to drive.

All-in-all, the GoM did a good job, giving me about 5 miles of aggressive driving after ---, which probably would have been up to 10 if killing the CC, being careful and creeping along.

My car has the newest firmware.

-Phll
Congrats on joining the "Run her outta juice" club! There are those who have and there are those who will... The trick is to have enough speed when she quits so you can roll up your driveway to within reach of your EVSEUpgrade... 8-)

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10091
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: New bars and miles - how does that work?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:43 am

HighDesertDriver wrote:Although I didn't notice the first morning, when I brought up CarWings on my Android OS phone the second morning to activate the preheat, the CarWings GOM showed a full 12 bars of charge and *zero* (0) miles of estimated range. :shock:

Here ya go, a normal day in CarWings land:


Image

TangoKilo
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:39 pm
Delivery Date: 09 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2212
Location: Moorpark

Re: New bars and miles - how does that work?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 am

TonyWilliams wrote:
HighDesertDriver wrote:Although I didn't notice the first morning, when I brought up CarWings on my Android OS phone the second morning to activate the preheat, the CarWings GOM showed a full 12 bars of charge and *zero* (0) miles of estimated range. :shock:

Here ya go, a normal day in CarWings land:


Image
You could probably turn on your heater for a -10 mile range... :mrgreen:

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 5083
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: New bars and miles - how does that work?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:23 pm

HighDesertDriver wrote:... when I brought up CarWings on my Android OS phone the second morning to activate the preheat, the CarWings GOM showed a full 12 bars of charge and *zero* (0) miles of estimated range. :shock: ... Any thoughts out there?
Known bug. The online range doesn't update correctly after a charge until the car has been turned on.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”