SoCal Branch LEAF Gathering - Our First Year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can make Oct 16, Gary.

The same restaurant works for me. Informal, spacious, self-pay, cheap, etc. But I'm willing to go elsewhere if others would find it geographically desirable.

Again, thanks for organizing.

I'll bring a camera next time to get the first group shot.

Phil

OK, that makes 4, including myself, so we are "ON" for Gathering #2
(Gary, Kat, Boomer, Jimmy)

All interested persons welcome.

Gathering #2: Saturday 16 Oct 2010
At the Hometown Buffet just East of I-5 on 17th street in Santa Ana
1008 EAST 17TH STREET
SANTA ANA, CA 92701
Phone: (714) 541-3020
Their "breakfast" hours are from 7:30 until 11:00 (when "lunch" begins").
I plan to arrive between 8 and 8:30, and stay until at least 11.

It was fun meeting you guys on Sat! Thanks for organizing Gary! I can't believe we didn't take a picture, doh! Thanks to Gary, Mike, and Tom for hanging out and sharing your info. I can't make the next gathering but I will be watching the forum for your drive experiences. Good luck to everyone and I hope you like driving your Leafs!

So, we are already up to 6 (or, with husband = 7) for meeting #2.

Mallory and Mike cannot make it, but Jimmy thinks he can.

Hopefully those who are unable to make it this time
will be able join us again at some later date.

Perhaps we will have a pre-Thanksgiving fest of some sort?

I was hoping to hear how the Charge-at-Apartment saga was going.

garygid said:

Definitely! I will keep you all posted. I just sent a letter to the sustainability dept. in Santa Monica about getting all those public chargeres updated in time for December so I'm working any angle I can. (everyone please keep your fingers crossed for me on Sept. 30 when I have my assessment at my apt.) :D Have fun at the next gathering and take a picture!

malloryk said:
garygid said:

Definitely! I will keep you all posted. I just sent a letter to the sustainability dept. in Santa Monica about getting all those public chargeres updated in time for December so I'm working any angle I can. (everyone please keep your fingers crossed for me on Sept. 30 when I have my assessment at my apt.) :D Have fun at the next gathering and take a picture!

If you need a 3rd party to come and install a charger, you can try these guys. They will apparently install for free and share profit with the property owner ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1289

evnow said:
If you need a 3rd party to come and install a charger, you can try these guys. They will apparently install for free and share profit with the property owner ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1289

thanks evnow! i just visited their site and sent them a request for info. That'd be wonderful if it works out!

Hi gang. It was great meeting you all at Gathering #1. I learned a lot and enjoyed sharing what I knew. I am not yet sure whether I can make Gathering #2 on Oct 16, but I will be there if I can. It will be fun to compare notes after our test drives.

I have one new bit to share. When I first told a friend of mine, who is a professor of chemistry, that I was getting a Leaf, he asked me, "How much of the electricity that you would use for charging is coming from coal, and therefore has a higher carbon footprint than gasoline ?" This seemed to be a reasonable question, so I researched it for SCE. In case one or more of you are confronted with this question, here is what I found.

7% of the power SCE actually delivered, as opposed to generator capacity, came from coal in 2007. Natural gas is their biggest source, and it has a much lower carbon footprint than gasoline. SCE shutdown their Laughlin coal plant end of 2005. Renewable power has risen from 16% in 2007 to 17% in 2009. Wind has gone up but biomass has gone down. Compared to other utilities in the US, this is really quite good. I believe I saw where electricity in Indiana is something like 90% coal-derived.

It gets better. We will be charging our cars at night, when the grid is lightly loaded. It happens that wind generation in California peaks during the night, as can be seen here:

http://www.caiso.com/outlook/SystemStatus.html

Wind generation is still a small fraction of the total, but it is a growing fraction, and for a long time there should be more power produced by wind than consumed by electric vehicles. So we can argue that our cars our powered by the wind! In Germany, they actually have more wind generation at night than they can use.

Now for those of you in DWP territory, the story is not quite as good. Up until recently they were buying almost 50% of their power from out-of-state coal generation plants. That is how they were keeping their rates low. As a municipal utility, they had exemption from the California mandate that applied to SCE, a private utility. However, I understand that DWP is now promising to reduce its dependence on coal, but I don't have figures.

Gary...

Looks like I won't be able to make the gathering on the 16th. That's when I have my Leaf test-drive scheduled here in San Diego. So while I will miss gathering #2, its for a very good reason!! :mrgreen: Maybe I'll make the next one (you know, the one where we all drive our Leafs!?!?!?) :lol:

Dav said:
Jimmydreams, my test drive is Oct 16 at 8:00. See you there?

(I won't make So Cal Meet #2 either)

Dav...

I scheduled mine at 2pm to avoid the inevitable Saturday Morning I-5 Southbound Mess. It's usually gone by noon-1ish. ;)

Maybe it'll be like a roller-coaster at the theme parks...ride once, get off, get back in line, wait, ride again!! :lol:

I figure it will be like doctor appointments - your appointment time slips later and later as the day goes on. So I took a first slot. :D

And, sorry, but I won't be getting out of the car, so some of the later appointments are going to have to cancel... :p

Reminders:
LEAF driving near Disneyland starts one week from tomorrow (Friday 8 Oct).

Then, our "SoCal Gathering" #2 a week later (16 Oct) in Santa Ana at Hometown Buffet
to comapre notes, socialize, etc. All interested are welcome (details in first post).

Back