Wait time for California DMV carpool stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GregH said:
Olibri said:
Car bought 1/20/13
DMV app sent 2/8
DMV check cashed 3/26
Stickers received TBD
I'm in the same boat.. similar dates. 6 weeks after the fact, just checked the bank and the $8 cleared yesterday!
Check cleared Monday (exactly 6 weeks after I mailed it), stickers arrived today (Thursday).. yeah!

Nubo said:
I'm not even sure more people is the answer. Sounds more like foot-dragging to me. Does it take any more effort to perpetually stay 1 month behind than to stay perpetually 2 months behind? Does a long delay make the forms somehow easier to process? Just how long does it take to process one of these forms?

If the trickle of forms is really this difficult to handle, one can only imagine the queue as EV adoption grows! :eek:

I wonder if the EV exemption sticker applications are done on a batch basis by a group that does other relatively low volume paperwork, such as disabled placards? For example, a month of EV stickers, then a month on disabled placards, etc?

GregH said:
GregH said:
Olibri said:
Car bought 1/20/13
DMV app sent 2/8
DMV check cashed 3/26
Stickers received TBD
I'm in the same boat.. similar dates. 6 weeks after the fact, just checked the bank and the $8 cleared yesterday!
Check cleared Monday (exactly 6 weeks after I mailed it), stickers arrived today (Thursday).. yeah!
Congrats on getting yours! In LA/OC I can't imagine driving the freeways without the HOV stickers. I'm in San Diego now, but grew up in LA/OC, and remember the nightmare, especially in that Riverside/L.A. commute. I could easily see the cost of leasing the Leaf being LESS than just the cost of the access fees, for heavy HOV users. I would think the Leaf's would be flying off the shelfs there. Funny how someone would rather be inching through traffic in their Mustang COBRA, rather than sailing through the HOV's in their free Leaf. Image is everything; :x Obey the T.V :twisted: .. You know... :lol: Take care, Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
In LA/OC I can't imagine driving the freeways without the HOV stickers. I'm in San Diego now, but grew up in LA/OC, and remember the nightmare, especially in that Riverside/L.A. commute. I could easily see the cost of leasing the Leaf being LESS than just the cost of the access fees, for heavy HOV users. I would think the Leaf's would be flying off the shelfs there. Funny how someone would rather be inching through traffic in their Mustang COBRA, rather than sailing through the HOV's in their free Leaf.

If you're implying that the Leaf will automatically get you free access to LA Metro's HOV lanes, you're incorrect. Metro does not give any discounts to EV drivers; the only way to use the I-110 and I-10 preferential lanes for free is to have the minimum number of people in the car, which is usually 2, but sometimes 3. You still have to have a Fastrak transponder as well, and although any Fastrak transponder will be recognized (even those from the Bay Area), if you want to get the HOV discount you have to use Metro's own Fastrak which has a switch to indicate how many people are in the car (solo, 2, 3+).

For the 91 Express Lanes, you can get a special transponder for EVs that let you drive for free, except M-F 4-6 PM in the eastbound direction in which you get a 50% discount. But on the rest of Orange County's toll roads, EVs don't get any special breaks on the tolls.

Even the Bay Area bridges don't let EV's travel for free, even if every seat is occupied..

LEAFer said:
Does a Tesla Roadster with only two seats, both filled, get the benefit in a 3+ lane ?

According to California Vehicle Code section 21655.9:

(a) (1) Whenever the Department of Transportation or a local authority authorizes or permits exclusive or preferential use of highway lanes or highway access ramps for high-occupancy vehicles pursuant to Section 21655.5, the use of those lanes or ramps shall also be extended to vehicles that are issued distinctive decals, labels, or other identifiers pursuant to Section 5205.5 regardless of vehicle occupancy or ownership.

So as long as you have those white or green stickers defacing your rear bumper, you can drive solo in your Tesla roadster in such lanes.

RonDawg said:
LEAFer said:
Does a Tesla Roadster with only two seats, both filled, get the benefit in a 3+ lane ?
According to California Vehicle Code section 21655.9:

(a) (1) Whenever the Department of Transportation or a local authority authorizes or permits exclusive or preferential use of highway lanes or highway access ramps for high-occupancy vehicles pursuant to Section 21655.5, the use of those lanes or ramps shall also be extended to vehicles that are issued distinctive decals, labels, or other identifiers pursuant to Section 5205.5 regardless of vehicle occupancy or ownership.
So as long as you have those white or green stickers defacing your rear bumper, you can drive solo in your Tesla roadster in such lanes.
Thanks for the reference.

I was more curious, however, about the statement you made regarding minimum occupancy ...
RonDawg said:
... the only way to use the I-110 and I-10 preferential lanes for free is to have the minimum number of people in the car, which is usually 2, but sometimes 3. You still have to have a Fastrak transponder as well, ... ... Metro's own Fastrak which has a switch to indicate how many people are in the car (solo, 2, 3+).
With two people the car is "full" ... if the requirement is 3 .... then what ? :lol:

LEAFer said:
I was more curious, however, about the statement you made regarding minimum occupancy ...
RonDawg said:
... the only way to use the I-110 and I-10 preferential lanes for free is to have the minimum number of people in the car, which is usually 2, but sometimes 3. You still have to have a Fastrak transponder as well, ... ... Metro's own Fastrak which has a switch to indicate how many people are in the car (solo, 2, 3+).
With two people the car is "full" ... if the requirement is 3 .... then what ? :lol:

If the two seater does not have the white or green HOV exemption stickers on the rear, this is from http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/systemops/hov/hov_sys/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Certain routes in the San Francisco Bay Area I-80 and I-880, Los Angeles I-10 El Monte Bus Way (during peak hour) and San Diego I-5 San Ysidro requires three or more (3+) persons per vehicle to access the HOV lanes. Signs along the highway will specify the enforcement policy for that route. For San Francisco Bay Area ONLY, originally factory designed vehicles with a maximum two-seat occupancy may access the HOV(3+) lanes as long as there are two occupants in the vehicles.

So only in the Bay Area could a fully-occupied 2 seater meet the 3+ requirement. Here in LA, there used to be signs along I-10 saying that such vehicles met the 3+ requirement but they are now gone; I guess this is the reason why.

Motorcyclists can still drive 3+ lanes solo however, as are certain types of buses.

There ... THAT is what I was looking for, THANKS ! :)

RonDawg said:
Certain routes in the San Francisco Bay Area I-80 and I-880, Los Angeles I-10 El Monte Bus Way (during peak hour) and San Diego I-5 San Ysidro requires three or more (3+) persons per vehicle to access the HOV lanes. Signs along the highway will specify the enforcement policy for that route. For San Francisco Bay Area ONLY, originally factory designed vehicles with a maximum two-seat occupancy may access the HOV(3+) lanes as long as there are two occupants in the vehicles.

So only in the Bay Area could a fully-occupied 2 seater meet the 3+ requirement. Here in LA, there used to be signs along I-10 saying that such vehicles met the 3+ requirement but they are now gone; I guess this is the reason why.

Motorcyclists can still drive 3+ lanes solo however, as are certain types of buses.

It depends on where you live in L.A. On my 40 mile round-trip commute to work, there are almost no HOV lanes and won't be for many years... And the few that do exist are nearly as congested as the regular lanes.

bobsfreeleaf said:
I would think the Leaf's would be flying off the shelfs there. Funny how someone would rather be inching through traffic in their Mustang COBRA, rather than sailing through the HOV's in their free Leaf.

Such an excellent command of the King's English... :lol:

BayArea said:
DMV California $ucks - these FAT retard still processing Dec 31, 2012 application for white stickers. And this was confirmed on 2/20/2013 when I called on 2/20/2013.
California DMV full of stupid people, why can't they issue White Stickers when you apply for the plates? The reason because these retard want to earn overtime, by milking the process. Now I know why all those people are so fat, becasue they are stupid and simply incompetent.

TomT said:
It depends on where you live in L.A. On my 40 mile round-trip commute to work, there are almost no HOV lanes and won't be for many years... And the few that do exist are nearly as congested as the regular lanes.

Yeah the one on I-210 from Pasadena eastward is just as bad as the regular lanes during rush hour.

RonDawg said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
In LA/OC I can't imagine driving the freeways without the HOV stickers. I'm in San Diego now, but grew up in LA/OC, and remember the nightmare, especially in that Riverside/L.A. commute. I could easily see the cost of leasing the Leaf being LESS than just the cost of the access fees, for heavy HOV users. I would think the Leaf's would be flying off the shelfs there. Funny how someone would rather be inching through traffic in their Mustang COBRA, rather than sailing through the HOV's in their free Leaf.

If you're implying that the Leaf will automatically get you free access to LA Metro's HOV lanes, you're incorrect. Metro does not give any discounts to EV drivers; the only way to use the I-110 and I-10 preferential lanes for free is to have the minimum number of people in the car, which is usually 2, but sometimes 3. You still have to have a Fastrak transponder as well, and although any Fastrak transponder will be recognized (even those from the Bay Area), if you want to get the HOV discount you have to use Metro's own Fastrak which has a switch to indicate how many people are in the car (solo, 2, 3+).

For the 91 Express Lanes, you can get a special transponder for EVs that let you drive for free, except M-F 4-6 PM in the eastbound direction in which you get a 50% discount. But on the rest of Orange County's toll roads, EVs don't get any special breaks on the tolls.

Even the Bay Area bridges don't let EV's travel for free, even if every seat is occupied..

Too bad. Who would have thougt the award of an HOV sticker to get access to HOV lanes, does not! I guess I should count my blessing here in San Diego. Our Fastrak I 15 lane flies most days (actually too fast for me, trying to go 65). I have seen so many posts of people buying the car for the HOV sticker. It shows you should do your homework. Thanks for the clarification. Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
RonDawg said:
bobsfreeleaf said:

Too bad. Who would have thougt the award of an HOV sticker to get access to HOV lanes, does not! I guess I should count my blessing here in San Diego. Our Fastrak I 15 lane flies most days (actually too fast for me, trying to go 65). I have seen so many posts of people buying the car for the HOV sticker. It shows you should do your homework. Thanks for the clarification. Bob

Yup, you have to do your homework. Otherwise at best it will be money wasted, at worst you can get a really expensive ticket.

It gets confusing because except for the 91 Express Lanes, which were purpose built, the lanes being converted to preferential were formerly HOV-only lanes. So one day an EV can drive on them solo, the next day you need a Fastrak. Just as confusing is how the different systems handle true HOV discounts; for the 91 Express, there is a special lane at the toll plaza for you to enter, but for Metro, you have to use their special Fastrak with a switch that indicates solo, 2, or 3+ in the car. But that white or green sticker doesn't give you free access to those lanes.

Even more confusing is that you can pay to drive solo on 91 Express or I-110, but I-10 still has signs posted saying you have to be HOV-2 (or 3 depending on the time) to be in those lanes even though the overhead signs show differences in pricing between solo and HOV :roll:

Too bad. Who would have thougt the award of an HOV sticker to get access to HOV lanes, does not! I guess I should count my blessing here in San Diego. Our Fastrak I 15 lane flies most days (actually too fast for me, trying to go 65). I have seen so many posts of people buying the car for the HOV sticker. It shows you should do your homework. Thanks for the clarification. Bob[/quote]

Yup, you have to do your homework. Otherwise at best it will be money wasted, at worst you can get a really expensive ticket.

It gets confusing because except for the 91 Express Lanes, which were purpose built, the lanes being converted to preferential were formerly HOV-only lanes. So one day an EV can drive on them solo, the next day you need a Fastrak. Just as confusing is how the different systems handle true HOV discounts; for the 91 Express, there is a special lane at the toll plaza for you to enter, but for Metro, you have to use their special Fastrak with a switch that indicates solo, 2, or 3+ in the car. But that white or green sticker doesn't give you free access to those lanes.

Even more confusing is that you can pay to drive solo on 91 Express or I-110, but I-10 still has signs posted saying you have to be HOV-2 (or 3 depending on the time) to be in those lanes even though the overhead signs show differences in pricing between solo and HOV :roll:

Hard to believe you guys are still basically driving the same freeway system that existed when the Beatles were playing at the Hollywood Bowl :shock:..... But now we build a bullet train to Bakersfield. :lol:..... Guess I shouldn't laugh, it's paid for with my tax dollars, and it doesn't even stop in San Diego. :?

I applied for my stickers ~2/20/13, They were postmarked 4/10- the day I left home for my Bay Area LEAF trip...

On the positive side, I won't have to put them on, and uglyfy my LEAF, until the next time I travel the ~200 miles south, to the nearest HOV lanes.

Roadshow: DMV backlog keeps drivers out of the carpool lane:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mr-roadshow/ci_23054519/roadshow-lane-closing-causes-commuter-grief-richmond-bridge?source=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (published 4/19/13)
Q I purchased a new 2012 Honda Civic CNG vehicle on Feb. 5. DMV rules stipulate you must wait for your permanent plates before applying for the white HOV stickers. My plates arrived on Feb. 26 and my application was mailed the following day.

As of this email, I am still without my stickers!

I finally got a hold of someone at the DMV on April 10 who said stickers go out in order of when received (postmark), and due to overwhelming demand, they were backlogged and working on applications received on Feb. 19!

This is nuts! Why can't I get something temporarily from the dealer to enjoy HOV access until the permanent ones are issued? My car is clearly marked CNG on the back.

David Larson

Antioch

A Temporary stickers won't be sent out, but the DMV says a surge in sticker requests has caused delays in getting them mailed to you. Normally, you should get your stickers within a couple of weeks. The state says the backlog should ease soon.

gee. if you cut the budget, stop hiring and in effect cut staff, and add forced furloughs, the DMV runs more slowly. who would have thought that would happen?

I just got back home after being away from a week, and noticed my HOV stickers were in my mailbox waiting for me. YAY! It would be 3 months after I bought my car, and a bit more than 2 months after I got my license plates.

Not so YAY!: the number and size of those stickers. I can see ONE on the right side of the bumper, similar to the inspection stickers you see on Hawaiian-plated cars. But three? And why do the ones on the sides have to be so enormous?

Back