Update on Battery Warranty Enhancement for 2011 & 2012 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this update in any way affect how many quick charges the car is able to do in a day? Is there any change to the temperature gauge? From what I've been reading the '13s seem to show more temperature bars at a given temp than a 11 or 12.

Also, does quick charging more than once a day (or some other threshold) affect the warranty? If I were to quick charge 6+ times in a day and nearly cook the pack, would that count as customer abuse and void the warranty, even though the car will let you quick charge so often?

I have quick charged nearly 75 times since I got the car a year ago.

JeremyW said:
Does this update in any way affect how many quick charges the car is able to do in a day? Is there any change to the temperature gauge? From what I've been reading the '13s seem to show more temperature bars at a given temp than a 11 or 12.

Also, does quick charging more than once a day (or some other threshold) affect the warranty? If I were to quick charge 6+ times in a day and nearly cook the pack, would that count as customer abuse and void the warranty, even though the car will let you quick charge so often?

I have quick charged nearly 75 times since I got the car a year ago.

As long as you don't use QC over 70 times it won't void the warranty. :D

The thought strikes me that with all of the concern by LEAF owners of the battery warranty and capacity degradation, which IMHO is justified, I wonder if this will slow down the introduction of the next generation of batteries? Nissan may have backed into a buzz saw and will have to be extra careful in the future to avoid any backlash from advertising promises not being kept in the real world.

usadiamond said:
This warranty just sounds offensive to me. A leaf with 9 bars or less is no better than a golf cart. First, false advertisement about 100 mile range BS and now warranty to guarantee 49 mile range?! I'd rather Nissan to be straight up and just tell the 1st gen Leaf owners to suck it up and prepare for their cars to run useless in a few years.
I still have all 12 bars, but only get about 60 mile range down from 80 after less than two years. #nissandisappointing

Since you seem to be cross posting from Facebook, I'll repost here:

Well, I feel like a long, hard fought battle has provided something concrete that the LEAF community didn't have previously, and would not have gotten without some serious pushback. I doubt Nissan will ever use the "everything is normal" line again, but instead rightly reference the warranty.

I also doubt that the naysayers amongst the LEAF community will attack fellow advocates with such disregard concerning battery degradation.

I personally, amongst others, received some pretty vile attacks from well known folks in this very community, both LEAF and greater EV community. I won't ever forget.

This warranty is a positive step toward a future where consumers understand the limitations of this EV, and are protected at about 70% of capacity. Now I want Nissan to warn consumers at the sale point what heat AND cold will do to range.

TonyWilliams said:
usadiamond said:
This warranty just sounds offensive to me. A leaf with 9 bars or less is no better than a golf cart. First, false advertisement about 100 mile range BS and now warranty to guarantee 49 mile range?! I'd rather Nissan to be straight up and just tell the 1st gen Leaf owners to suck it up and prepare for their cars to run useless in a few years.
I still have all 12 bars, but only get about 60 mile range down from 80 after less than two years. #nissandisappointing

Since you seem to be cross posting from Facebook, I'll repost here:

Well, I feel like a long, hard fought battle has provided something concrete that the LEAF community didn't have previously, and would not have gotten without some serious pushback. I doubt Nissan will ever use the "everything is normal" line again, but instead rightly reference the warranty.

I also doubt that the naysayers amongst the LEAF community will attack fellow advocates with such disregard concerning battery degradation.

I personally, amongst others, received some pretty vile attacks from well known folks in this very community, both LEAF and greater EV community. I won't ever forget.

This warranty is a positive step toward a future where consumers understand the limitations of this EV, and are protected at about 70% of capacity. Now I want Nissan to warn consumers at the sale point what heat AND cold will do to range.

all good points. I wish I knew now , What I didnt know back then. +1

LEAFfan said:
mwalsh said:
Here is something that is bothering me - I am down to ~220 Gids on a charge. With the accepted threshold for bar loss being ~232 Gids, technically I should have lost a bar some time ago. Yet I still have all twelve. What is up with that?

First of all, I don't see where you believe that 232 Gids is the 'accepted' threshold for first bar loss. The % Gids is usually around 80-81%/225-227 Gids for first bar loss, not 83%/232 Gids. I've tested many cars and every one was around 80-81% Gids when they lost their first bar. Your car will lose one soon as yours is the first I've seen to be in the 70s % and still have all 12 CBs. So I'm going to call your car an Outlier.

It appears that the "threshold" to lose the first capacity bar is 55.25 ah. You can use the Turbo3 Android app and Bluetooth OBDII adapter to view that info.

The only known threshold for Gids is Low Battery Warning (LBW = 49 Gid) and Very Low Battery warning (VLB = 24 Gid). So that folks understand what these numbers represent, each Gid is a value of 80 stored wattHours, so that 50 Gid * 80 wattHours equals 4000 wattHours, or 4kWh stored of the 24kWh rated/advertised capacity battery. When the value falls below that, at 49 Gid, the LBW is displayed. The same is true at VLB; 25 Gid * 80 wattHours = 2000 wattHours, or 2kWh stored. Therefore, at 24 Gid, the dash mileage readout (the "GOM") displays "---" indicating VLB. The kWh stored is not the kWh you have access to, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Turtle threshold is lowest cell pair voltage (around 2.9 volts off the top of my head).

Hope this helps.

Tony, I for one appreciate the fact that you put your ass and your pocketbook on the line to show Nissan the errors of their ways. I think Nissan underestimated the amount of talent and intellect (of most) here on the forum.
We would not be where we are today without you and the people who helped you with range test.
Mahalo

downeykp said:
Tony, I for one appreciate the fact that you put your ass and your pocketbook on the line to show Nissan the errors of their ways. I think Nissan underestimated the amount of talent and intellect (of most) here on the forum.
We would not be where we are today without you and the people who helped you with range test.
Mahalo

I genuinely appreciate that, thanks. Folks might not realize some of the ramifications of what I tried to accomplish. Had Nissan decided to take a different path, they could have held the line that "all was normal" and sued me into oblivion with legal bills. Obviously, they could have guys like Nissan's Craig Pike in Phoenix, who was involved in testing the LEAF at their Casa Grande facility, tell a court how "wrong" I and my fellow LEAF owners were. Nissan could have paid another 100 engineers and scientists to all be singing the same tune.

I would have had to pay expert witnesseses to counter their claims, in addition to the bills for my legal counsel. Heck, Nissan could have thrown out a couple of "experts" from Nissan LEAF enthusiasts groups, some of which would be more than happy to throw me under the bus. They know who they are. Even nationally recognized "plug in" advocates were working behind the scenes to discredit us (with the intention of "defending" EVs). We had other "experts" craft websites and blogs to counter my claims, who I am absolutely positive would have taken the stand with impressive education credentials and equally impressive looking graphs and charts to "prove" me wrong.

Make no mistake; I did fully expect to get sued and yes, I did have robust contingency plans for such an attack. My U.S. Marine Corps training left me with a valuable skill; the best defense is offense.

There are other more serious risks. Somebody could have been injured or killed with their cars intentionally disabled on the side of the freeway during my test. It was strongly suggested to Nissan by a fantastic EV advocate that they allow us to use their private, safe test track. The said no. Cars were damaged during the event, loading them on the tow dollies. That could have cost real money for myself and the other participants.

So, I just want to offer some insight into what myself, and others faced at the time, and what I reasonably expected to be the outcome. Yes, we really were hanging our asses out there, and backed it up with our pocketbooks; probably more than most folks realize.

i surely didn't expect this warranty as an outcome, that's for sure. Or a meeting with Nissan's leadership in Phoenix in January 2013 about these issues. Or Nissan paying almost $3000 to cover all our expenses for the Sept 15, 2012 LEAF range test in Phoenix.

Nissan is pulling itself out of this mess, and perhaps in the only way they can. I absolutely guarantee that they have learned a lot, and that will only make their 2015 LEAF with improved battery that much better. They wisely, in my opinion, skuttled the Infinti LE, and will no doubt refocus their sites on the competion from Tesla's BlueStar Gen III car for a future, far better Infiniti EV product. The future is bright for EV's and I will continue to promote and advocate for all EV's, as well as loudly criticize where I feel things have gone astray. I'm considering launching "EVcritic" this fall.

TonyWilliams said:
downeykp said:
Mahalo
I genuinely appreciate that, thanks. Folks might not realize some of the ramifications of what I tried to accomplish. Had Nissan decided to take a different path, they could have held the line that "all was normal" and sued me into oblivion with legal bills. Obviously, they could have guys like Nissan's Craig Pike in Phoenix, who was involved in testing the LEAF at their Casa Grande facility, tell a court how "wrong" I and my fellow LEAF owners were. Nissan could have paid another 100 engineers and scientists to all be singing the same tune.

I would have had to pay expert witnesses to counter their claims, in addition to the bills for my legal counsel. Heck, Nissan could have thrown out a couple of "experts" from Nissan LEAF enthusiasts groups, some of which would be more than happy to throw me under the bus. They know who they are. Even nationally recognized "plug in" advocates were working behind the scenes to discredit us (with the intention of "defending" EVs). We had other "experts" craft websites and blogs to counter my claims, who I am absolutely positive would have taken the stand with impressive education credentials and equally impressive looking graphs and charts to "prove" me wrong.

Make no mistake; I did fully expect to get sued and yes, I did have robust contingency plans for such an attack. My U.S. Marine Corps training left me with a valuable skill; the best defense is offense.

There are other more serious risks. Somebody could have been injured or killed with their cars intentionally disabled on the side of the freeway during my test. It was strongly suggested to Nissan by a fantastic EV advocate that they allow us to use their private, safe test track. The said no. Cars were damaged during the event, loading them on the tow dollies. That could have cost real money for myself and the other participants.

So, I just want to offer some insight into what myself, and others faced at the time, and what I reasonably expected to be the outcome. Yes, we really were hanging our asses out there, and backed it up with our pocketbooks; probably more than most folks realize.

i surely didn't expect this warranty as an outcome, that's for sure. Or a meeting with Nissan's leadership in Phoenix in January 2013 about these issues. Or Nissan paying almost $3000 to cover all our expenses for the Sept 15, 2012 LEAF range test in Phoenix.

Nissan is pulling itself out of this mess, and perhaps in the only way they can. I absolutely guarantee that they have learned a lot, and that will only make their 2015 LEAF with improved battery that much better. They wisely, in my opinion, skuttled the Infinti LE, and will no doubt refocus their sites on the competition from Tesla's BlueStar Gen III car for a future, far better Infiniti EV product. The future is bright for EV's and I will continue to promote and advocate for all EV's, as well as loudly criticize where I feel things have gone astray. I'm considering launching "EVcritic" this fall.
Thanks for sharing that. My hats off for your, the other testers, and vocal folks on this forum efforts on raising this LEAF issue to a level where is simply could not be ignored. In the end there will be a better product and especially for the "masses" that will be buying this car with great long term expectations. [In another weird way all the NYT publicity very likely helped out the supercharger program (distance between and number of them). This stuff can be a blessing in the end once a lot of the immediate pain is over].

So if I understand this battery warranty, the replacement pack will have a 9 or so max recharge capacity instead of the original 12 bars? This is like getting a warranty on a tire and they give you a used tire for a replacement rather than a new one. This to me is unacceptable and the Leaf will be going back to Nissan in 21 months and moving on to another maker.

Ian B

a simple thanks to you Tony.
your efforts to support EVs and to uncover and get information out about battery issues were and are appreciated by me, even as your way of articulating and discussing it did not match your dedication, expertise and effort.

TonyWilliams said:
Or Nissan paying almost $3000 to cover all our expenses for the Sept 15, 2012 LEAF range test in Phoenix.

I didn't realize Nissan had done that. Thanks for sharing!!

I am pleased to see your posts of late have been factual and on the mark. There was a time when I perceived a jaded commenter, maybe because of flak you received in all directions.

Thanks for your advocacy.

With the Infiniti LE out if the picture for now, I wonder what the chances are for Nissan to introduce a Rouge PHEV or EV? I think it would sell well, especially in the PHEV format. Toyota WON'T do it with the Rav4 EV, Mitsubishi are fighting quality problems with their Outlander PHEV, Nissan could fill the void if they so chose.

Tony W. said, in part: "Make no mistake; I did fully expect to get sued and yes, I did have robust contingency plans for such an attack. My U.S. Marine Corps training left me with a valuable skill; the best defense is offense."

Hey Tony; Too bad I never got a chance to work with you when we were Air Traffic controllers. I'll bet very few pilots ever had the courage to "talk back" to you, eh? :p :p :p :p :p :p

MrIanB said:
This is like getting a warranty on a tire and they give you a used tire for a replacement rather than a new one.

That's right. But there is one important difference, with a new tire replacement you will be assessed a pro-rated amount, so if the warranty is for 60,000 but wears out in 30,000, you may need to pay 1/2 or more of the replacement cost.

With this battery warranty, it is a no cost replacement, so Nissan can replace it with anything they so choose to do so.

I see the warranties as equivalent, but structured differently.

scottf200 said:
In another weird way all the NYT publicity very likely helped out the supercharger program (distance between and number of them). This stuff can be a blessing in the end once a lot of the immediate pain is over.
capwarrantymnl

Indeed, and on a related note, I believe that Nissan's decision to voluntarily extended a capacity warranty made a similar step undertaken by Tesla four months later much easier and logical. EVs are here to stay, the technology and the public understanding of it is improving, business models are evolving and product design is getting sharper by the day. The cost of addressing an early misstep or misunderstanding pales in comparison to the lost opportunity down the road. To use the words of Charles Whalen, who's experience and expertise has been invaluable on many occasions:

Charles Whalen said:
Note that Charles wrote this 2 1/2 years ago, and some things have already changed in that short period of time

I very much value Tony's leadership, commitment and expertise on the matter. While there were numerous detractors, let's recall that there were a few, who were sympathetic to the cause, who talked and lobbied behind the scenes, hoping to help facilitate a resolution. It's difficult to measure their impact, and they certainly had much less at stake personally than Tony. I think it would be also good to recognize the folks at Nissan, who were wise enough to see this issue for what it was, and were willing and able to implement an agreeable solution. I think everybody will benefit in the long run, and hopefully a time like some LEAF owners have experienced last summer won't return.

MrIanB said:
So if I understand this battery warranty, the replacement pack will have a 9 or so max recharge capacity instead of the original 12 bars? This is like getting a warranty on a tire and they give you a used tire for a replacement rather than a new one. This to me is unacceptable and the Leaf will be going back to Nissan in 21 months and moving on to another maker.
Ian, that's a good point, and Andy Palmer answered a similar question at the Phoenix Town Hall meeting. If I recall correctly, he said that Nissan's intention was return your battery to a state, where you will get good use out of it for some time. They wouldn't want a customer to return for a battery refresh every other month, since it would be counterproductive. As has been said many times earlier, there is indication that as of this writing a warranty repair would result in a factory-new battery pack.

Volusiano said:
The way I interpret what there is a conditional event (for lack of a better word) going on here. And that conditional event is the introduction of the warranty for the 2011-2012 LEAFs, and part of this warranty introduction is the SW update, all happening here in June 2013.

So the way I read it is that if you already lost more than 3 bars before June 2013 (before the conditional event), they still would honor the warranty retroactively, because at the time you lost your 4th bar (or more), Nissan can't blame you for not having the sw update installed because it was not available at that time yet, until now.

But now that the sw update is available, as part of the conditional event in June 2013, they expect you to come in to do the sw update. If you don't come in and do the sw update now, but claim your warranty say a year from now, they will not honor it unless you do the sw update first.

Nissan didn't write that sentence to give you a loop hole to not do the sw update. On the contrary, Nissan wrote that sentence to close the loop hole. Why else would they have written it like that? The whole point is that the sw update will result in less warranty claim, because the capacity reading will be less pessimistic. So why would Nissan write a clause in there to allow users to not do the sw update so that their capacity reading remains pessimistic so that they can claim their warranty sooner? It just doesn't make any sense.

The only sensible interpretation of that clause is Nissan saying "We'll let those of you who rely on the pessimistic reading to claim your warranty get away with it because your capacity loss happened before we were able to tighten up the reading with the software update." It also implies to mean that "Now that we have a sw update to tighten up the capacity reading, everyone else who claims the warranty after June 2013 (the conditional event) will need to make their claim based on the tightened-up reading caused by the sw update." For sure I doubt that it means "Oh, but we'll give you a loop hole whereby you don't have to get a sw update to tighten up the reading, and we will also honor the warranty after June 2013 just the same if you're smart enough to use our loop hole to continue having the pessimistic reading so you can claim your warranty sooner."

I understand and I'm afraid you're correct. All this leaves me with a feeling that the nature of the fix is something along the following, may be not as drastic but you get the idea. In other words you can only get your pack repaired if it degraded below 9 bars before the new warranty was put in effect as it will be very unlikely it will reach this level after this s/w update. Guess we'll never find out...

Code:
int displayCapacityBars = realCapacityBars();
while (displayCapacityBars < 9 && monthsInService() < 60 && odometerMiles() < 60000) {
    displayCapacityBars++;
}

Not requiring the update would help to fix trust issues between Nissan and its current customers, otherwise I'm not so sure this new warranty isn't just a new PR stunt.

MrIanB said:

Ian B

It seems to me that I'm not the only one who is disappointed with this warranty announcement except that I won't be able to walk away from my purchase or trade in the car because it has no resale value.
So, I have to live with range anxiety for ? years until Nissan replaces the battery to 9 bars of capacity, or in my laymen terms to get four miles more?

That is shameful.

Valdemar said:
Not requiring the update would help to fix trust issues between Nissan and its current customers, otherwise I'm not so sure this new warranty isn't just a new PR stunt.
The fact that Nissan continues to sell LEAFs in hot weather without warning customers at the point of sale about the effect of heat on battery capacity is enough to tell you whether Nissan deserves anymore trust from customer or not.

Or the fact that they only gave you a lame 30%/9-bar warranty in 5 year is enough to tell you whether it's just a PR stunt, or whether they really put the money where their mouth was when they let their spokesman Mark Perry claim 20% average loss in 5 year and 30% average loss in 10 years in the beginning of the roll-out.

Volusiano said:
Valdemar said:

Or the fact that they only gave you a lame 30%/9-bar warranty in 5 year is enough to tell you whether it's just a PR stunt, or whether they really put the money where their mouth was when they let their spokesman Mark Perry claim 20% average loss in 5 year and 30% average loss in 10 years in the beginning of the roll-out.

Yup, I see this new warranty as nothing more but an official acknowledgement that the original claim you refer to was a lie.

Back