LEAFs in St. Louis, Missouri?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to the forum. I am considering a Leaf. I would be going from North County to downtown and I think the round trip is going to be under 40 miles.
I have range fears, I am not certain my employer will let me plug in . I know we have a charging station in the deck but the company volt uses it.
I am going back and forth, I am being offered a 36 mo lease on an S with charging package 15k miles for $283.xx a month

I tend to over research and over think things but in this case the technology is moving so fast I just don't want to jump in too early.

There are 2 used Leafs for around $15k at Carmax but who knows what the batteries are like...
Can anyone help a confused guy out? You folks know what things are like in the real driving around the Lou.
Any charging stations around City Garden area???
Thank for any help and hope soon I can say I pulled the trigger...

I have been following EVs since the EV1. I followed the iMiev and the LEAF before they had a name for it. When I heard Nissan was taking reservations for the LEAF I called Nissan and paid for a reservation even though Nissan was not taking reservations for our area yet. I was one of the first 5000 to have a reservation. When Nissan announced they would put the LEAF in the rental fleets in "green states" before selling them to people with reservations in the fly over states I called them and complained and canceled the reservation.

Since then I have moved to O'Fallon MO, farther away from work. When I was eager to get a LEAF I drove 10 miles most days and 12 miles on the bad days. Now because of being farther from work and I now car pool with my wife and the round trip is 60 miles a day.

So now I have cold feet about winter driving range.....lol. I worry about the summer heat causing battery capacity loss in the summer and then the loss of range in the winter making the car un-usable. I still have two kids in college so waiting for the 2017 LEAF makes more sense, but maybe a 2 or 3 year lease would work until the GEN 2 LEAF is out in 2017.

Despite starting this thread, I gave up on the Leaf for now. (anyone need a charger?) ;)
I'm back in an Altima after having both the 2012 and 2013 Leafs (license plate AC POWR if anyone saw them around town).

I too live in O'Fallon MO.. I work in Maryland Heights.

The cold weather range was one of the largest issues I felt, especially on slow traffic days.. I was always overly conservative about not running main heat on those days. I relied on pre-heating the car and then using mostly steering wheel and seat heat after that.. but there have been days where I've been freezing (like the ultra-icy day last year when it took 3 hours to cover that distance).

I think Nissan certainly did good at helping to get the idea of electric cars out there, but I'm not going to be rushing back.
I like the "jump in and go" of gas again, not having to get home and swap to the minivan to go back out, etc.

..and yes, I have a 240V charger still if anyone wants to make an offer.

Hey, just from the other side of the state with 2.5 years of a Leaf ownership. You'll be fine during summer and warm months unless you drive 65+ mph. The real concern is a cold winter battery and how cold can you go. On bright clear roads at 0*F you would be hard pressed on year 1 to make it round trip w/o charging. If you use the heater it's a guarantee you wouldn't make it.

Later after you loose the first capacity bar around 2 years of use, the summer range might be questionable, especially if you drive fast.

With a chilled battery (40*F) and 15% degradation I still got over 60 miles of use at 35mph. However, with a frozen battery @ 15*F and using the heater I've gotten less than 30 miles.

I can't say how STL traffic and roads are on a regular basis so I can't provide any better details but in the winter on year 2 and definitely on year 3 you will probably need to charge at the office on super cold days.

If you have a spare ICE for bad snow (lower range) and extreme cold (<20*F) then you're probably good for a 3 year.

I'm a new Leaf driver since 2/10/15. I live in St. Peters and work in north St. Louis near Hall street. 54 miles round trip. Usually get home with 20-30%. My commute is almost all on I-70. That 10 degree weather was making it closer to 10% just using the heated seats and wheel. Still learning. I really love it. I figured out the other day, I've driven 1000 miles for about $27. More good news: my employer is getting estimates to install 110V outlets for charging. It's a Big corporation but the wheels are turning.

Does anyone know where to find continually updated information regarding charging station installs in STL area? I refresh Plugshare every once in awhile when I think of it, but I have no idea how accurate that's really is.

Just got our first Leaf last Monday - a 2015 SL in gunmetal grey. We live in Byrnes Mill, MO (near High Ridge) in Jefferson county and I work in south Saint Louis city. My commute is about 26 miles each way. You should be able to spot us pretty easily around town. We have decorated our Leaf, Serenity, in various decals and such honoring a short-lived sci-fi show, Firefly. I'm still waiting on a few more pieces and will post some pics.

So far I've really been enjoying the car. I actually have been making the commute down Highway 30/Gravois now instead of my old route down 44. We just got our home level two EVSE in today and it will be installed later this week. That will really free up any range anxiety I have. It's funny, I haven't had same day range anxiety - I always worry that I won't have enough for the next day if I don't get it home to charge in time. Not getting home sometimes till after 8pm and leaving by 6am the next day can really put a damper on getting a good charge on the level 1 EVSE.

I'm really looking forward to becoming an active member of the EV community here in Saint Louis and plan on attending the next Gateway EV Club meeting if our schedule permits.

During a cross-country trip, I was impressed by the number of CHAdeMO stations in Saint-Louis and Kansas City. It's a shame, however, that there aren't any in between.

Not that you would use them to regularly drive to Jefferson City, but they would be OK for a once or twice a year trip and might encourage more people to purchase EVs.

Back