You should have bought a diesel car if you wanted to save the world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
You:
post nonsensical garbage about nuclear;
are an AGW denialist;
spout trumper BS;
post that diesel is cleaner than EVs.

You might some day post something that is not garbage ...

I have said numerous times it's obvious that man effects the environment to include the climate.
You are incapable of reading comprehension, I don't know where you come up with this nonsense.
You are illogically paralyzed with fear when it comes to anything nuclear.
I hate all politicians. You think your guys care about you and the environment when they clearly dont.
Just the lack of cobalt alone makes diesel vehicle appealing.

Stoaty said:
Oilpan4 said:
This isn't just tesla it's all electric vehicles.
For example has already had its battery replaced.
And can pretty much guarantee I will swap it again well before 94,000, as I am currently at 65,000.
That is the problem with the Leaf. Mine lost about 30% in 6 years. However, my 2013 Tesla Model S just hit 90,000 miles (25,000 miles put on by me). It is on the original battery (I checked before purchase what work had been done under warranty) and has 250 mile rated range (95% of its original EPA rated mileage). Haven't seen any detectable change in the two years I have owned it. I charge to 50% during the week to protect the battery as 125 miles is 3 times what I need on a work day and still leaves me a huge cushion should I need it. The Teslas that may need battery replacement are generally those with a lot of supercharger use and charged to full capacity, both of which are not so good for the battery.
My would have had to of lost at least that much capacity in 3 years to get replaced under warrantee when it did.

Oilpan4 said:
A used up lithium battery will likely have to be shipped at least hundreds if not a thousand miles or more on average.
Have you heard of electric transport, powered by clean energy ?

Then there is the chemical seperation of the battery materials. There is a reason it's only being done on a large scale where there no environmental regulations.
You are as usual ignorant. Read the Tesla announcements. Production and 100% recycling at the GF1 in Reno, NV using self generated clean energy.

SageBrush said:
Oilpan4 said:
A used up lithium battery will likely have to be shipped at least hundreds if not a thousand miles or more on average.
Have you heard of electric transport, powered by clean energy ?

Then there is the chemical seperation of the battery materials. There is a reason it's only being done on a large scale where there no environmental regulations.
You are as usual ignorant. Read the Tesla announcements. Production and 100% recycling at the GF1 in Reno, NV using self generated clean energy.

All electric comes from the same power gird which is absolutely reliant on fossil and fissile fuels to cover base load and will remain that way for the forseeable future.
There is not going to be some special green transportation infrastructure just for shipping batteries. That's a delusional retarded fantasy.
Used up batteries will go on in the back of a diesel powered tractor trailer like literally everything shipped in this country for the forseeable future.

So say I have a dead EV battery how do I get it to NV?

I'm sure it's just coincidence. But NV does a lot of hazardous waste disposal.
Probably has nothing to do with tesla picking that location lol.

Oilpan4 said:
Just the lack of cobalt alone makes diesel vehicle appealing.

As a cyclist who's ridden my share of miles behind diesel vehicles I can assure I do not find them appealing. If you think THAT mess is saving the world I don't know what to tell you.

I'm perfectly fine with ticketing wankers who intentionally make vehicles smoke.
There's no reason a computer controlled diesel should be smoking all the time when it's not towing something.
From 2002 to 2016 I worked on gas turbine and diesel power generation. Smoke is wasted fuel and is a condition that needs correction.
I have an old diesel suburban and it doesn't smoke anything like some of these newer trucks I see.
The new ones run so clean from the factory the in side of the tail pipe doesn't even get coated with soot.

It's not the diesel engines fault. It's mostly the idiot who owns, works on it and plays with the computer settings and removes emissions controls.

Oilpan4 said:
Electric vehicles and renewables are dependent on fossil fuel power for every stage of their production too. With out the nuclear and fossil fuel back bone of the power grid no one would be charging their car.
The bootstrap problem? Or are you making a general claim that fossil fuels are required forever?

If our civilization can't replace fossil fuels almost everywhere with renewable materials and power, our civilization will die.

Biodiesel can't provide anywhere close to enough power for transportation.

Oilpan4 said:
All electric comes from the same power gird which is absolutely reliant on fossil and fissile fuels to cover base load and will remain that way for the forseeable future.
If you get your PV system up and running, will it reduce the pollution related to your consumption ?

----
I notice that you still have not explained why you agree with a "study" that assigns a 300 cycle, 96k mile life to a Tesla Model 3 battery other than the obvious shared idiocy.

Oilpan4 said:
I have said numerous times it's obvious that man effects the environment to include the climate.
I have read your pussy-footing denialism. Save it for trumpers.

It depends on the scope of the PV system.
If I go grid tie sure it will create less pollution.
If I go off grid, that means running a diesel or gasoline generator at least occasionally, using the wood stove and coal furmace more, I will have tons of lead acid batteries to recycle at some point, my excess PV doesn't get shared compared to grid tie.
I have had to do thousands of dollars worth of structural and electrical upgrades to get the house ready for solar.
I'm not just spending other people's money and having other people do it for me.

SageBrush said:
Oilpan4 said:
I have read your pussy-footing denialism. Save it for trumpers.
The only person on this form I see regularly saying anything about AGW denial on a regular basis is you. You're probably a closet denier.

Oilpan4 said:
It depends on the scope of the PV system.
The Tesla GF will not have *any* fossil use on site and will be grid tied. They will produce clean energy equal to the amount of electricity consumed.

On your terms it will be pollution and carbon free battery production and recycling.

Oilpan4 said:
The only person on this form I see regularly saying anything about AGW denial on a regular basis is you.
I go by your posts, but I'll repost my past summary of your posts here since you have not learned anything in the meantime:

"You have said before that you are willing to pollute the planet and drive it into AGW disaster to get the "cheapest" electricity but you support nuclear at 10x of cost of renewables. You are incoherent, even within your own insane world-view."

You are AGW denialism with trumpism on top. But go ahead, find the courage to state here your considered opinion what the climate sensitivity is to a doubling of atmospheric CO2e from 280 to 560 ppm. Don't pussyfoot around and BS, just state a climate sensitivity number.

I did not buy my EV "to save the planet". That is a naïve teenager ideal..

I bought mine to NOT use or be dependent on foreign oil, and to not contribute to depleting our limited oil resources...

No one today even mentions that oil is an asset that is getting harder and harder to get out of the ground. When that disappears, THEN we will be crying for mama...

Not sure anyone here is interested in red herring bait and does not appear to have suggested he/she bought an electric vehicle to alone "save the planet". But would venture to say many consider it one of numerous important steps to take in this regard.

Indeed there are many other reasons to acquire such a vehicle as well.

powersurge said:
I did not buy my EV "to save the planet". That is a naïve teenager ideal..
One EV is about as useful as one vote.

I bought mine to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. At a minimum I want my life to have not made things worse for the generations to come.

Back