2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda cool. I learned a little leaf history in the process. Amazing what perfect conditions and hypermiking will do. I wouldn’t have even expected 600 km let alone 660. The traffic noise and the Parisienne dialect made it difficult for me in some sections but then again I’m not a native speaker.

Cheers.

Yeah, on some short drives I have achieved 7 miles on a KW, but would not have the patience to do it for 410 miles.

What surprised me was that on the same lower speed test circuit, he was able to achieve a better efficiency then the Tesla 3 LR. Makes me believe that once drag factors are removed both cars are pretty equivalent in terms of efficiency of drive train. Interesting that the earlier Leafs did not do as well though.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Actually what surprised me was that at 12% on the dash, I still had 21% and 156 Gids left per Leafspy. An 8-9% buffer means you could go 20or so miles beyond the milage displayed.

Does anyone know when the low battery warning kicks in? I haven’t been patient enough to get to it yet.

156 Gids was 2/3rds battery when my 13 leaf was new. Now that’s nearly the reserve.

On a 40kwH car it's around 8-9% on the GOM indicator initially & then more aggressive warnings as the remaining % falls.

Would be interesting to see if the warning happens at a lower % in a 62kwH due to the larger pack.

Ok, will post the full report when back, but traveled 242.4 miles today on a charge, all but about 6 miles on the free way. Travel from northern suburb of Chicago to Bloomington IN.

Starting SOC 99.7% 765 GIDs 59.3KW
Battery temp about 81F ambient temp 82F
(Started from a garage)

Ending SOC 10% 76 GID (dash read 1% with — for remaining miles) 5.9 KW
Ending temp100.8F. Ambient peaked around 92F. We were parked in a sun baked Walmart parking lot for a 1/2 for one of the stops.

Average speed over trip 48MPH due to coffee and bathroom stops, thick traffic through Chicago and a couple slow spots near the border. Divided highway Cross traffic stop lights in 30 miles south of Indy also slows down the average, and punishes efficiency. Speeds between Chicago and Bloomington were generally between 60 and 70mph. Maybe a touch faster in spots where I wasn’t paying attention.

Low battery kicked in at 107 GIds and 8.3KWh remaining (dash at 5% maybe 6%). Average efficiency 4.4 miles / kW overall.

4 adult passengers, maybe ~600Lbs + 2 suitcases and a full cooler. AC on entire trip, though set in mid-upper 70s.

Not bad, but I think this is my limit before hitting range anxiety or having to make a concession on travel speeds. I ran out of time to tape the grill. Will have to try that on the next run.

Interesting video by nextmove.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fwQR_Kkbugw

While Leaf didn’t fare well at 150km/h, it was much more competitive at 120km/h. I would like to see another run at 90km/h as this seems to imply drive train is pretty on par, but aerodynamics are hurting it at high speeds as we know.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, will post the full report when back, but traveled 242.4 miles today on a charge, all but about 6 miles on the free way. Travel from northern suburb of Chicago to Bloomington IN.

Battery temp about 81F ambient temp 82F
(Started from a garage)

Ending temp100.8F. Ambient peaked around 92F. We were parked in a sun baked Walmart parking lot for a 1/2 for one of the stops.

Average speed over trip 48MPH due to coffee and bathroom stops, thick traffic through Chicago and a couple slow spots near the border. Divided highway Cross traffic stop lights in 30 miles south of Indy also slows down the average, and punishes efficiency. Speeds between Chicago and Bloomington were generally between 60 and 70mph. Maybe a touch faster in spots where I wasn’t paying attention.

Low battery kicked in at 107 GIds and 8.3KWh remaining (dash at 5% maybe 6%). Average efficiency 4.4 miles / kW overall.

4 adult passengers, maybe ~600Lbs + 2 suitcases and a full cooler. AC on entire trip, though set in mid-upper 70s.

Not bad, but I think this is my limit before hitting range anxiety or having to make a concession on travel speeds. I ran out of time to tape the grill. Will have to try that on the next run.

Interesting video by nextmove.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fwQR_Kkbugw

While Leaf didn’t fare well at 150km/h, it was much more competitive at 120km/h. I would like to see another run at 90km/h as this seems to imply drive train is pretty on par, but aerodynamics are hurting it at high speeds as we know.

Thanks for the video Doug. German is my fourth language and that guy speaks a little quick but the graphs helped. Are you a native speaker Doug?

DougWantsALeaf said:

Average efficiency 4.4 miles / kW overall.
You mean kWh in all of the above cases?

I learned some German in high school and college. It’s fast for me too.

If the Leaf was just a wee bit more efficient at speed (and have some basic thermal mgmt) it would be much more competitive.

I can’t figure out whether they are supply constrained in the big battery or not.

Interesting, the car only needed 49KW to charge back to 100%. Adding back the just shy of 6KW remaining, where are the other 3-4KW?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, will post the full report when back, but traveled 242.4 miles today on a charge, all but about 6 miles on the free way. Travel from northern suburb of Chicago to Bloomington IN................

Doug,

Great efficiency. I can’t seem to get over 3.8 miles/kw when traveling 60-65 mph flat roads in Florida. I do this 125 mile trip several times a month.

I run tires at 40 psi, maybe 500 lbs passengers etc

What’s your Secret ? Any advice to boost efficiency?

Ok, trip is over.

the 4 legs per Nissan Connect:

Chicago Area to Lafayette - 133.9 Miles 4.5 miles/kWh
Lafayette to Bloomington IN - 106.8 Miles 4.5 miles/kWh

Bloomington IN to Lafayette - 109 Miles 4.3 miles/kWh
Lafayette to Chicago Area (north side) - 134.8 Miles 4.3 miles/kWh (as I had a bad level 2 charge in Bloomington (only charged to 730 GIDS, not sure why), I did add 7% at a level 2 for safety)

Battery temperature was in both cases about 10 degrees above ambient post the 4.5-5 hours of driving time. Informal observation was that it stayed about 2-3 degrees above ambient until the midway point stop, then was a few degrees higher for the second half. The stop in both cases was on hot pavement, so that might have made things worse, but in neither case was I near thermal regulation. Ambient on the way back was low 90's. AC on all the way, but set up upper 70's to manage power consumption (and honestly the temp. I prefer in tee shirt and shorts).

In both directions I pulled in below low battery, but above very low battery with 1% on the dash for a number of miles. Leafspy in both cases had me at around 4.8 kWh remaining or about 18-20 miles plus 3% buffer. (Apologies, I didn't take the gid numbers on the way back).

On return trip, I was driving notably faster on the first leg, with spots touching 75, though usually in the 67-69 mph (vs 65ish on the way down). The 2nd leg was a bit faster as I didn't hit traffic (amazing) north of the Jane Byrd interchange (though had a map route failure around the border which ended up sending me from 94 to the skyway). There were areas of construction where we were at 55 or 45 which did help overall numbers in both directions.

Tires at 45 PSI (ramping up PSI feels like a drug, once you go higher, you don't want to go back down)

As to secrets of efficiency, stay with packs of cars/trucks (don't draft trucks - use the 3 lines of space on pro pilot as a minimum distance), as you do get some mild slip stream effects by being around other cars. Cars get a boost to mpg with this as well, you just appreciate it more with your ev. Let your speed drift down as needed to balance efficiency. During a section north of Lafayette around a number of windmills, based on the windmills facing direction, I could tell I was getting a relatively stiff headwind (not as bad as when driving straight west) so slowed speed into upper 50's. If facing a head wind, you might need to temporarily drop down to 55 mph. While I will use pro pilot in sections to eat/drink/stretch, I don't use it for long periods (more than a few minutes) usually for this reason. Wind free and flat, I do think Propilot is actually at times steadier then my foot. I would like a constant power cruise setting for this reason.

If you have significant downhill sections, regen your speed down to no more then about 65.

Watch Leafspy and your dash efficiency like a hawk.

I am confused, you say you pulled in with low battery from going 134 ish miles on a Leaf Plus? What did you start with?

Assuming 4.0 m/kWh and 55kWh battery you should get 220 miles?

Flyct said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, will post the full report when back, but traveled 242.4 miles today on a charge, all but about 6 miles on the free way. Travel from northern suburb of Chicago to Bloomington IN................

Doug,

Great efficiency. I can’t seem to get over 3.8 miles/kw when traveling 60-65 mph flat roads in Florida. I do this 125 mile trip several times a month.

I run tires at 40 psi, maybe 500 lbs passengers etc

What’s your Secret ? Any advice to boost efficiency?

Drive in Eco B. Use E Pedal only for quick slow downs but not to a full stop (rarely needed on freeway anyway) if possible.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I was digging through some old posts and came across one that suggested that opening the hood can reduce the rate of battery temperature increase.

Has anyone else tried that? Any success?

A myth most likely since the batteries are not under the hood. Besides everything under the hood as its own cooling system and even if opening the hood helped, it wouldn't affect battery temps in any way.

So I tried it on my quick charge after I got back from Indiana. The wind was blowing, so I felt like having it open may have directed some airflow into and under the car.

I did add 20% charge with only a 6 degree battery temp increase, which was pretty good and less than my other QCs. Now the QC was running only at about 35-37 KW (which now feels like forever compared to the 70 KW at the other one in town, but this one at the dealer ship was free).

Not enough data to tell anything substantial.

DougWantsALeaf said:
One thing I do appreciate about having the SV vs. the SL is that by not having a sun roof, we have a few extra inches of head clearance in the back.

I have an SL without a sunroof :)

DougWantsALeaf said:
Can you order an SL, and ask them not to put the sunroof in? I would have liked the leather seats, but didn't want the stereo or the sunroof.

I honestly haven't seen an SL WITH a sunroof. We test drove 3 in different parts of Ohio, and the ones we looked at online in MD didn't have sunroofs either. I'm not sure it's an option to have a sunroof in the SL (at least from what I've seen), you can't add one when you build one online either.

NotATesla said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Can you order an SL, and ask them not to put the sunroof in? I would have liked the leather seats, but didn't want the stereo or the sunroof.

I honestly haven't seen an SL WITH a sunroof. We test drove 3 in different parts of Ohio, and the ones we looked at online in MD didn't have sunroofs either. I'm not sure it's an option to have a sunroof in the SL (at least from what I've seen), you can't add one when you build one online either.

I have never seen a sunroof on the option sheet. Wasn’t on ours for our 2020 Eplus.

DougWantsALeaf said:
One thing I do appreciate about having the SV vs. the SL is that by not having a sun roof, we have a few extra inches of head clearance in the back.
Nissan doesn't have a sun roof optional or standard in the LEAF that I'm aware of. Someone here once got one done aftermarket in a 2015, but that's the only one I've seen.

Back