New price for battery replacement - over 25000$!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabicao

So prices for a battery replacement at Nissan just changed to roughly 25k for a 24kwh, 30k for a 30kwh one.

Confirmed in Portugal and New Zealand.
Has any one seen this elsewhere?

What could Nissan be thinking with this move? Are they abandoning this market?

Fernando

We'll need to see some confirmation of this, but if it's actually Nissan policy and not some dealerships trying to discourage people who want new batteries rather than new Leafs, it's bad news indeed.

sabicao said:
So prices for a battery replacement at Nissan just changed to roughly 25k for a 24kwh, 30k for a 30kwh one.

Confirmed in Portugal and New Zealand.
Has any one seen this elsewhere?

What could Nissan be thinking with this move? Are they abandoning this market?

Fernando

Just spoke with Nissan US EV customer support and the pricing is (roughly) unchanged. $8600 for the battery -$1000 core deposit+installation. This means that a new 24 kWh battery is around $8500 installed (up from ~$8000 last year). She did confirm that 30, 40, and 62 kWh batteries are more expensive to replace than the 24 kWh battery, but none are $25k.

As this was Nissan EV US, she had no information about other regions.

Nissan also will only sell a replacement battery with a dealer diagnostic that the car needs a new battery. They require the old battery be returned, and will only sell the capacity that originally came with the car.

LeftieBiker said:
We'll need to see some confirmation of this, but if it's actually Nissan policy and not some dealerships trying to discourage people who want new batteries rather than new Leafs, it's bad news indeed.

There was a news article about someone that was quoted $30k (plus installation & tax) for a new 2011 battery:
https://autoexpert.com.au/videoblog/astonishing-30k-nissan-leaf-battery-replacement-bill

It's unclear if that's the actual cost of the item, or if the dealer was just trying to get him to go away. If that was true, it certainly had the opposite effect.

Lothsahn said:
It's unclear if that's the actual cost of the item, or if the dealer was just trying to get him to go away. If that was true, it certainly had the opposite effect.

It appears, in another article, that Nissan offered to replace the battery for $9,990, which is comparable to the US:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7527339/Nissan-Leaf-owner-Phillip-Carlson-charged-33-000-new-battery-2012-electric-car.html

Here is what is happening in Portugal:

- a UBER driver requested a new battery for his 2016 30kWh Leaf (out of warranty) and was quoted roughly 9000€ to be paid up front, which he did. After being delayed a couple of months, Nissan finally told him the battery replacement cost was just changed, and would now be roughly 30000€.
He contacted Nissan Iberia (which covers Portugal and Spain) and got a confirmation letter stating that the new price is indeed correct.
- at the same time, those news about the New Zealend guy being asked 33K Aus$ surfaced.
- a member of the Leaf PT forum here in Portugal got an official quote of 25000€ for the replacement of his 24kWh Leaf.
- I requested a quote for my 30kWh leaf, still waiting.

(how do I insert images in this message? I have pictures with the actual quotes and confirmation letter)

LeftieBiker said:
You have to upload images to a site like Imgur and then link their location here, with the IMAGE tag. Don't use Photobucket.

I use my Google Drive:

1. Use the web app to get a shareable link
2. Put inside IMAGE tags
3. Change the fragment of the URL that says open?id to uc?id

Back