New User needs help deciphering Leafspy report (orange car w "!" alert)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaflifer

Hello, Leafers,

I've been driving my 2011 California Leaf for five years now with no problem until last week, when the little orange car with an exclamation point suddenly popped up on my dashboard display. Following suggestions I read on this Forum, I installed Leafspy Pro on my iPad and hooked up the LELink OBD2, which displayed the following DTC alerts:

C1109 0008 ABS Battery Voltage Abnormal BRC-75
C118C 0108 ABS EV/HEV System BRC-126
Pk None—-> AIR BAG
B2562 0008 BCM Low Voltage BCS-69
C1705 0008 BCM Low Pressure FR WT-26
C1707 0008 BCM Low Pressure RL WT-26
C1A62 0108 BRAKE Control Mod Pwr Supply BR-53
C1A6E 0108 BRAKE EV/HEV System BR-146
C1A70 0108 BRAKE Control System BR-160
B29A0 2428 CHARGER N/CHG Port Engage Err VC-95
B29A0 2968 CHARGER N/CHG Port Engage Err VC-95
U100A 876 CHARGER
Ok None- - - > PARKING BRAKE
Ok None- - - > EPS
P3180 00C0 EV.HEV HV Battery System EVC-130
Ok None- - - > HVAC
P33D4 000E HV BATTERY Bat Int Resistance Diag EVB-130
Ok None- - - > IPDN E/R
Ok None- - - > METER
Ok None- - - > MOTOR CONTROL
Ok None- - - > SHIFT
U1A05 0008 TCU USB Comm AV-199

I notice the first line indicates some sort of Abnormal Battery Voltage. According to the LEAFSPY, my accessories battery is operating at >13 volts. I also notice that the pressure appear to be low on two of the tires, which I can easily address. As for the rest of the lines, I'm at a loss. Can someone here help me decipher the rest of this intriguing page of hieroglyphics?

Thanks!

Aside from the charge port errors, this sort of mishmash is often the result of a weak or dying 12 volt battery. How old is your accessory battery? (LeafSpy shows 13 volts because the DC-DC converter is providing 12 volt power with the car On, not the 12 volt battery.) I suggest that you start there. Check the resting voltage of the 12 volt battery with the car Off for 30 minutes or more. Leave the hood unlatched and don't enter the car - just use a meter directly on the 12 volt battery.

Thanks! I will check the 12 v battery. How far under the rated 12 volts can it read before I should be concerned?

Should I do something to address those charge port errors you mention?

Best…

First check the 12 volt battery. Sorry I left out the range: 12.2 or higher and it likely isn't the battery. Below 12.2 and it could be. below 12.0 and you can pretty much bet on it.

How old is the 12V? Although the low resting voltage can indicate a weak battery, a "good" reading can also be misleading. I.e., a dying battery may register sufficient resting voltage and then fall flat when a load is applied. A more conclusive test is a "load test". You can purchase such testers/analyzers or take it to a parts shop that provides the service for free (autozone is one, iirc). Gasoline vehicles have a load-testing device built-in that lets you know when the battery is getting weak -- it's called a "starter". LEAF sometimes gives no warning until the dash lights up like a Christmas tree.

Once the 12V is sorted you can use LeafSpy to clear the trouble codes then see if any return.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I just charged the 12 volt Optima Yellow Top 51R AGM battery overnight using a HULKMAN SIGMA 1 charger.

Once the battery was charged, I then disconnected and reconnected the 12 volt battery (as recommended in another thread on this topic on this page.)

I then cleared the DTCs using LeafSpy.

After all that, the yellow warning light persists on the dashboard.

Here are the new codes that are currently displayed on the LeafSpy DTC screen:

Ok None- - - > ABS
Ok None- - - > AIR BAG
Ok None- - - > BCM
Ok None- - - > BRAKE
Ok None- - - > CHARGER
Ok None- - - > EPS
P3180 00C0 EV/HEV Battery System EVC-249
OK None- - - > HVAC
P33D4 000E HV Battery Bat Int Resistance Diag EVB-130
Ok None- - - > IPDM E/R
Ok None- - - > METER
Ok None- - - > MULTI AV
Ok None- - - > SHIFT

Any idea what those lines reveal?

Thanks again for taking the time to weigh in on this issue. Most appreciated.

Try disconnecting/reconnecting the 12V battery and clearing DTC's at least a couple more times. It can take a couple times to clear all of the CAN Bus communication errors caused by a weak 12V battery. I also connect a 12V light bulb or resistor between the disconnected positive and negative battery cables to fully discharge power supplies and capacitors in the various modules before reconnecting the 12V battery.

Hello, Leafers,

I've been driving my 2011 California Leaf for five years now with no problem until last week, when the little orange car with an exclamation point suddenly popped up on my dashboard display. Following suggestions I read on this Forum, I installed Leafspy Pro on my iPad and hooked up the LELink OBD2, which displayed the following DTC alerts:

C1109 0008 ABS Battery Voltage Abnormal BRC-75
C118C 0108 ABS EV/HEV System BRC-126
Pk None—-> AIR BAG
B2562 0008 BCM Low Voltage BCS-69
C1705 0008 BCM Low Pressure FR WT-26
C1707 0008 BCM Low Pressure RL WT-26
C1A62 0108 BRAKE Control Mod Pwr Supply BR-53
C1A6E 0108 BRAKE EV/HEV System BR-146
C1A70 0108 BRAKE Control System BR-160
B29A0 2968 CHARGER N/CHG Port Engage Err VC-95
U100A 876 CHARGER
Ok None- - - > EPS
P3180 00C0 EV.HEV HV Battery System EVC-130
Ok None- - - > HVAC
P33D4 000E HV BATTERY Bat Int Resistance Diag EVB-130
Ok None- - - > IPDN E/R
Ok None- - - > METER
Ok None- - - > SHIFT

I notice the first line indicates some sort of Abnormal Battery Voltage. According to the LEAFSPY, my accessories battery is operating at >13 volts. I also notice that the pressure appear to be low on two of the tires, which I can easily address. As for the rest of the lines, I'm at a loss. Can someone here help me decipher the rest of this intriguing page of hieroglyphics?

Thanks!
Dont confuse 12v auto battery under the hood. With the battery for the electric motors.

Take a volt meter across the 12v battery under the hood... if it is not 13v, you just need a new 12v battery from the local auto parts store.. You ONLY need to match where the posts are (Plus and minus), and the physical size of the battery... as the factory uses a cheap cheap 12v battery.

My 2015 leaf threw some catastrophic codes...told me to tow it to dealer... on the screen. I called my auto parts supplier, had him send over a new 12v battery... and it was just like replacing the 12v battery in any car... but leave the battery disconnected for several minutes to clear the codes.

after the new battery was in. I had to press start. Wait...press start wait.. and the second or third time the car stopped being a catastrophic mess (when the 12v battery died) and has been normal for the last year since the new battery

Back