Service and battery usage report cost in Europe.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLEA

Looking to buy a LEAF and service costs here in Norway seems to be astronomical compared to the US.
What are people in UK/Europe paying for 1yr, 2yr service, and are the first two battery usage reports free as in the US?

Astronomical explained:
Service cost in US for 1yr service: $20. (quoted from http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/features/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Service cost in Norway for 1yr service: $690. (Nope. No typo. 4000,- NOK, $690 USD, £450 GBP)
2yr service gets even worse...

The first question would be what services are they trying to sell you? With the exception of the battery report there is nothing specific on the Leaf yearly maintenance that cannot be accomplished by a qualified mechanic.

Yep, zero cost for first and second battery pack check. They are probably telling you that you have to have the brake fluid changed/flushed, tire rotation, and new air filter. You don't need anyof those except tire rotation and you can go somewhere else for that.

So here is what they are saying the 1yr service consists of:
Inspect charging port.
Run battery usage report. (How long does this take? My dealer says it takes a while and adds to the cost of the service.)
Inspect brake lines and cables.
Inspect brake pads and rotors.
Replace brake fluid.
Inspect reduction gear oil.
Inspect steering gear and linkage, axle and suspension parts.
Inspect drive shaft boots.
Replace in-cabin microfilter.

As you can see this is the Schedule 1 in Nissan`s service manual. Which makes sense, seeing as we have some rough and salty roads in winter.
But they also insist on disassembling all the brakes, lubricating and re-assembling them. Every year. No matter the distance driven.
If this is not done the warranty is void. Nissan Norway actually puts its own extra pages in the service and maintenance manual that comes with the car.

Does your Maintenance Manual say that the first two years of battery usage reports are paid for by Nissan, like it says in the US Manual ?

I assume you also have a Schedule 2 (less severe) ? That's the one I've pushed with the dealer (it makes sense here in California), and was thus able to save about $200 they charge for the brake fluid change and cabin filter change.

Flea, I don't know about where you're at but most of the "inspection" items are covered here for free when you have a mechanic rotate the tires. I certainly would not PAY to have someone to a visual "inspection". The dealer I bought from frequently has "free" inspections once or twice a year where you can bring any Nissan to them and they will look it over and let you know what needs to happen. Free.

If the first two battery inspections/reports are free then how can they add to the cost of the service? It appears to me that someone is trying to make a quick buck for doing nothing. That's just my opinion.

The only thing you should be paying for in the first two years would be replacing the cabin filter (yes i know you can do it yourself but not me) and rotating the tires.

ksnogas2112 said:
If the first two battery inspections/reports are free then how can they add to the cost of the service? It appears to me that someone is trying to make a quick buck for doing nothing. That's just my opinion.

The only thing you should be paying for in the first two years would be replacing the cabin filter (yes i know you can do it yourself but not me) and rotating the tires.
They are not free in Norway. The information regarding first two free battery usage reports are removed.
Partly the reason for starting this thread. I was hoping some UK or other europe LEAF owner would chime in on what their paperwork says.

Someone is definately trying to make a quick buck. The problem is that Nissan Norway condones their dealers operating this way.
I have tried to contact Nissan Norway, Nissan Europe, Nissan UK and Nissan Corporate in japan to get answers, but to no avail.
I have told my local dealer that i will buy a fully loaded LEAF the minute they can explain their costs, show me a Nissan Official Letter telling me i have to have the brakes done every year, or they will guarantee me a preferable rate on the first two services.

I think service costs are around 80-120 Euro in Ireland, if you need exact price I will be doing my third one very soon so I can PM you scan of invoice.

My first inspection last year cost 70€. Early reports from feloow Leaf owners are that the second year service is around 90-100€. 690USD for 1st year service is indeed astronomical!

In the US most people do not perform the brake fluid exchange because that is "severe" driving suggestion. Changing brake fluid yearly is unheard of unless you are driving A LOT - IMHO. Additionally, the in-cabin microfilter also can be performed by you if you are comfortable. There are write ups on how to perform this as it is pretty simple. It is located behind the glove box and can be accessed with a simple screw driver (if i recall correctly).

In the US the battery report is required to keep your battery warranty. However, the other items are not. Perhaps it is worth asking your dealer the cost to only perform the battery report (which takes about 1-2hrs). If you feel compelled to perform the other tasks, you could always take it to an independent mechanic. All the other items are pretty straight forward as they are on any other car.

This is a complete ripoff by Nissan Norway. Just the next country over in, Denmark, the first year service is something like 900 Danish kroner, which is about $160.

Back