Nissan Connect/Connect EV Bluetooth dependency

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fester

I may be wrong here, but seems the "Nissan Connect" is Bluetooth dependent, which means that an iPad or iPhone alone is probably not going to connect thru walls, etc. to your Leaf less than 50' away in the driveway. If this is true, what Bluetooth extenders work well with it. I certainly would like to view charging status, etc. while snug and warm in bed at 3:00 am but not without a good Bluetooth connection....

Nissan Connect is a Web-based service, with an app and a website. No Bluetooth is needed, except for streaming music from your phone or using the car to make and receive phone calls.

I haven’t been sure there. If Nissan connect is able to control/monitor your Leaf remotely, and it seems Wi-Fi is off with the ignition off, what’s the data link between the car and Nissan connect? They imply that you can check status with it just in the driveway or garage.

fester said:
I haven’t been sure there. If Nissan connect is able to control/monitor your Leaf remotely, and it seems Wi-Fi is off with the ignition off, what’s the data link between the car and Nissan connect? They imply that you can check status with it just in the driveway or garage.

It uses a cellular phone-based transceiver. As with cell phones, reception issues can prevent it from connecting, although it's more often problems with Nissan's servers or the app itself.

That explains it. I live in a rather hilly area, basically 10 miles out of town. I have to drive 5 miles towards town to get a cell signal. I can make a call from the home location using Wi-Fi but this area is dead as far as cellular.
I’ll keep trying via a Wi-Fi obd2 dongle and Leaf Spy Pro.

Unfortunately, here in the valley finding a cell signal involves moving several thousand feet. I’ll have to try the Wi-Fi and app route…

Nissan connect uses the satellite radio antenna for a connection.

Nissan advertises Sirius XM as the sponsor for connected services. It all runs through Sirius satellites.

Any Nissan without Sirius xm option, will not have connected service.

As long as the antenna can connect. The app will work. Garages and underground usually fail to connect.

Justinlalumiere said:
Don't know where this came from, but it's completely false and should be ignored.
This OP's problem is bad cell reception, and his idea to use a dongle with LeafSpy is a good alternative for his situation (assuming he stays within range of the dongle).

I've also seen mention of Sirius/XM somehow sponsoring the connected services, and it does - confusingly - seem to strongly imply that they are provided through their satellite radios. Just another example of Nissan playing "Confuse A Cat" with Leaf drivers.

LeftieBiker said:
I've also seen mention of Sirius/XM somehow sponsoring the connected services, and it does - confusingly - seem to strongly imply that they are provided through their satellite radios. Just another example of Nissan playing "Confuse A Cat" with Leaf drivers.

I was just wondering....does anyone in the group have a Sirius/XM active subscription ? i was wondering if thier Nissan Connect app is still active for them. I did use the app almost on a daily basis and honstly miss it. my last ICE car 2010 Chevy HHR had Onstar that was worth the monthly fee.
I do have some mobility issues and the app was a nice way to make life a little easier.

BillAinCT said:
I have an active Sirius subscription and have no issues at all with Nissan Connect Services. 2022 SL+.
That's because the Gen2 Leaf's have a 4G modem in the TCU (has nothing to do with Sirius/XM).
I have Sirius/XM in a Gen1 Leaf...and it has no affect on NissanConnectEV (just like I said in an earlier posting). The only thing it gets you is traffic updates on the Nav.

Sorry I didn't see we were talking about Gen 1 or I wouldn't have answered. I thought this was a general question as to who uses Sirius and Nissan Connect.

Stanton said:
Justinlalumiere said:
Don't know where this came from, but it's completely false and should be ignored.
This OP's problem is bad cell reception, and his idea to use a dongle with LeafSpy is a good alternative for his situation (assuming he stays within range of the dongle).

Read the Nissan website. Dont be rude either.

The question was, how is the Connect Service connected, i answered with SiriusXM satellite, which according to Nissan, is how it works.

And I quote" Nissan connect EV, powered by Sirius XM"
See the link as well, seems you want people to ignore.

https://www.nissan.ca/services/nissan-connect.html

Justinlalumiere said:
Stanton said:
Justinlalumiere said:

The question was, how is the Connect Service connected, I answered with SiriusXM satellite, which according to Nissan, is how it works.

And I quote "Nissan connect EV, powered by Sirius XM"
If you actually read from that website (quite a ways down the page):
In addition to offering over 150 satellite radio channels, SiriusXM® on NissanConnect® also features Travel Link® and SiriusXM Traffic to help get you where you're going.
SiriusXM only provides traffic updates to the Nav (which I use) and has nothing to do with NissanConnectEV.
That's not being rude: it's trying to stop the spread of bad information.

Stanton said:
Justinlalumiere said:
Stanton said:
This OP's

The question was, how is the Connect Service connected, I answered with SiriusXM satellite, which according to Nissan, is how it works.

And I quote "Nissan connect EV, powered by Sirius XM"
If you actually read from that website (quite a ways down the page):
In addition to offering over 150 satellite radio channels, SiriusXM® on NissanConnect® also features Travel Link® and SiriusXM Traffic to help get you where you're going.
SiriusXM only provides traffic updates to the Nav (which I use) and has nothing to do with NissanConnectEV.
That's not being rude: it's trying to stop the spread of bad information.

[MOD: insult removed from this post]
It’s plastered all over Nissans website. It’s engraved into the drivers window of my leaf.
It’s plastered all over the connect app.
It’s even in the owners manual that Nissan piggy backs SiriusXM satellites.

But whatever. You’re right and it’s just the radio 😂

He is correct. The transceiver used to communicate with the car is cellular, not satellite radio based. That is why most Leafs lost their remote access when 3G networks were closed. You misunderstanding that is understandable given the way Nissan misrepresents it on their site, but that isn't an excuse for being abusive. Please stop immediately.

Justinlalumiere said:
[MOD: insult removed from this post]

I was going to issue a warning to you about slinging insults, but another mod already beat me to it.

And just to make it clear: Stanton is correct about what Sirius XM provides, and your statement is incorrect. You might want to back down.

Back