'12 Leaf totaled...what to take

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memfist

So my "new to me" 3 month old 2012 SL got hit by another car and is now totaled. Really bummed, as I had spent quite a bit of time looking for just the right deal.

Anyways, it's at the tow yard and i need to get a few personal belongings out of it. Without trying to take everything that's not screwed in, any insight into what I should take with me since i plan to purchase another used Leaf to replace it. Some items I thought of:

- 110v charger (still in trunk)
- Map SD card
- ???

Sorry to hear this, Hope you all are safe...

I read in some emails people take battery.

When you say totaled - did you lose a lot of money because these cars depreciate so fast...

Thanks in advance for the info.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Hopefully everyone is okay. If you can get the battery (probably will need help) it's worth a fair bit. The front headlights are pretty expensive if they are still intact.

Thanks all. Came out of it with only a broken collarbone thanks to the seatbelt. It's not fun but could've been much worse.

Yeah I don't think I'll be able to take out the battery, especially in my condition.

Don't take the SD card. It won't work in another car and if that car is used for parts it will still work with that nav unit.

SD card worth in the correct nav unit $200
SD card worth when you take it without the nav unit $1

As to the EVSE it is worth a couple of hundred dollars even if you just sell it to a random person or use yourself on another EV.

CoLwE54.jpg

YBv0bAs.jpg

PQgCqu5.jpg

ifPyYXD.jpg

T9H5Vso.jpg

RIP

memfist said:
So my "new to me" 3 month old 2012 SL got hit by another car and is now totaled. Really bummed, as I had spent quite a bit of time looking for just the right deal.

Anyways, it's at the tow yard and i need to get a few personal belongings out of it. Without trying to take everything that's not screwed in, any insight into what I should take with me since i plan to purchase another used Leaf to replace it. Some items I thought of:

- Map SD card
- ???
Looking at the damage it did to the SUV, the Leaf superior weight and compact, center body design won out :mrgreen:

[edit]
Where did your accident happen? This area looks familiar to me?

knightmb said:
memfist said:

- Map SD card
- ???
Looking at the damage it did to the SUV, the Leaf superior weight and compact, center body design won out :mrgreen:

[edit]
Where did your accident happen? This area looks familiar to me?

Yes, I was really impressed with how the Leaf held up vs the GMC SUV. Smacked me going about 45-50. Happened in Brentwood.

Yeah, just noticed the Concord Road sign in one of the pictures, I know right where that intersection is. If you need help salvaging stuff, I have a Leaf and a 2,000 lb capacity trailer for it. We can strip that car down like a chop shop :mrgreen:

knightmb said:
Yeah, just noticed the Concord Road sign in one of the pictures, I know right where that intersection is. If you need help salvaging stuff, I have a Leaf and a 2,000 lb capacity trailer for it. We can strip that car down like a chop shop :mrgreen:
Good news is that i'm getting a pretty fair check from insurance, so no need to start up my own chop shop. :)

The wheels are easy to pull and you could sell them pretty easily or keep one for a spare on your next one. But it is work to get them off the vehicle.

When an insurance company totals out a car, don't they own it? They paid you off for it, correct?

I know that some owners buy the wrecked car back from the insurance company to salvage or fix up themselves, but I didn't think you could just go in and take wheels and other stuff off of the car...Or maybe I am mistaken?

Randy said:
When an insurance company totals out a car, don't they own it? They paid you off for it, correct?

I know that some owners buy the wrecked car back from the insurance company to salvage or fix up themselves, but I didn't think you could just go in and take wheels and other stuff off of the car...Or maybe I am mistaken?
Correct. i checked w them before taking the charging cable. i left the rest.

memfist said:
Randy said:

Ah well, would have been fun, :D

Do you plan on getting another Leaf or staying with the other vehicle that you already have?

knightmb said:
memfist said:
Randy said:

Ah well, would have been fun, :D

Do you plan on getting another Leaf or staying with the other vehicle that you already have?

Looking for another Leaf. the Prius V is my wife's. so if anyone is selling a 13 SV, i'm in the market.

Back