12 volt battery issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chandfiji

Hi Guys,i just had the 12v battery replaced on my 2018 leaf just 2 and half yrs later. i thought that's pretty bad 12v that goes out in 2 and half yrs. I have 49000km. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've noticed that my 2018 will often keep the 12 volt battery low, but not as low as was common with my 2013. Do you leave the car plugged in but not charging for long periods?

Also depending on your usage pattern you may need to periodically use a 12v trickle charger(battery tender) to keep the 12v battery topped up as a standard lead-acid 12v battery doesn't like to sit low in charge for extended periods of time. Because of this some Leaf users either replace their 12v lead-acid battery with a much more expensive lithium battery or what I did, replace mine with a somewhat more expensive AGM battery like an Optima yellow top battery which is better suited for sitting for extended periods of time at a lower SOC.
Of course, you could always just use a standard lead-acid battery and be religious on hooking up a 12v battery tender, preferably whenever you charge your main traction battery. Some have even hooked up a quick connector for the 12v battery which they run under the charge port, plug in the J1772 and plug in the 12v battery tender, easy peasy.

chandfigi: posting your location in your signature is helpful. If you're living in a hot area, 12v batteries suffer, although I agree 2.5 years is brief.

Check on your door jamb, note your date of manufacture. Your car may be closer to 3 years old.

From his username I'd guess Fiji? if so ya, probably warm there :D
Wow! just Googled Fiji and they are literally in the middle of the Indian ocean(or maybe South Pacific Ocean?) and wow, it looks beautiful :cool:

Back