2013 "S" Type come with Bluetooth Audio Streaming?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jpadc, thanks for the info.

Re Bluetooth website: It doesn't sound like you actually entered a vehicle/phone combo. If you do so, and hit 'search', I think you'll see what we mean. The compatibility page that comes up doesn't just imply audio streaming, it says it explicitly. It lists compatibility for two features ('Wireless Audio Streaming' and 'Audio Playback Control'), and the tooltips for these features further clarify that they refer to wireless music streaming from your device via bluetooth.

Re the owners manual: I agree that it is weird how the 'FM-AM-SAT Radio...' subsection within the 'Audio Systems (models without Navigation System)' section also has the 'models without navigation system' parentheses. However, other subsections in this section that don't have the parentheses (USB, iPod, steering wheel controls, antenna,...) are in the S model - which means that the parentheses definitely aren't being used to specify which features are/are not in models without Nav systems. In fact, unless I'm missing something, it looks like every single feature in this section is on the S except for BT Audio.

Re advertising:
1. I think it is important to note that Nissan doesn't mention streaming audio for any model when you compare specs on their website (http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/versions-specs/). They mention Handsfree Bluetooth Phone for the 'S' and then each other trim says it has everything the one before it has. This strongly implies that they all have the same Bluetooth functionality.

2. This is 2015, not 2005. Good luck finding a BT device that doesn't support A2DP - it has become standard. So when you plaster a big fat 'Bluetooth' logo directly above a stereo system (like in the 2015 S model), I think anyone could be excused for interpreting that as the stereo system supporting BT audio (i.e. A2DP). Who would look at it and think "oh, that probably refers to the buttons way over here on the steering wheel, where there isn't a BT logo, not to the stereo"?

Sorry to be so rant-y, but I'm really frustrated by this (and with Nissan support that would rather insult and hang up on me than talk about these discrepancies). If anyone else is concerned by this, please speak up!

BanzaiOtis said:
jpadc, thanks for the info.
Re Bluetooth website: It doesn't sound like you actually entered a vehicle/phone combo.
I did not actually click on a phone in the selection before, but I did now. However, if you look at the header column once you click on a phone, it says "Phone Features" not "Car features" - and the phone (e.g, iPhone, Galaxy etc.) does feature audio streaming, just not in the car you want it to.

EDIT - I see now the "Computability column for "Wireless Streaming" has a Y in it and that is, as they say, a false statement! Why is there no "With Navigation" option in the Menu for the 2015 model (there is for the 2013. The information about wireless streaming is correct there for thr 2013 model.

BanzaiOtis said:
Sorry to be so rant-y, but I'm really frustrated by this (and with Nissan support that would rather insult and hang up on me than talk about these discrepancies).
Please don't misunderstand me, I agree that Nissan has done a terrible job of telling potential customers that if they want audio streaming, the S will not do that - and for that I understand the rant.

Where I disagree is that given NO STATE requires audio streaming, but several states in the US (e.g., Illinois) do require all phone call use while driving to be "hands free," it does makes sense (even in 2015) for car manufacturers to offer Bluetooth for telephone use (because they have to) but not audio streaming as it is necessary to comply with crazy state laws.

EDIT - Also note the Bluetooth in licensed technology. For every protocol that every device supports, the manufacturer pays a license / certification fee. More certifications cost more. The Bluetooth logo on a device cannot mean which ones of the over 35 profiles and 15 protocols it supports - just that at least one has been certified. Apple, for example, never implemented the Object Push Profile (OPP) in any iPhone despite for years it being the way most car manufactures were doing contact lists for hands-free telephone use. You could talk on the phone, but not even copy over your contacts.

Finally, go sit in a LEAF with Bluetooth Audio Streaming and try to listen to music that you like on your phone and then do it again with a cable. If you do, you won't be so angry about not having it. Even in the best implementations, its not as good as a cable. - It won't fix the anger an Nissan and the fact that most sales people don't know anything about the products they sell (which seems to extend to the website now) - but that anger is, as I said more justified.

jpadc,

Thanks for verifying the bluetooth website issue.

Those are some interesting points about BT laws and costs. Admittedly, this is a subjective thing - it comes down to how a person could reasonably be expected to interpret something. I think putting the BT logo directly next to the audio controls, instead of next to the phone controls, strongly implies that there is BT audio. It's deceptive - intentionally or otherwise. Similarly, regardless of state law, the common interpretation of "Bluetooth" includes audio these days (imo), and Nissan has an ethical obligation to present its product in a way that will be interpreted correctly by the average consumer.

I know, this is subjective too, but it sucks to see Nissan engaging in this kind of grey-area advertising. Of course, the bigger issue here is where they have explicitly put something false in writing.

Also, I traded in my 2011 Leaf for this new one, so I've had the BT audio. Worked fine for me. Maybe the audio wasn't quite as good (I never noticed), but there is also the convenience factor to consider. And not all listening is music that requires high quality (e.g. podcasts, books on tape, etc).

Well darn. I just picked up a 2013 and assumed this very thing. Still wouldnt have changed my mind on purchasing though. But the bluetooth streaming makes get in and go fun. No one is expecting great audio out of the leaf so quality on aux cable vs bluetooth isn't a factor. Well next car I'll check the specs closer. At 10k$ used it's still a good deal for my city transport needs.
:D
BanzaiOtis said:
jpadc,

Thanks for verifying the bluetooth website issue.

Those are some interesting points about BT laws and costs. Admittedly, this is a subjective thing - it comes down to how a person could reasonably be expected to interpret something. I think putting the BT logo directly next to the audio controls, instead of next to the phone controls, strongly implies that there is BT audio. It's deceptive - intentionally or otherwise. Similarly, regardless of state law, the common interpretation of "Bluetooth" includes audio these days (imo), and Nissan has an ethical obligation to present its product in a way that will be interpreted correctly by the average consumer.

I know, this is subjective too, but it sucks to see Nissan engaging in this kind of grey-area advertising. Of course, the bigger issue here is where they have explicitly put something false in writing.

Also, I traded in my 2011 Leaf for this new one, so I've had the BT audio. Worked fine for me. Maybe the audio wasn't quite as good (I never noticed), but there is also the convenience factor to consider. And not all listening is music that requires high quality (e.g. podcasts, books on tape, etc).

Back