2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dexion11 said:
so not so good. Nearly 4000 miles. 4.4 average mpkwh. Normally kept at 50% soc since I only drive on the weekends. I charge it before leaving then go. 8 months old built 9.5 months ago. Nearly ready to drop a bar. Best I ever saw was 92% soh. Hx has seemed to have gone to heck as well. Mostly parked outiside.

3900 miles
53.76 ah (best was 59.xx)
Soh 86 (best was 92)
Hx 79.32
32 qc 101 l1/2

Ive run it down to 6% and charged level 2. Seemed to get worse. My 2013 I never lost a bar in two years and 9500 miles. Wonder if I'll be one of the first to lose a bar. I only drive 40 or so miles at a time so im morbidly curious how bad it will get.

The 2015's (or the newer chemistry ) seems to show less Ah the less it's driven.

If you have access to the DC chargers try to quick/fast charge it daily and drive it daily for a week and I bet this AH will rise. If you have no DC charger access then L2 3.3-6.6 Kw is fine but I have noticed that the AH readings rise faster with fast charging.

I would say leaving it at 50% is a good thing if you don't drive it much.

If you do a full charge before you drive it don't set an end timer and allow it to run hours after to make sure the pack is balanced, then check with leaf spy and if it's reporting you got about 20-22 kwh I would say you pack is perfectible healthy. I think leaf spy is unable to correctly determine the Ah of this newer generation battery correctly maybe due to a different BMS ?

Try the above and report back, if you can't then report the Kwh when fully charged, never mind Gids either.

o00scorpion00o said:
I think leaf spy is unable to correctly determine the Ah of this newer generation battery correctly maybe due to a different BMS ?

I may be wrong but my understanding is that LeafSpy is not determining anything, it's just reporting what the BMS claims to be the battery stats. It's possible the BMS in the 2015 is a bit different; perhaps more adaptable to battery conditions, hence willing to move things up and down as conditions demand. But that is just speculation.

Tyger said:
o00scorpion00o said:
I think leaf spy is unable to correctly determine the Ah of this newer generation battery correctly maybe due to a different BMS ?

I may be wrong but my understanding is that LeafSpy is not determining anything, it's just reporting what the BMS claims to be the battery stats. It's possible the BMS in the 2015 is a bit different; perhaps more adaptable to battery conditions, hence willing to move things up and down as conditions demand. But that is just speculation.

You're probably right or maybe leafspy determines what the BMS is reporting incorrectly ? either way, yes, it's all speculation.

I would say though that on a full balanced charge , if leaf spy reports 20-22 Kwh or possibly 18-19 with a very cold battery then , in my opinion the battery is doing good.

I'm actually curious if I will get to 85% and lose a bar. If its bms games where the bms says well you only use 50% of the pack most of the time anyway why give you 95% and increase degradation when I can limit you to the top 85% or whatever it's doing then I should stay at 86% for a long while. I do however have a buddy who bought a leaf same time as me but drives and charges every day. He has 12000 miles in his. I'll leafspy it and see where it is. Climate is the same except he doesn't care about it. Charges to 100% lets it sit and qc all the time when the qc is working. Last time I leaf spied it 3 weeks ago he was at 90% soh or so.

Dexion11 said:
I'm actually curious if I will get to 85% and lose a bar. If its bms games where the bms says well you only use 50% of the pack most of the time anyway why give you 95% and increase degradation when I can limit you to the top 85% or whatever it's doing then I should stay at 86% for a long while. I do however have a buddy who bought a leaf same time as me but drives and charges every day. He has 12000 miles in his. I'll leafspy it and see where it is. Climate is the same except he doesn't care about it. Charges to 100% lets it sit and qc all the time when the qc is working. Last time I leaf spied it 3 weeks ago he was at 90% soh or so.

I suppose to know if the BMS is hiding some Kwh then the way to know this would be to charge fully and see what Kwh it reports, if it's 19-22 kwh depending on the temperature of the battery I would say it's healthy. If it's still reporting 86% health and 53 or so Ah I would say it's more to do with the BMS or leaf spy being unable to determine correctly the health of the battery on the current gen.

Drive it 60-70 mph for a week and use the DC chargers as much as you can and I bet you will find the reported figures rise, this will be interesting if you could do it.

Of course if you still get 110-130 Kms at 60-65 odd mph in reasonable weather conditions I would say the battery is doing fine.

Ok so I did my buddies leaf. Same year same age, works same place as I do as well. The difference is he drives and charges ever day and usually uses 65% of his battery when new now is using about 80%. He charges quick charge or level 2 6.6. He has 11,500 miles or about 3 times what I do in the last 8 months.

He isn't doing much better

ah- 54.25
soc 87%
hx 81.2
136 qc 187 level2
11439 miles

so...yeah heh

Dexion11 said:
Ok so I did my buddies leaf. Same year same age, works same place as I do as well. The difference is he drives and charges ever day and usually uses 65% of his battery when new now is using about 80%. He charges quick charge or level 2 6.6. He has 11,500 miles or about 3 times what I do in the last 8 months.

He isn't doing much better

ah- 54.25
soc 87%
hx 81.2
136 qc 187 level2
11439 miles

so...yeah heh

You know, I failed to notice your location, Phoenix is a hot place right ? much hotter than here obviously. So this must have an impact.

Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

I do it sits between 40 and 50% during the week I charge Friday night and time it to be done when I need the car for Saturday.
Yes its hot. I rid a bike (pedal) to work all year so the car sits mostly.

thing is I had a 2013 before this (but no leafspy) and didn't lose a bar in 2 years and about 10K miles which I didn't drive much and kept at 50% as well.

If the 2013 didn't loose a capacity bar I wouldn't worry about the 2015 in the same time/miles.

There does seem to be a difference in the way the 2015's report the battery capacity.

On your next 100% charge with no end timer set, record the kwh, and note the battery temp, I'm curious to see. I have a good feeling it will report at least 21 kwh if the battery is reasonably warm. If it does then I would say it;s doing good !

Of course the only real way to know is to drive it 100% until it stops and record the kwh used and the distance traveled.

Stats are now around the lowest ever but have stabilized. One thing I thought of since I don't drive it as often as most and still have a high SOH is that the car is reserving the capacity for real future degradation.
The temps haven't been that cold compared to many others but could it be the ratio of hot temp to cold temp that makes the capacity less and not the actual cold temp (90 to 60 vs. 60 to 30)? Just some thoughts.

QTIZi2J.jpg

O2aGq6k.jpg

Anybody feel free to use my data. Add it to your charts for comparison.

I bet if you drove the crap out of it for 2 weeks and fast charged it to death those figures would climb, I bet even after a week of heavy use you would see a difference !

At that mileage perhaps an electric bike would suit better ? :mrgreen:

o00scorpion00o said:
I bet if you drove the crap out of it for 2 weeks and fast charged it to death those figures would climb, I bet even after a week of heavy use you would see a difference !

Then again you're also in a much warmer climate than I am so this could very well be normal degradation for your location.

Dexion11 said:
I need a car in case of an emergency for my job. Otherwise I have a bike. Or shopping etc. Its a waste but it can happen.

Zero motorcycles make some seriously good bikes, and you live in a good climate for bikes. :D

The good side of your low mileage is that leasing should be dirt cheap ! ;)

o00scorpion00o said:

I will try to start driving more. It's hard to just go and drive nowhere.

I use the Leaf for 99% of my driving so I need the passenger and cargo space. I thought about getting a bike (gas) prior to getting the Leaf but went with the Leaf.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
o00scorpion00o said:

I will try to start driving more. It's hard to just go and drive nowhere.

I use the Leaf for 99% of my driving so I need the passenger and cargo space. I thought about getting a bike (gas) prior to getting the Leaf but went with the Leaf.

I'm sure you could take a spin around somewhere to add some miles, you need to use it daily if you can and charge daily. If you got access to a DC charger then use it as much as you can for a week or two.

How come you do such little mileage ? do you take public transport ?

My gids are back at 284 this morning and Ah up at 65.8. Health 99 % but I expect this to go back to 100% soon.

o00scorpion00o said:
I'm sure you could take a spin around somewhere to add some miles, you need to use it daily if you can and charge daily. If you got access to a DC charger then use it as much as you can for a week or two.

My gids are back at 284 this morning and Ah up at 65.8. Health 99 % but I expect this to go back to 100% soon.
My commute is very short. I drive the Leaf at least 2-3 times per day but just not enough miles.

I've been trying to go drive the freeway for 10-15 miles to use up as much battery as possible in the shortest time possible. I don't think I'd be able to drive enough on the weekdays to charge daily though. I do have a DCQC nearby, unfortunately not the most reliable. Do you think 5-10 mins would be enough? Aim for the middle capacity? (40-70%)

LeafMuranoDriver said:
o00scorpion00o said:

My commute is very short. I drive the Leaf at least 2-3 times per day but just not enough miles.

I've been trying to go drive the freeway for 10-15 miles to use up as much battery as possible in the shortest time possible. I don't think I'd be able to drive enough on the weekdays to charge daily though. I do have a DCQC nearby, unfortunately not the most reliable. Do you think 5-10 mins would be enough? Aim for the middle capacity? (40-70%)

Any DC charging might help but I notice the more you use the battery the quicker the Ah, health and gid numbers increase.

It is possible though any decreased numbers you are seeing are due to the climate in your area. But try to charge to 100% and don;t set an end timer, give the cells time to balance and if you're getting 20-22 kwh I would say your battery is fine.

If at 60 odd mph and you get 75 miles I would also say you are doing ok.

My kwh reported the other morning was 22 Kwh, not bad after nearly 17,000 miles and nearly a year !

o00scorpion00o said:
Any DC charging might help but I notice the more you use the battery the quicker the Ah, health and gid numbers increase.

It is possible though any decreased numbers you are seeing are due to the climate in your area. But try to charge to 100% and don;t set an end timer, give the cells time to balance and if you're getting 20-22 kwh I would say your battery is fine.

If at 60 odd mph and you get 75 miles I would also say you are doing ok.

My kwh reported the other morning was 22 Kwh, not bad after nearly 17,000 miles and nearly a year !
I think regular L2 and even L1 will help increase as long as you put the miles on it. Saturday morning my AHr was 55.02, drove 70 miles, it went back to 55.16, charged on L1, drove another 50 miles Sunday, and now today charged to 100% and am at 55.4 AHr and 262 GIDs. Already going up.

I will try to drive at least 20-40 miles per day (more if I can) instead of 5-15 I've been averaging and see what happens.

The climate hasn't been that cold though, at least compared to other areas but the difference between the highest temp to the lowest temp is probably about the same as other areas. I wonder if the ratio from high to low makes the difference or if it's just plain cold weather that matters.

Back