2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeafMuranoDriver said:
My kwh reported the other morning was 22 Kwh, not bad after nearly 17,000 miles and nearly a year !
I think regular L2 and even L1 will help increase as long as you put the miles on it. Saturday morning my AHr was 55.02, drove 70 miles, it went back to 55.16, charged on L1, drove another 50 miles Sunday, and now today charged to 100% and am at 55.4 AHr and 262 GIDs. Already going up.

I will try to drive at least 20-40 miles per day (more if I can) instead of 5-15 I've been averaging and see what happens.

The climate hasn't been that cold though, at least compared to other areas but the difference between the highest temp to the lowest temp is probably about the same as other areas. I wonder if the ratio from high to low makes the difference or if it's just plain cold weather that matters.[/quote]

What is your Kwh as reported by leafspy ? I think this is more important to be honest.

o00scorpion00o said:
What is your Kwh as reported by leafspy ? I think this is more important to be honest.
Yesterday it was 20.2 kWh but has been as low as 20.1 kWh.

I think AHr is just as important. Yesterday morning it was 55.47, drove 35 miles during the day and today it's 55.58. (it was just 55.02 3 days ago)

35 miles (mostly freeway) used up 62% of the battery so I will charge again today. I'm going to test driving/charging as much as possible this week and maybe next week go back to normal driving and see what happens.

I even thought about just leaving the car on and running the heater throughout the day and/or night to use up battery so I don't have to put as many miles on it. It's probably not much but at least I would be able to put less miles on it. Is this okay to do?

Drove 40 miles yesterday and AHr is up to 56.02 now. It's climbing!! (at least you can check AHr at any time without charging to 100%)

I don't really like the idea of putting extra miles on the car to solely improve the battery capacity. I think I'll start a thread about using the battery without actually driving and see what others think.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Drove 40 miles yesterday and AHr is up to 56.02 now. It's climbing!! (at least you can check AHr at any time without charging to 100%)

I don't really like the idea of putting extra miles on the car to solely improve the battery capacity. I think I'll start a thread about using the battery without actually driving and see what others think.

Do a full 100% charge without end timer and leave it several hours to balance then get the Kw reading from leafspy.

This is more interesting.

o00scorpion00o said:
Do a full 100% charge without end timer and leave it several hours to balance then get the Kw reading from leafspy.

98% of the time I charge, I do not use a timer and let it go to 100% and it sits for around 0.5 to 1.5 hours before I drive it. Most L2 charges, even after letting it go to 100% and letting it sit for a little while, I see mostly red on the 1st screen of LeafSpy.

After a full charge yesterday - AHr @ 55.84, GIDs @ 262, kWh @ 20.3

Today AHr is up to 56.70

Using and charging daily is definitely restoring some capacity.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
o00scorpion00o said:

98% of the time I charge, I do not use a timer and let it go to 100% and it sits for around 0.5 to 1.5 hours before I drive it. Most L2 charges, even after letting it go to 100% and letting it sit for a little while, I see mostly red on the 1st screen of LeafSpy.

After a full charge yesterday - AHr @ 55.84, GIDs @ 262, kWh @ 20.3

Today AHr is up to 56.70

Using and charging daily is definitely restoring some capacity.

Yeah it's strange with this Gen battery.

20.3 kwh is about something like 8% down on what I get, though mine varies between 21-22 Kwh.

It's hard to know if there is actually a loss with your battery.

It will be interesting to see if it climbs up to at least 21 Kwh.

Most recent numbers 21,713 miles.

271 Gids
21.00 KWH
97.2% SOC
86.91% SOH
88.15 HX
57.59 Ahr
60 degrees.

Ticking back up a bit since last week's 265.

Stats are climbing back every day now since driving more. The chart based on time really shows it. I charge exactly the same as I did when the stats were dropping.

In 3 weeks...
GID's up 5.1%
AHr up 4.9%
kWh up 4.9%
Hx up 6.5%

I really think cycling the battery is good for it. Driving and charging daily is the key.

Blue is where I was at the lowest. Green is when I started to drive more, red is when I tried to use the heater instead of driving, then I went back to driving.

I'm going to keep driving more each day and even try to QC.

i9CuJnl.jpg

9idkrAt.jpg
Mmee3rw.jpg

LeafMuranoDriver said:
...I really think cycling the battery is good for it. Driving and charging daily is the key...
While cycling the battery may help the controller to be better able to measure battery parameters, that doesn't mean that it is "good for it". Li-ion battery research suggests otherwise.

Don't get too hung up on the numbers.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
I really think cycling the battery is good for it. Driving and charging daily is the key.
All you're doing is causing the lithium battery controller to think the pack has more capacity, not actually increasing capacity.

If it makes you feel better, keep on doing it, but in reality QC and more cycling of the battery only causes more capacity loss.

If you want to maximize battery life there are a few ways to do it:

1. Keep the battery as cool as possible.
2. Limit maximum power into and out of the pack (more power also heats up the pack more, see #1) by driving efficiently and avoiding QC.
3. Try to keep the pack at a low average state of charge. Target 25-30% as your minimum SOC and charge up as high as needed to finish your day back at that percentage before charging again.

Your battery stats may look lower at first, but it's pretty clear that the stats can't be relied upon for very much accuracy on the '13+ LEAF.

Edit: dpgcolorado said the same thing while I was typing this.

LeafMuranoDriver said:

After reading the many threads on this forum about battery capacity changes, you'll find that your data
are at the 'noise' level. It's great, though, that you've become interested in monitoring the Leaf's battery
capacity changes like many of us on this forum.

My '13 Leaf at 27K miles has lost about 10% of its original capacity, i.e. presently at 54 Ahr.

I'm actually finding this data very interesting. Now that I've got a (new) lizard battery pack, I'm considering keeping some battery stats. Not quite as frequently as some, but maybe taking a pic of my LeafDD screen once a month or so.

I think LeafMuranoDriver was trying to see his numbers climb the same as what I have observed rather than believe it's actually good for the battery.

As I keep saying, if leafspy is reporting 20-22 Kwh depending on temps on a full balanced charge I wouldn't worry about it.

We all know by now the U.K taxi leaf with just over 100,000 miles and a 8% loss in capacity and still all 12 bars. So I think this battery Gen is proving very reliable, and he fast charged it to death with over 5,500 DC and I think 7000 and something L2.

It's hard to know if that is an actual 8% loss of capacity or not but it's still more than usable but i wonder if it wasn't fast charged so much if it would have lost less reported capacity ?

I probably wouldn't leave it at 100% or over 80% all day every day , especially in a hot climate and I certainly don't drive my leaf easy with a reported 18 Kwh/100 Kms, god only knows what that is in miles/Kwh ??

I wouldn't be arsed babying the leaf, then again I will be flogging it after the lease for the 300+ Km Leaf in 2018. One thing I wouldn't do though is keep it at a very SOC. This battery is proving to be a lot more reliable, I wonder how it will do after 8 years but in my part of the planet I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the 2013+ leaf. Far better car than those Crap dirty Diesel boxes Europeans drive around in with their crap torque band !

I'm trying to do what I can to get the capacity up and it's working. A typical Leaf driver probably drives about what I'm driving now so what's the big deal?

Stats from today... (% up from my lowest)

GIDs - 277 (+6.5%)
kWh - 21.5 (+6.5%)
AHr - 58.78 (+6.4%)
Hx - 90.52% (+8.5%)
SOH - 99% (no change)

lorenfb said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
After reading the many threads on this forum about battery capacity changes, you'll find that your data are at the 'noise' level.

My '13 Leaf at 27K miles has lost about 10% of its original capacity, i.e. presently at 54 Ahr.
I'm not so sure. I haven't seen any other '15 have this much lower usable capacity. 13% lower is a lot!! It's only been driven for 8 months and 5k miles. I'd be happy with 10% loss at 27k miles and 2+ years.

The kwh reading of 21.5 is good. I wouldn't really worry about the rest of the figures, I would imaging the capacity and health of the battery are fine. Probably what's happening is maybe the BMS is learning the health through charge and discharge cycles.

I would say that now you have done your test and the numbers are rising that there is nothing to be concerned about and driving for the sake of it now would be rather useless if those trips are not necessary.

I am finding in Arizona that the lizard batteries lack of durability is the same as the 2011 battery. I suspect that the every ones durability will be identical to what batteries of the past were for their given area considered home. Meaning: They aren't any better!

Really enjoying this thread, lots of good back and forth and some good info for a Leaf / EV novice like me. So thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge! Now, FWiW, on to my battery stats for the month.

2015 Leaf S w/QC; in service Dec 2014
Stats taken this morning, 12/30/15
Mileage. 11,435
Gids. 278
KWh. 21.5
SOC. 97.2
SOH 95
Hx. 91.11
Avg Temp. 71.0
# QCs. 34
GOM at full. 102 miles

The car is driven almost every day and we typically put almost 1000 miles a month on it. Don't charge every night but when we do we just leave it plugged in (L1) until it reaches 100% or we need to go, whichever comes first. I took these readings within 5 minutes of unplugging as I normally do, but based on some posts it appears I should wait an hour or two to let the pack balance. Will do that next time and see if results are any different.

It will be interesting to see how the battery is doing 2 years from now when my lease is up. That, along with how much NMAC is willing to reduce my residual, will go a long way in helping me decide if I buy it or just turn it in. I'm hoping with all the EVs due out by Dec. 2017 this car's market value will be so little that NMAC is willing to bend over to get me to buy it. :)

Back