Acceleration from 0 to 60

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you that think the Leaf is too heavy at between 3300 and 3600 lbs, what do you say about the Volt's 3900 lb tally for a 4-seat car?

AndyH said:
Those of you that think the Leaf is too heavy at between 3300 and 3600 lbs, what do you say about the Volt's 3900 lb tally for a 4-seat car?

That makes sense for the pack size plus all ice components but it still makes no sense. Auto makers will soon learn what Think was smart to adhere to from the beginning. I expect Toyota to do better in some models.

Well, I of course would love to reduce weight but who has time for the gym?

Oh, sorry. Anyway, IMHO we live simply in the wrong decade. I would love it if my car could be constructed in full carbon microfibers and diamond electronic components, but that stuff is infinitely too expensive today. In Ford's day it's like saying you want suspension and aerodynamic engineering; it could have been done but the Model-T was an every-man car and you couldn't jack up the price for stuff most people wouldn't realize they might eventually take for granted. Right now, the LEAF is like the Model-T of EVs. It'll take time before those efficiencies can be cheaply mass-produced and become standard. In the mean time, you have 2 choices: bite the bullet and be an early adapter now, taking advantage of all the incentives only available to the early adapter, or hold out, wait for the design to become standardized and streamlined and be the 10,000,000 EV buyer instead of in the first 100,000.

TimeHorse said:
Well, I of course would love to reduce weight but who has time for the gym?

Oh, sorry. Anyway, IMHO we live simply in the wrong decade. I would love it if my car could be constructed in full carbon microfibers and diamond electronic components, but that stuff is infinitely too expensive today. In Ford's day it's like saying you want suspension and aerodynamic engineering; it could have been done but the Model-T was an every-man car and you couldn't jack up the price for stuff most people wouldn't realize they might eventually take for granted. Right now, the LEAF is like the Model-T of EVs. It'll take time before those efficiencies can be cheaply mass-produced and become standard. In the mean time, you have 2 choices: bite the bullet and be an early adapter now, taking advantage of all the incentives only available to the early adapter, or hold out, wait for the design to become standardized and streamlined and be the 10,000,000 EV buyer instead of in the first 100,000.

The 1999 Think had an aluminum top frame, not too exotic. The weight is likely from a large motor and steel FRAME reinforcement to what would otherwise be a unibody ICE vehicle due to the opening in the bottom which is a critical structural part of any unibody car. Exotic materials are not needed to keep and EV in a reasonable weight range VS a bit too heavy. I will be interested to see the final number and weight of the components.

EVDRIVER said:
The 1999 Think had an aluminum top frame, not too exotic. The weight is likely from a large motor and steel FRAME reinforcement to what would otherwise be a unibody ICE vehicle due to the opening in the bottom which is a critical structural part of any unibody car. Exotic materials are not needed to keep and EV in a reasonable weight range VS a bit too heavy. I will be interested to see the final number and weight of the components.

I get your point but I'm not sure you're unibody comment is correct. My unibody VWs back to 1977 don't look much different from the underside of the Leaf.

Additionally, while the battery box could have been designed with a flange around the perimeter and could have been hung with about 50 bolts and thus be part of the structure, it appears that the battery box simply hangs in place with hooks on one side and a couple of bolts on the other.

I don't see signs that the unibody is either stronger or weaker than necessary, and don't see any signs that the battery box is structural.

AndyH said:
EVDRIVER said:

I get your point but I'm not sure you're unibody comment is correct. My unibody VWs back to 1977 don't look much different from the underside of the Leaf.

Additionally, while the battery box could have been designed with a flange around the perimeter and could have been hung with about 50 bolts and thus be part of the structure, it appears that the battery box simply hangs in place with hooks on one side and a couple of bolts on the other.

I don't see signs that the unibody is either stronger or weaker than necessary, and don't see any signs that the battery box is structural.

We shall see soon, I bet there is more steel reinforcement then you may think. If not the motor is a beast or the weight is lower than stated. Something does not add up properly.

I find it amazing that we do not have a official 0-60 times on the Leaf (non ECO mode)..Its the fastest Nissan ever produced going 0-30 mph,the GTR does 0-60 in 3.5 sec..
Out of all the video's that I have watched,one sales lady says its the fastest NIssan going 0-30 mph ever produced and it beats a GTR (WOW) The other video I guess has 4 people in it and are pulling out of a parking lot and floored it in ECO mode :lol: ..
I have read that this car does 0-60 in 5+ seconds 6+,7,8,9,10,11,12 seconds :roll: I wonder if we will have to wait untill December to find out..

mark13 said:
I find it amazing that we do not have a official 0-60 times on the Leaf (non ECO mode)..Its the fastest Nissan ever produced going 0-30 mph,the GTR does 0-60 in 3.5 sec..
Out of all the video's that I have watched,one sales lady says its the fastest NIssan going 0-30 mph ever produced and it beats a GTR (WOW) The other video I guess has 4 people in it and are pulling out of a parking lot and floored it in ECO mode :lol: ..
I have read that this car does 0-60 in 5+ seconds 6+,7,8,9,10,11,12 seconds :roll: I wonder if we will have to wait untill December to find out..
You're right, nothing official from Nissan. However, we've looked enough youtube videos and read enough articles to know it's 0-60 is just under 10 sec and it's top speed is actually 98mph (unless they change the S/W before launch).

I'm amazed that the eco-concious posters who seem to predominate on this web site (my apologies, mark, if you're not one of them) even care to mention 0-60 times, being more concerned with getting from 0 to 60 on the fewest electrons. I guess there's a bit of the dragster fan in all of us. :)

mark13 said:
I find it amazing that we do not have a official 0-60 times on the Leaf (non ECO mode)..

Yodrak said:
I'm amazed that the eco-concious posters who seem to predominate on this web site (my apologies, mark, if you're not one of them) even care to mention 0-60 times, being more concerned with getting from 0 to 60 on the fewest electrons. I guess there's a bit of the dragster fan in all of us. :)

mark13 said:
I find it amazing that we do not have a official 0-60 times on the Leaf (non ECO mode)..
Yes when lumbering around in my truck I cannot believe these hot rod Prius owners jumping on the throttle and weaving through traffic. :roll:

Yes Im buying the Leaf for its greenlyness :) but then I saw the video where the lady says the Leaf is faster then GTR going 0-30 and I said wow, time to google and Utube and see if this is true that the Leaf is really a dragster disguised as a family electric car :lol: This just puts more excitement into owning a Leaf...

Tesla went a long way to dispel the golf cart image of electric cars. With the LEAFs high torque, no doubt it will be fun to drive. There's rumors of a roadster based on the LEAF. Can you imagine a light weight carbon fiber roadster with a larger motor and the same pack... :mrgreen:

The recent Motor Trend article shows a Nissan factory claim of 11.5 seconds for 0-60 mph (specifications, page 3).

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1009_2011_nissan_leaf_second_opinion/index.html

I'm a bit disappointed. This is about a second slower than the current Prius. I for one was hoping for a bit more zippiness due to the torque of the electric motor.

I'm sure it will feel faster, though.

Boomer23 said:
The recent Motor Trend article shows a Nissan factory claim of 11.5 seconds for 0-60 mph (specifications, page 3).

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1009_2011_nissan_leaf_second_opinion/index.html

I'm a bit disappointed. This is about a second slower than the current Prius. I for one was hoping for a bit more zippiness due to the torque of the electric motor.

I'm sure it will feel faster, though.

Hmmm, earlier we constantly heard just under 10 secs. I will bet it will take a Prius off the line. ;) Maybe that 11.5 is in ECO mode, then I would believe it.

Eco mode is irrelevant because it is the same output when floored as per Nissan. I bet the 0-60 is closer to a real world 12 seconds. The car weighs 3600 lbs and has an 80 kw motor, no surprise here, there is torque to a point and it was set up to carry the weight but the HP rating is quite low. 0-30 should be great but this is quite useless.

EVDRIVER said:
Eco mode is irrelevant because it is the same output when floored as per Nissan. I bet the 0-60 is closer to a real world 12 seconds. The car weighs 3600 lbs and has an 80 kw motor, no surprise here, there is torque to a point and it was set up to carry the weight but the HP rating is quite low. 0-30 should be great but this is quite useless.

0-30 is quite useless? :twisted: Not for me because I can't wait to beat all the Priuses and sports cars off the line, so I only need 0-45. I don't know about CA, but here we have a lot of three lane roadways that narrow to two, a hundred feet or so after a traffic light, so this is going to be fun!

Boomer23 said:
Right, it says "11.5 sec (mfr est)", Motor Trend didn't actually time the car. Nissan have also claimed 90 mph top speed. We have video proof of both 98 mph and less than 10 sec 0 - 60 mph. I believe Nissan are trying to under promise and over deliver.

indyflick said:
Boomer23 said:
Right, it says "11.5 sec (mfr est)", Motor Trend didn't actually time the car. Nissan have also claimed 90 mph top speed. We have video proof of both 98 mph and less than 10 sec 0 - 60 mph. I believe Nissan are trying to under promise and over deliver.

Yep, I agree. I also believe the total capacity of the battery pack is going to be bigger than 24Kwh , and we will obtain more than what they say, at least for awhile. After people receive their LEAFs, this board will be full of amazing results.

leaffan said:
indyflick said:
Boomer23 said:

Yep, I agree. I also believe the total capacity of the battery pack is going to be bigger than 24Kwh , and we will obtain more than what they say, at least for awhile. After people receive their LEAFs, this board will be full of amazing results.

I plan on measuring every system and doing a few mods in the future.

Back