Adapter 24kwh to 30kwh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lorenfb said:
sendler2112 said:
Come on you guys. Nissan is replacing 24 packs with 24 packs. Although it is the improved Lizard battery.

Another Nissan USA corporate ops staff member who has access to ALL aspects of USA policy decisions, right?
Most likely have been polling all USA dealers to assure that compliance too, right?

Give me a break, someone disagrees with you so they must be working for Nissan? :roll:

The Klee settlement specifically quantifies the warranty replacement battery as a 24kWh battery of the current model. The 2013 warranty says it only has to repair the battery to 9+ bars equivalent (though they have been replacing batteries, same as with the earlier models). Nissan has zero reason to use 30 kWh batteries as replacements for 24kWh batteries. If you know different, please post the definitive info/thread. Really, I'd love to see they are doing it, since I will have to replace my battery someday.

Firetruck41 said:
RNM said:
Will do Dave.

Sandler, if nissan has done it, it is not impossible.
Show me proof that Nissan has done it. Haven't seen that post yet.

Every 30 kWh Leaf is proof. Nissan didnt design anything from the ground up, it was an adaptation from the 24 kWh.

Besides, an adapter only has to emulated/modify CAN messages from/to the battery, does not involve different battery voltages or power.

Of course they have no desire to replace battery, it´s called planned obsolescence.

Ok, so as I expected, no one has had their dealer "upgrade" their 24kWh Leaf to a 30 kWh pack yet... I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it hasn't.

Of course anything is possible with time and money, someone could put a Tesla drivetrain in a Leaf. If you've seen that done, post the link!

lorenfb said:
Another Nissan USA corporate ops staff member who has access to ALL aspects of USA policy decisions, right?
Most likely have been polling all USA dealers to assure that compliance too, right?
It kind of blows my mind that lorenfb wants everybody else to prove that Nissan isn't doing this, while being completely unwilling to provide evidence (other than "some random Nissan dealership tech told me") that they are doing this.

From the 2CH Japanese Leaf forum, some think retrofit testing is already started.

In the last page of this blog
http://evblog.nissan.co.jp/EV/i/2016/TRY/410.html
Google translate the vehicle: 2015 model year Nissan Leaf (30kWh driving battery-equipped vehicles).

but remember there is always passability of typo error.

RNM said:
Will do Dave.

Sendler, if nissan has done it, it is not impossible.

ok, it was already established long ago that Nissan said it could be done but the cost is prohibitive. So the real question is any DIYer with the skills going to spend their money to make this happen and at what cost?

What is the price of a 30 kwh battery pack?

good question I am thinking since none are needed as replacements yet, I fear Nissan does not even offer them for sale yet...

DaveinOlyWA said:
I fear Nissan does not even offer them for sale yet...

Really? You've been to your local Nissan dealer and asked both the parts department & service, right?

I finally checked it all out and it's an easy mod and the 30kWh pack, BMS, and harness, is even cheaper than a 24kWh battery. I can do the whole thing in my backyard in an afternoon for $5000 exchange if anybody wants one for their worn out early version car. I Just hold up the new pack with one hand while starting the nuts with the other. Simple.

garsh said:
lorenfb said:
It kind of blows my mind that lorenfb wants everybody else to prove that Nissan isn't doing this, while being completely unwilling to provide evidence (other than "some random Nissan dealership tech told me") that they are doing this.
My thoughts exactly.

O.K. Today I visited my other local Nissan SoCal dealer, i.e. Carson Nissan who did my TCU upgrade. Here's what was
additionally obtained:

1. First I spoke with the counter parts person. He was totally unaware, i.e. "Oh, that little 12" x 8" one, right".
At that point I asked for the parts manager, who after a wait, arrived. He indicated that the parts department
does not directly get involved with any battery warranties or customer-pay battery replacements. All of that
is totally processed by the service department.
2. Next I spoke with the lead service writer, with whom I've dealt with on the TCU upgrade. I specifically asked
about both the warranty and the customer-pay replacements. He indicated, as I learned & previously stated,
that both warranty batteries and customer-pay batteries have been with 30 kWh replacements at Carson
Nissan. He outlined the process as:
a. The vehicle must be fully diagnosed by the service department with the report provided to the Nissan Regional
Service (NRS) operation. At that time the local dealer must request either a warranty replacement or a customer-pay
battery.
b. For Carson Nissan, NRS recently has been authorizing 30 kWh batteries for warranty replacements.
Furthermore, that decision is made by NRS only.
c. For Carson Nissan, the customer-pay 30 kWh battery replacements must be approved by NRS. Once the approval
is given, the customer must pay fully in advance with no option to cancel. The dealer parts department does not
become involved at all, but receives the battery and allocates it to the service department. For this type of battery
replacement (30 kWh), Carson Nissan has previously received approval from NRS.

ht2 said:
From the 2CH Japanese Leaf forum, some think retrofit testing is already started.

Google translate the vehicle: 2015 model year Nissan Leaf (30kWh driving battery-equipped vehicles).

Couldn't find any reference to retrofits on the Nissan link you posted. Is this the 2CH forum link you're referring to?

http://karma.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/auto/1481651086/

If so, it seems pretty speculative unless I'm misreading something.

808pv said:
ht2 said:

Couldn't find any reference to retrofits on the Nissan link you posted. Is this the 2CH forum link you're referring to?

http://karma.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/auto/1481651086/

If so, it seems pretty speculative unless I'm misreading something.

Yes, very speculative and you need to read between the lines too.
There is no 30kWh pack for MY2015 Leaf.
If Nissan employee said he is driving 30kWh MY2015 Leaf, only way is retrofit MY2016 30kWh pack to MY2015 Leaf.

Even if testing now, Nissan may not sell to the public because kit is too expensive or marketing decision to sell more new cars not retrofit kit but according to lorenfb Nissan is heading in the right direction.

I suppose I am missing something here,

Months ago users reported that dealers have been willing and able to install the 30 kWh packs into 2015 and older cars at about the same time that Nissan stopped putting them in the new S models. For the 2017 model year we can see this has continued as no new Leaf gets the 24 kWh packs any more. A user reported a few posts back in this thread that he did a meet and greet with the service folks at Carson Nissan and they confirmed that Nissan Regional Service now provides the 30kWh battery for use on the older 24 kWh cars.

So we have had confirmation here from board members that for at least the past business quarter Nissan Dealers have been installing the 30 kWh packs in the 24 kWh cars and now have confirmation from Carson Nissan in Southern California that this is being approved by Nissan Regional Service in the Southern California region at least.

The parts and software have already existed to do this as a Nissan supported solution in the USA for a few months now is what I have gotten from reading posts in this and other threads on this board over the past few months.

RockyNv said:

The parts and software have already existed to do this as a Nissan supported solution in the USA for a few months now is what I have gotten from reading posts in this and other threads on this board over the past few months.
From reading what ONE poster has written versus what many have written. All word of mouth. Unverified on the ground.
All screen shots posted here so far by owners from leafspy of replaced packs so far clearly show that Nissan is supplying 24Kw packs for 24kW cars.

sendler2112 said:
RockyNv said:

From reading what ONE poster has written versus what many have written. All word of mouth. Unverified on the ground.
All screen shots posted here so far by owners from leafspy of replaced packs so far clearly show that Nissan is supplying 24Kw packs for 24kW cars.

Where are these data correlated with the actual date of replacement and what dealer did the replacement?
So please be helpful and summarize it here and not attack posters!

Based on InsideEvs' data for 2016, Nissan sold about 14K units. Assuming a very worst
case U.S. number of Leaf battery warranty replacements of 100 per month, that's 1200
per year. With that new vehicle production rate, why would a U.S. Nissan production/parts
manager request that 24kWh batteries be stocked in the U.S., i.e. no present Leafs use the
24 kWh batteries, for warranties rather than just stocking 30kWh batteries? Surely by now
the production cost for both are not that different. Furthermore, most likely the U.S. warranty
replacements are much less than 100 per month, i.e. 10 to 25 per month for the U.S., which
reduces the likelihood of the 24 kWh being used for warranties even more so.

sendler2112 said:
I finally checked it all out and it's an easy mod and the 30kWh pack, BMS, and harness, is even cheaper than a 24kWh battery. I can do the whole thing in my backyard in an afternoon for $5000 exchange if anybody wants one for their worn out early version car. I Just hold up the new pack with one hand while starting the nuts with the other. Simple.

:lol:

Hey Sendler, I see you also live in Syracuse. When can I bring my Leaf over to your place for the upgrade?

:lol:

RockyNv said:

Months ago users reported that dealers have been willing and able to install the 30 kWh packs into 2015 and older cars at about the same time that Nissan stopped putting them in the new S models. For the 2017 model year we can see this has continued as no new Leaf gets the 24 kWh packs any more. A user reported a few posts back in this thread that he did a meet and greet with the service folks at Carson Nissan and they confirmed that Nissan Regional Service now provides the 30kWh battery for use on the older 24 kWh cars.

So we have had confirmation here from board members that for at least the past business quarter Nissan Dealers have been installing the 30 kWh packs in the 24 kWh cars and now have confirmation from Carson Nissan in Southern California that this is being approved by Nissan Regional Service in the Southern California region at least.

You are missing the fact that there has not yet been anyone that has had a 30 kWh pack placed in a 24 kWh Leaf by a Nissan dealer. There have been claims of it being done, just to find out it was not the case going back probably 6 months, so until someone posts a part number or receipt or Leafspy, most of us remain skeptical. Dealers have claimed they use 30kWh packs for replacement in the past only to find out they meant they use (24 kWh} Lizard packs. If they have been using 30 kWh packs, you can bet that owners in this online community would be the first to demand it, and they would be excited to post the proof... Still waiting on that...

Firetruck41 said:
RockyNv said:

You are missing the fact that there has not yet been anyone that has had a 30 kWh pack placed in a 24 kWh Leaf by a Nissan dealer. There have been claims of it being done, just to find out it was not the case going back probably 6 months, so until someone posts a part number or receipt or Leafspy, most of us remain skeptical. Dealers have claimed they use 30kWh packs for replacement in the past only to find out they meant they use (24 kWh} Lizard packs. If they have been using 30 kWh packs, you can bet that owners in this online community would be the first to demand it, and they would be excited to post the proof... Still waiting on that...

You are missing the fact that there has not yet been anyone that has had a 30 kWh pack placed in a 24 kWh Leaf by a Nissan dealer.

How is it that you can make such an absolute statement as this?

Where're the reports of this? You do have the list provided by Nissan of all the warranty replacements
and the customer-pay upgrades, right? Plus you have compiled all the LeafSpy data to corroborate it, right?
Hopefully, you're not naive enough to assume that all Leaf owners are members of this forum and fully report
on all their warranty work or customer-pay work.

Again, your logic has failed by using a negative proof.

lorenfb said:
Firetruck41 said:
RockyNv said:

You are missing the fact that there has not yet been anyone that has had a 30 kWh pack placed in a 24 kWh Leaf by a Nissan dealer.

How is it that you can make such an absolute statement as this?

Where're the reports of this? You do have the list provided by Nissan of all the warranty replacements
and the customer-pay upgrades, right? Plus you have compiled all the LeafSpy data to corroborate it, right?
Hopefully, you're not naive enough to assume that all Leaf owners are members of this forum and fully report
on all their warranty work or customer-pay work.
No I have not done YOUR homework for your claim, I have not compiled comprehensive information proving that 30kWh batteries have not been used to replace 24kWh batteries. I also have not complied information that 5.7L Titan V8 has not been used as a replacement for the Leaf battery pack and motor, so I guess I must assume that is taking place as well?

Please stop asking others to prove your claim for you.

Of course not all Leaf owners are members of this board, but some of the most knowledgeable are, and many enthusiasts are, and many people that have problems with their Leaf will find their way here as well. I'm sure once (if) this upgrade path becomes available sometime in the future, we will know, definitively, shortly thereafter.

Back