Adapter 24kwh to 30kwh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will definitely report what is installed when my battery gets replaced this spring/summer. I am three bars down and will drop the fourth soon, probably after it gets warm again. I'm sure my dealer will help me get a 30kwh pack, if it is an option. They tried to get the $199 fee waived, yesterday, when they replaced the 3g modem. It was their first modem replacement, and they were as surprised as I was that the parts department actually had a new modem in stock.

If an adapter became available I am sure it would have to be developed by an independent fabricator.
So far the by the reports on this forum, (low capacity) 24 kwh batteries which qualify for warranty have been replaced by Nissan with new (full capacity) 24 Kwh batteries, hopefully with improved chemistry.
It is only a matter of time before we start seeing warranty replacements based on the actual warranty stated in the booklet;
"Any repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage may not return your Lithium-Ion battery to an "as new" condition with all 12 battery capacity bars, but it will provide the vehicle with a capacity level of nine bars or more on the battery capacity level gauge."
It would not make financial sense for Nissan to supply a 30 Kwh battery into a car that was originally 24 Kwh.
The 24 Kwh warranty return batteries should provide Nissan with enough stock material to simply exchange a few cells for new and return them as re manufactured 9 or 10 bar capacity warranty replacements.

ok, we have heard the same thing going on 6+ months of random reports of people getting 30 kwh batteries installed based on what "someone" at the dealership told them and EVERY single time they were wrong.

what makes you think the person you or anyone else talked to knew what he was talking about? Most of them don't know the difference between KW and KWH.

Plus considering the fact that there are several dozen auto industry writers closely following everything automakers do, claim to do or wish to do and immediately reports this I am finding it hard to believe that a "handful" have already received these 30 kwh packs and no one has heard about it.

I also find it strange that one of the greatest advertising tools EVER of upgrading battery packs is something that Nissan has chosen not to talk about... sooooo

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

I just asked the Horses mouth and will see what comes of that and hopefully it will not be in kind with what the esoteric group here many times appears to be dishing out from the other end.

The battery in my 2014 is not loosing bars nor is Leaf Spy showing any real drastic drop so still being at 12 bars I don't expect to be facing battery replacement for quite some time anyways plus the car by following the book for maintenance is currently running perfectly so it is filling my needs. No I won't be doing a Empirical College Level report using Leaf Spy readouts to support my claims of how nice everything is.

If Nissan says yes they do now provide a 30 kWh battery if you ask for it I will leave it at that and not insult them by demanding that they back their statements up with photographic proof and the names of owners who so far have received the 30 kWh packs along with the serial numbers.

Tsiah said:
Everything I have read said the 30kWh battery is not compatible with 24kWh cars.

This is what Nissan wants us to believe. Personally, if the physical dimensions are the same, I have a hard time believing that this "incompatibility" is something that's truly insurmountable. There's just not enough difference between the cars for it to make sense. They even had one model year where some cars had 24 kWh batteries and some had 30s. If the battery was so completely different then it wouldn't have been practical for them to be running the lines with both at the same time.

I think the problem is Nissan doesn't want to improve older cars because they see it as counter productive to selling new cars. Personally, I think this is a mistake. By replacing older batteries with new technology they'd get a lot of positive press for their brand, and develop a lot of loyal customers. Imagine that, buying a car and 5-10 years after purchase it's actually better than when it was new! But that doesn't seem to be the direction they want to go in, so there's no will to figure out any problems involved.

I could be wrong, but one way or another I think that battery upgrades will eventually come to the Leaf, even if only from after market suppliers. With better battery tech maybe we'll eventually see even more than 30 kWh retrofit into the Leaf.

Nagorak said:
I could be wrong, but one way or another I think that battery upgrades will eventually come to the Leaf, even if only from after market suppliers. With better battery tech maybe we'll eventually see even more than 30 kWh retrofit into the Leaf.

It's possible that one positive side effect of the very low resale value of the Leaf is that it will make these sorts of upgrades more economical, especially once the resale value falls into the $3k range or so.

Good points. Hopefully someone figure out a retrofit for larger batteries, that would be sweet to pick one up for $2000-$3000 and a better battery for $3000-$5000 and have a better than new leaf. :lol:

Tsiah said:
Everything I have read said the 30kWh battery is not compatible with 24kWh cars.

not true. Nissan Engineer already admitted it could be done but would require special adapters and none of them exist. so how much money are you going to spend to develop them for a market the size of what? .

I know many will find this hard to believe, but a lot of people are happy with the miniscule range of their degraded 24 kwh LEAFs.

I'm in the market for a "new" used LEAF and found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Nissan...1055c980:g:tkYAAOSw-0xYdUPy&item=232202291584

Seems to good to be true. I suspect it might be a hoax, since the picture doesn't really prove anything. It could have been taken from a new LEAF. He also hints at the cost of the replacement being around 10k, but since the auction is lower than that I'd say he's crazy to sell it for that price. If the listing is legit, some dealerships might be willing to do the upgrade providing you are willing to may more than the standard replacement battery.

sdbmania said:
I'm in the market for a "new" used LEAF and found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Nissan...1055c980:g:tkYAAOSw-0xYdUPy&item=232202291584

Seems to good to be true. I suspect it might be a hoax, since the picture doesn't really prove anything. It could have been taken from a new LEAF. He also hints at the cost of the replacement being around 10k, but since the auction is lower than that I'd say he's crazy to sell it for that price. If the listing is legit, some dealerships might be willing to do the upgrade providing you are willing to may more than the standard replacement battery.
Check info in this thread, might be the same car:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23249

Firetruck41 said:
sdbmania said:

Check info in this thread, might be the same car:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23249

Thanks for the thread. I think it might be the same car, just hasn't updated his listing.

Back