Aerovironment EVSE install information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Fellow Aerovironment users. Has anyone thought about installing an on/off switch for the charging dock to eliminate the wattage draw when not in use?

That had occurred to me, but two things decided me against. The switch would have to be
a double pole rated at 40A, probably expensive and large. And, I live near Seattle, where moss
grows on anything that doesn't move regularly ;), so I think that the bit of heat generated
by the electronics is probably useful for keeping the unit dry.

On the other hand, if you live in an area with frequent electrical storms, a disconnect might
be a good idea.

Mine will be mounted inside a garage, I know its just a few watts, but I HATE leakage. Its just like a dripping faucet. IF you go away for the weekend, or are gone for a long period of time a switch would prevent power being sucked out for no reason. There is a little blurb in the manual regarding power outages and what the unit does. Something about a delay switch to prevent an over use of the grid when power goes back on. not sure if this will be an issue or not.

smkettner said:
Another reason AV should have a 20a unit. A double pole 20a wall switch is readily available.

If I understand, you're wanting a 20 AMP EVSE? I hadn't thought of that. It would take longer to charge
but installation would be simpler and it would still be more than 2x faster than the 120v unit. Good idea.

highcountryrider said:
smkettner said:
Another reason AV should have a 20a unit. A double pole 20a wall switch is readily available.

If I understand, you're wanting a 20 AMP EVSE? I hadn't thought of that. It would take longer to charge
but installation would be simpler and it would still be more than 2x faster than the 120v unit. Good idea.

You can convert the Nissan 120V unit to be universal 120/240V and the issue is solved. It also has low parasitic draw. www.evseupgrade.com

I am at the point where I can order my Leaf, but haven't had my home assessment yet. I don't mind paying $100 for the assessment, but I want to be sure that I still want the Leaf. I am in Florida, and am going to look for a car to test drive.

Any other suggestions at this point?

TIA :?:

Ormond said:
I am at the point where I can order my Leaf, but haven't had my home assessment yet. I don't mind paying $100 for the assessment, but I want to be sure that I still want the Leaf. I am in Florida, and am going to look for a car to test drive.

Any other suggestions at this point?

TIA :?:

Unlike other people, I didn't really mind paying the $100 for the assessment, although maybe it's worth reading some of the other posts on how to "get out of it". But it is also serving some other functions for Nissan, such as making sure people ordering the car actually have a dedicated parking space where they can recharge their car.
However, as you may know, the AV installations are not really very competitive, price wise. Even a simple installation is over $2k; AV is looking to make about $1k in profit over what it would cost you to go out and buy a good charger and pay an electrician to install it for you. So unless you really value the convenience of having AV do the work for you and not having to find an electrician, many people have either make their own installation arrangements, or just use the L1 charger that comes with the car if they have a shorter commute (the latter is true in my case.)

- Bob

You can find out what AV will charge without having to pay the $100 fee. Just ask an electrician to put a 40a circuit at the spot you want the charging unit to hang on the wall. Then triple the price of the estimate for approximately what AV will charge for the same work. And the AV minimum is about $1,100 even if the 40 amp circuit is prewired and inspected in advance at the time of constructing your home.

My question on all things AV is why? Why even consider this unit when a modified Nissan EVSE is actually built better, the Nissan Panasonic unit is very high quality, much better then AV. Secondly, one can install their own circuit or hire an electrician at a far more reasonable rate and install the proper outlet that can be used on any EVSE or a modified Nissan Unit or any future EVSE if wired properly. I still don't get why anyone would consider AV after some basic research but then again I'm sure someone will order another EV Charge America EVSE even after reading all the posts on them, it keeps happening. Don't be fooled by hype and fear out there. I had an EV assessment because I was pre-wired and I was told I would have an adjusted low rate, that was false and I got my money back.

Venk said:
Hello Fellow Aerovironment users. Has anyone thought about installing an on/off switch for the charging dock to eliminate the wattage draw when not in use?
Can't you just flip the breaker?

shay said:
Venk said:
Can't you just flip the breaker?

You could waste your time doing that and also wearing it out as it is not designed for high duty. Just leave it be and find other areas to save a few watts, this is silly.

here is my quote..

the electrician came to my house say this should be low 1700.
I wasted 100$ for nothing.. hope none of you in the future will do the same.
Stop waiting your money on AV assessment. go to SPX Power Xpress or EVSE Upgrade

here are the links
https://www.homecharging.spx.com/volt/Display.aspx?id=25&menu=13
http://evseupgrade.com/styled/?

standard installation 1,296.68
charging dock, wall mount 25' cable 721.12
installation permit and processing 420.00
shipping and delivery 49.95
sales tax US$67.47
Total US$2,555.22

beside the point of highway robbery.. if you feel you have too much money and need to waste it..feel free to just give them to me.

smkettner said:
You can find out what AV will charge without having to pay the $100 fee. Just ask an electrician to put a 40a circuit at the spot you want the charging unit to hang on the wall. Then triple the price of the estimate for approximately what AV will charge for the same work. And the AV minimum is about $1,100 even if the 40 amp circuit is prewired and inspected in advance at the time of constructing your home.

FYI, Just got an email from the today from AV confirming what others had posted about AV's installed cost
Quote:

"The standard cost for an installation is roughly about $2200. There are also benefits to using AeroVironment's installation services, including:
3 Year full on-site warranty vs 3 year parts only return to Monrovia, CA (for charging dock alone)
Certified trained electricians will do the job the right way the first time.
Installation that complies with all safety and regulations applicable to your location.
We handle pulling all required permits.
Fully tested charger using AV proprietary service tool, knowing the unit will work before the car is delivered.
Face to face tutorial and informative "How-to" training.
Peace of mind from knowing a reputable, long-standing leader and pioneer in this industry is 100% behind the installation and the product.[/list]
Note that if you do opt to go with an AV installation the $100 home assessment fee is credited back to the cost of the installation. If you would like to proceed with purchasing the dock alone, please let me know so that I may enable your account. The price for this unit is $995, plus shipping ($49.95) and tax.

Thank you again for your inquiry. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at any time."

I picked up an AV unit at a good price (its being shipped to me now)

I have an electrician at m house and he has roughed in a wire to the exterior of my garage( I park outside and wanted the AV unit so its weatherproof and safe)

My question is , does the AV unit have a knockout so the wire can enter in the back and be hidden , I am going to surface mout it to the siding and right now the wire is just sticking out the wall. can I knock out our drill out a hole in the back of the AV unit and have the wire enter that way and make the connections.?

thanks , maybe I can find some pictures or the manual?

kmp647 said:
My question is , does the AV unit have a knockout so the wire can enter in the back and be hidden ?
yes
evse_05_innards_lg.jpg

Does anyone know the max current/amps capacity of this charger? I know the current Leaf is limited to 3.3kW onboard charger, but want to know if the SPX 32A charger for $750 is a better option to buy for future proofing.

Thanks

Back