Aerovironment EVSE install information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cowboyrx said:
Does anyone know the max current/amps capacity of this charger? I know the current Leaf is limited to 3.3kW onboard charger, but want to know if the SPX 32A charger for $750 is a better option to buy for future proofing.

Thanks
AV is 30a so I would say it is the same power rating as the SPX. Although SPX would travel better and will adjust power down if the connection required it.

I did read somewhere that if you didn't have a prior L2 install done then no Leaf for you. BS. I called AV and they sold me only the charger. I'm not gonna pay someone $1200 to drill a hole in my wall and put a wire thru it. I payed for it Amex on Tues and got it Thurs. It weighs 10lbs and as far as I'm concerned it is a portable charger. Just plug into a dryer outlet after setting a pigtail into it. It is a 30 amp pigtail for $6 and if you look at the above post, you can see that the stranded wire they use from the service (little white) terminal block to the contactor is 10AWG stranded, same as the pigtail. Pigtail is 10 AWG and doesn't even get warm when charging. So save $1200 or whatever and get yourself a portable charger.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm8fy1lvyE[/youtube]

Unit is working like a champ just wish I got on this site earlier before I got bent over.

This is how I see it:

evseupgrade $239 basic upgrade + $48 to 16A + me shipping to them $30 = $317 (shipping back not included to be fair with ebay shipping).

ebay AV unit $495 difference is $178 and for that difference I will not even buy J1772 connector/cable (this is the killer for people developing new units) so not even for a price of a cable I have whole additional unit and if something go wrong there is always spare Nissan L1.

2 better than 1 for me at this time.

I recently got a quote (sort of by accident, I phoned aerovironment to see if how much a charging station installed in my workplace would be. (Shortly afterwords my boss said that they would only supply the out-door power and not the EVSE, which is more than what I originally asked for anyways)

I am pretty sure the quote is in USD. Please remember that this is for single quantities that are industrial grade. (thus more expensive than home use EVSE)

Perhaps this can be added to the first page?

Code:
Pricing: 
 EVSE-RS Wall Mount..............................................................................$1,140.00 each  
 EVSE-RS Pedestal Mount, Single Port....................................................$1,390.00 each
 EVSE-RS Pedestal Mount, Dual Port ......................................................$2,613.00 each
 EVSE-RS Pedestal Mount, Quad Port.....................................................$4,183.00 each 
• Reduced pricing available for quantity purchases 
Standard Features of above products: 
• SAEJ1772 Level II connector and cable 
• Outdoor-rated enclosure 
The quote above is for hardware only and does not include the costs associated with implementing 
an integrated rework system for asset management, performance measurement, security and 
payment.  AV has a standard package that has been adopted by numerous businesses, utilities 
and municipalities that is scalable whether you have 1 charging station or 10,000.  If you are 
interested in our sharing our information on this option, we will be happy to discuss and 
demonstrate it with a web demo and provide a detailed quote.   
Pricing is available upon request for additional items including Installation, Maintenance Programs, 
networking services (including data management) and Extended Warranty plans.   
Terms and Conditions: 
This quote is subject to standard AeroVironment Terms and Conditions, as attached.

I pulled back the unused dryer circuit from the laundry room and dropped it into the garage. Wired on a L6-30 receptacle and was done. Took maybe an hour and a circuit probe.

IMG_5922.JPG

Got mine today at a lot less then the quotes from Aerovironment :lol:

Have not seen a thread for this, I purchased the aerovironment unit and I have looked thru the booklet for installation. I have run 220 lines for a/c, heat, hot water and dryers. I have always used the proper wire size and it has always consisted of 4 wires. A red, black, white and copper ground. The install guide only accounts for 3 wires, 2 hot and a ground. I see nothing about a negative wire. I realize that the negative and the ground are usually connected to the same bar in the panel box, but see nothing in the install guide.........Thanks :?

walter said:
Have not seen a thread for this, I purchased the aerovironment unit and I have looked thru the booklet for installation. I have run 220 lines for a/c, heat, hot water and dryers. I have always used the proper wire size and it has always consisted of 4 wires. A red, black, white and copper ground. The install guide only accounts for 3 wires, 2 hot and a ground. I see nothing about a negative wire. I realize that the negative and the ground are usually connected to the same bar in the panel box, but see nothing in the install guide.........Thanks :?
Here is how my electrician wired my AeroVironment EVSE. You can see where the wiring comes in through the back of the unit, where he then connected the black, red and copper wires, and that he simply capped off the unnecessary white wire. I am a rank amateur, but I assume that he knew what he was doing...? :)

av_evse_wires.jpg

I found that 3 wire with ground was easier to get and cheaper than 2 wire with ground. :?
I did the same and just capped the white/neutral; it's not used by the EVSE.

The lack of the white, neutral (not "negative") wire simply means that the entire unit runs on 240 volts and no part of it requires 120 volts. A device such as a stove or dryer requires a neutral wire for parts, typically the control circuitry, that runs on 120 volts.

Back