Any interest for a VSP-delete module?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I MIGHT be interested. What about the idea of lowering the volume? I'd be interested in that. It allows us to say we didn't remove it, plus the next owner may want the noise back to the original.
Volume manipulation desirable - noted thank you! Reverting to original would be as simple as reconnecting OG VSP ECU..

Can it be reprogrammed to produce something really stupid? 8D I want galloping coconuts! With maybe some “flight of the Valkyries” to go with it!

There is another post topic on these forums where someone replaced the recordings on the VSP EEPROM with alternate recordings. It doesn't work for the forwards-driving noise, but it's possible to replace the other sounds by re-writing the EEPROM. No idea if this works in >2020 models though.

See here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20339

There is another post topic on these forums where someone replaced the recordings on the VSP EEPROM with alternate recordings. It doesn't work for the forwards-driving noise, but it's possible to replace the other sounds by re-writing the EEPROM. No idea if this works in >2020 models though.

See here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20339
Sounds like the forward motion sounds are stored elsewhere then. I wonder where?

AIUI, the sounds for forward control are synthesized in real time to account for speed. The pitch and the volume increase proportionally with speed until cutoff.

A custom VSP sound can be done easily with a completely separate synth & amplifier that gets info from the speaker wires, or the canbus, or wheel sensor, or gps. https://mikeisted.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/electric-vehiclerobot-sound-synthesiser/

WRT the sound of quiet ICE vs EV... at slow speeds, the EV can be deadly quiet. ICE machines, with few exceptions, have accessory belts and vibrations that can be heard by the visually impaired, whose hearing is generally more acute. Above 25mph, EV tire noise will sound as loud as ICE tire noise and the VSP is moot.

Thanks for your unsolicited advice Mr Lawyer. I never said anywhere that I would sell them though, and I'm not sure of what the RAV4 comment is referring to. Did you know that the sound is automatically muted by the vehicle above 30km/hr? That's the factory-standard config. But oh no, what if I hit them at 32km/hr and they say they didn't hear me?!
Yes I do know the FMVSS regulation quite well. Knowing the libability that modifications such as this have can help with deciding if they are really worth risking a legal action that cannot be won.

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles

How is this different that just turning off the vsp in leaf spy? I already turned off the annoying back up beeping in leaf spy.
Excellent question! LeafSpy cannot (currently) software disable the VSP sounds in the newer generation, generally >2020 Leafs.

AIUI, the sounds for forward control are synthesized in real time to account for speed. The pitch and the volume increase proportionally with speed until cutoff.

A custom VSP sound can be done easily with a completely separate synth & amplifier that gets info from the speaker wires, or the canbus, or wheel sensor, or gps. https://mikeisted.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/electric-vehiclerobot-sound-synthesiser/

WRT the sound of quiet ICE vs EV... at slow speeds, the EV can be deadly quiet. ICE machines, with few exceptions, have accessory belts and vibrations that can be heard by the visually impaired, whose hearing is generally more acute. Above 25mph, EV tire noise will sound as loud as ICE tire noise and the VSP is moot.
Ooohh.. one more.. the JAWS duh-na-nun-na-nun-na thing…. That should make pedestrians super happy! I so want this mod! Makes up for the inability to pull up behind someone in the parking lot and suddenly rev your engine..
This makes the coconuts thing better too… walks when slow then breaks into a cantor then a full gallop! After it hits 20 you add “ride of the Valkyrie”. It would be totally awesome! (A horse at full gallop does about 20mph)

Last edited:
Excellent question! LeafSpy cannot (currently) software disable the VSP sounds in the newer generation, generally >2020 Leafs.
I just saw a pic posted in another thread which showed a set of checkboxes on a yellow background. It might have been LeafSpy though it’s never a section I’ve seen come up. Apparently LeafSpy has all sorts of undocumented non-intuitive screens that show only when you perform some kind of Konami code equivalent but are never seen unless you “know” as such I have never seen it and don’t know if it was LeafSpy or not.

A. Is it?
B. If it is how do you get to it?
C. In it there are a bunch of things including an “A” and “B”. What are a&b?

What I really really want to do is change the sounds rather than merely controlling the volume. Is this possible using the app? Or do I need to dig deeper? (I thought about possible options and was entranced. Imagine your car doing “Monty python and the holy grail” coconuts to imitate horse hooves or playing the stalking theme from “JAWS” da-na-na-na-na behind some pedestrian. It’s beautiful). I’m not sure either are actually copywritable as you can’t copywrite coconuts or two base violin notes. Definitely not the coconuts. Foley artis have been doing that since the beginning of talkies. Maybe before.

Last edited:
The irony about this is that electric cars do make noises; mostly tires and motor. The problem is that the EX noises are drowned out by ICE vehicles. It seems to be impossible to get the ICE crowd to use decent mufflers so the push is to make EVs noiser.
motor noises from the exterior are nearly silent. Yeah, when driving you can hear that high pitched whine but try having someone drive past you. Its not very apparent. FYI; MANY gassers are very quite these days.

I just saw a pic posted in another thread which showed a set of checkboxes on a yellow background. It might have been LeafSpy though it’s never a section I’ve seen come up. Apparently LeafSpy has all sorts of undocumented non-intuitive screens that show only when you perform some kind of Konami code equivalent but are never seen unless you “know” as such I have never seen it and don’t know if it was LeafSpy or not.

A. Is it?
B. If it is how do you get to it?
C. In it there are a bunch of things including an “A” and “B”. What are a&b?

What I really really want to do is change the sounds rather than merely controlling the volume. Is this possible using the app? Or do I need to dig deeper? (I thought about possible options and was entranced. Imagine your car doing “Monty python and the holy grail” coconuts to imitate horse hooves or playing the stalking theme from “JAWS” da-na-na-na-na behind some pedestrian. It’s beautiful). I’m not sure either are actually copywritable as you can’t copywrite coconuts or two base violin notes. Definitely not the coconuts. Foley artis have been doing that since the beginning of talkies. Maybe before.
You have to enable the settings screen first to see this

TBH that sounds like the normal UI for all of the screens inside LeafSpy :) It's a very useful tool, but pretty it ain't.
Pretty I could care less about. I actually predate color monitors. UI used to mean command line and GUI meant graphical use interface. No basically everything is graphical so now it’s just UI and using GUI marks you as an “old”. I just want to be able to see the thing. Weirdly command line is still around. I guess they just call it “command line”

I'm thinking about building a VSP-delete module.

It would be a module that you simply plug into the wiring loom using the VSP plug behind your glovebox after removing the current VSP module. It's purpose would be to send the necessary periodic CAN frames that the combination meter is expecting so as to stop the combination meter from showing the VSP malfunction lamp. It would not produce any of the normal VSP noises, therefore silencing the VSP speakers.

Is there any interest in such a module from other forum members? Maybe I could build a handful of them instead of just two for my own vehicles.
Interested yes in all things leaf custom programming.

Interested yes in all things leaf custom programming.
This may be a solution for 2020+ leafs. It would be even cooler if it could be done by LeafSpyPro. Might need both. I do wonder though why Nissan went to the trouble of blocking it though. It may or may not be a good reason. Whatever it is though it’s got to be compatible with leafspypro. I still want the JAWS theme thing and the coconut noises though.

UI used to mean command line and GUI meant graphical use interface. No basically everything is graphical so now it’s just UI and using GUI marks you as an “old”. I just want to be able to see the thing. Weirdly command line is still around. I guess they just call it “command line”

I've always known it just as "CLI". Comand Line is actually my preferred interface. I'm glad it's still around :)

I've always known it just as "CLI". Comand Line is actually my preferred interface. I'm glad it's still around :)
I don’t know if that makes you of a previous or later generation. I got into such stuff in the 80’s and 90’s. It’s usually hidden these days but you can usually get to it. Most commonly it’s best fleshed on the BSD and Linux stuff. I think even Android still has it which isn’t Linux anymore. It’s annoying to get to though. Also they limited the shell choices a lot. I suspect if one wanted to add (another) computer to a leaf in a weird place it would probably be some sort of arduino Small, cheap, rugged, doesn’t do too terribly badly with heat (some of em do). Back in the day they used to take a regular circuit board and encase it in silicone. Just pour it in. Kept vibrations from breaking solder joints. No doubt there is something built for automotive application though.

Last edited:
Back