Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the DMV people are seeing so many Leaf's ask for the stickers that they're not stopping to question each application any more. They look at it, see Nissan Leaf and *BAM* - you get your stickers. A few months ago, I'm sure a supervisor was called and each person said "What's a Nissan Leaf?" and *THUD* - delay!

Jimmydreams said:
I think the DMV people are seeing so many Leaf's ask for the stickers that they're not stopping to question each application any more. They look at it, see Nissan Leaf and *BAM* - you get your stickers. A few months ago, I'm sure a supervisor was called and each person said "What's a Nissan Leaf?" and *THUD* - delay!
still takes a month.

Car picked up May 9th
sent in HOV Sticker application as soon as DMV confirmed my plates had been assigned - June 7
DMV cashed the check that had been sent with the application June 17th - so I'm hoping to get the
white stickers this week!
Blink! installed June 17th - looking forward to converting to the Leaf as my commute car and selling off the yellow - sticker Prius....with luck all prior to July 1...
RickJ

6/24/11 - UPdate: I called DMV this morning and asked if they'd sent the stickers - was told 'once we've cashed your check it could be from one to 30 days before the stickers are mailed - we can't tell which, and can't tell you if we've mailed them' ...
HOWever - the stickers arrived in today's (6/24) mail 1 week after check was cashed.

How long does it take these days to get plates (not custom) for a new car? With all the furloughs and all...

And, don't you need a license plate number to get the white stickers? Interesting that you don't need fastrak with white ones as you do yellow stickers.

Thanks-

Another question about white stickers-has anyone tried going in person to the DMV office and showing proof of electric vehicle purchase and getting stickers without waiting for license plate number?

thankyouOB said:
still takes a month.

If your dealer doesn't send the proper payment to the DMV (like Boardwalk did for me) you'll probably have to wait 2 months (or more).

pearlyleaf said:
How long does it take these days to get plates (not custom) for a new car? With all the furloughs and all...

And, don't you need a license plate number to get the white stickers? Interesting that you don't need fastrak with white ones as you do yellow stickers.

Thanks-
I got my plates in about 6 weeks. As far as HOV stickers are concerned, you don't need the plates, just a VIN#, but they won't process the paperwork until the plate # is assigned to your VIN. The plate number is assigned when your registration is processed, however it takes several days for them to ship the plates. I received my title with the plate# way before the plates arrived. Once the plate # is in the computer, they will process your HOV application. This is done by a special dept. I had an issue and they called me to clear things up. They were very helpful. Not your typical DMV experience. I got my HOV stickers three days after my plates arrived. I applied the day after I bought the car.

Final Update:
04/20/11 - Leaf Purchased
04/21/11 - CA DMV Personalized Plates Ordered
04/21/11 - CA DMV HOV Sticker requested, VIN only
04/21/11 - CA CCSE Rebate Filed
05/04/11 - CA CCSE Rebate Check Received
05/28/11 - Title Received
05/28/11 - ZEV Sticker requested (with plate #)
05/31/11 - CA Plates Received
06/03/11 - HOV Sticker Received
06/10/11 - ZEV Sticker Received
06/18/11 - Personalized Plates Received

pearlyleaf said:
Another question about white stickers-has anyone tried going in person to the DMV office and showing proof of electric vehicle purchase and getting stickers without waiting for license plate number?

i don't think this works. the stickers are processed by a special office at the DMV headquarters and so taking it to your local office will just slow things down as the local office then has to forward it to the special processing unit.

I have the fastest turn around. My plates arrived last week of May and I set up an appt. and picked them up first week of June. Mailed my applicatio for HOV/EV sticker first 2nd week of June and recieved it in 1 week. I was surprised but I have it. Now I need to think of the best way to stick it.

jcesare said:
pearlyleaf said:

Thanks-
I got my plates in about 6 weeks. As far as HOV stickers are concerned, you don't need the plates, just a VIN#, but they won't process the paperwork until the plate # is assigned to your VIN. The plate number is assigned when your registration is processed, however it takes several days for them to ship the plates. I received my title with the plate# way before the plates arrived. Once the plate # is in the computer, they will process your HOV application. This is done by a special dept. I had an issue and they called me to clear things up. They were very helpful. Not your typical DMV experience. I got my HOV stickers three days after my plates arrived. I applied the day after I bought the car.

So do you recommend sending in the HOV sticker application with the VIN? Do you think it is quicker than waiting for the title and/or plates?

pearlyleaf said:
So do you recommend sending in the HOV sticker application with the VIN? Do you think it is quicker than waiting for the title and/or plates?
YMMV. In my case, I sent the applications in a few days after purchase. A week ago I got the applications back with a note that the VIN wasn't in the system, and to wait for the plates. The plates showed up on Sat. :roll: Now, I've sent the HOV and parking applications back in. I don't think it was any slower, but it certainly wasn't faster in my case.

2011-05-08: LEAF Delivered/Purchased
2011-05-17: Mailed application for California rebate
2011-05-19: Received registration in mail with License Plate information
2011-05-20: Mailed HOV sticker application
2011-05-20: Mailed EV Parking application (separate envelope)
2011-05-23: Plates Arrive
2011-06-01: Checks for HOV and Parking Cashed
2011-06-03: HOV stickers arrive
2011-06-03: EV Parking sticker arrive (same envelope as HOV stickers)
2011-06-20: CA Rebate check arrives

2011-06-08: Leaf Purchased
2011-06-08: CA Rebate Reserved online
2011-06-09: CA Rebate application mailed
2011-06-13: CA Rebate Domestic Return Receipt signed

Awaiting:

Registration
License Plates
CA Rebate

Just called Sacramento DMV special processing unit this morning. Was told they are currently processing applications received 6/12/11. Just wanted to share this info in case you were also waiting for yours and contemplating calling and holding for a long long long....long time.

glennkfu said:
Just called Sacramento DMV special processing unit this morning. Was told they are currently processing applications received 6/12/11. Just wanted to share this info in case you were also waiting for yours and contemplating calling and holding for a long long long....long time.

Thanks for the update. What's the consensus on how long one should wait before submitting the application (2 weeks?)? I got my car on Sunday...dealer used electronic registration. I'm anxious to get the stickers.

-Matt

davewill said:
pearlyleaf said:
YMMV. In my case, I sent the applications in a few days after purchase. A week ago I got the applications back with a note that the VIN wasn't in the system, and to wait for the plates. The plates showed up on Sat. :roll: Now, I've sent the HOV and parking applications back in. I don't think it was any slower, but it certainly wasn't faster in my case.
One other potential variable: some dealers send the DMV info electronically (and usually charge you a few dollars extra for this service - mine did - so you would know if they did it). That electronic transfer likely speeds the assignment of the VIN# to plate #'s, which seems to be the enabling step for HOV issuance.

glennkfu said:

I sent my application in on June 2 and haven't heard a peep yet. So, what is the number to call if I am masochistic enough to try?

oakwcj said:
glennkfu said:

I sent my application in on June 2 and haven't heard a peep yet. So, what is the number to call if I am masochistic enough to try?

Their phone # is: 916-657-8035

glennkfu said:
oakwcj said:
glennkfu said:

Their phone # is: 916-657-8035

I guess what you're told depends on when you call, to whom you speak, and the phases of the moon. I was told this morning that they have apparently run out of stickers and are waiting for more. Please take this "information" with a large quantity of NaCl.

Back