Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that the dealer can play a part in this too. Some dealers batch their DMV paperwork and don't take it to the DMV daily, or even weekly.
Thus it can be some time before the paperwork is even presented to the DMV which further increases the lag.

JPVLeaf said:
mwalsh said:
Still waiting on my registration too....7 weeks tomorrow since I picked up my car. Starting to get a little pissy. :oops:
How long before your car showed up in (cash-strapped CA) DMV's system?

mwalsh said:
Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:18 pm
Just went over to AAA today....my car isn't even in the DMV system yet. Can't get stickers for a car they don't know about, apparently. ;)

mwalsh said:
Still waiting on my registration too....7 weeks tomorrow since I picked up my car. Starting to get a little pissy.

I don't think you'll find too many sympathetic ears regarding your wait for registration papers. Most of us are waiting for cars and even waiting to just put in an order for a car. Few with only a 7 week wait.

I am sympathetic to all phases of EV ownership. The early owners help pave the way for ALL those who follow in their footsteps.

Perhaps one should ask their dealer when the Registration was transmitted to DMV, and how.

garygid said:
I am sympathetic to all phases of EV ownership. The early owners help pave the way for ALL those who follow in their footsteps.

Perhaps one should ask their dealer when the Registration was transmitted to DMV, and how.

Waiting for the DMV is not part of the EV experience. It is a part of ALL cars, and it is nothing new. I've know it to take 6 months for plates and papers to be issued; though it is generally 2-3 months. With the budget problems and cutbacks we can only expect these waits to get longer.

Dealing with registering EVs (that have no "cc", etc.) is not yet easy in all areas/states.

So, dealing with the "DMV" can be as much of a challenge as dealing with a Public Utility or Building Department.

The first ones help us all.

EVNation said:
EVNation said:
We applied for both parking and HOV stickers the minute the plates arrived (which came fast BTW). It has now been ~5 weeks since we mailed in sticker application and the DMV haven't even cashed the check. So much for CA needing money...

Wife is going to DMV anyway today and is going to try and get them direct, then cancel the checks.

DMV said you can't get the HOV and Parking at DMV. Must be done in Sacramento
That sounds like someone is new at the DMV . . . . because being on the RAV4-ev mail list, folks there reported (years ago) they came from the local DMV OR the automobile club. Similarly, it was that way w/ the yellow stickier.
so unless things changed ....

hill said:
EVNation said:
EVNation said:
We applied for both parking and HOV stickers the minute the plates arrived (which came fast BTW). It has now been ~5 weeks since we mailed in sticker application and the DMV haven't even cashed the check. So much for CA needing money...

Wife is going to DMV anyway today and is going to try and get them direct, then cancel the checks.

DMV said you can't get the HOV and Parking at DMV. Must be done in Sacramento
That sounds like someone is new at the DMV . . . . because being on the RAV4-ev mail list, folks there reported (years ago) they came from the local DMV OR the automobile club. Similarly, it was that way w/ the yellow stickier.

The forms say specifically to mail them to Sacramento. I don't believe they say "local DMV OR mail", so I'm guessing the local DMV doesn't have the stickers.

I believe they changed it because of some fraud problems in the past...

hill said:

Deane, certain EV designated parking spots require that you have this sticker. Don't think you need it to park at LAX, but you do need it, for example, at public meters (and Ralphs) in Santa Monica (any reason to ticket you in Santa Monica, they will find a way!)

http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg4048.pdf

I'm still thinking I'm going to avoid the verbiage on the form and send it in with my VIN only as soon as I've made the purchase.

Did the same thing with my Prius in August of 2005 with only a VIN (and a similar form) and got my stickers no problem. Still have my paperwork that goes with them that has no license plate # on it, too :)

Good idea! I'll try the same -- worse case I'll send the form again after I get the license plate

sdbonez said:
I'm still thinking I'm going to avoid the verbiage on the form and send it in with my VIN only as soon as I've made the purchase.

Did the same thing with my Prius in August of 2005 with only a VIN (and a similar form) and got my stickers no problem. Still have my paperwork that goes with them that has no license plate # on it, too :)

It may work with the EV sticker but the HOV sticker definitely needs a license plate number...

Fabio said:
Good idea! I'll try the same -- worse case I'll send the form again after I get the license plate

sdbonez said:

mogur said:
It may work with the EV sticker but the HOV sticker definitely needs a license plate number...

Fabio said:

sdbonez said:

Still waiting for my checks to clear the DMV for either the carpool or EV parking sticker...anyone seen either yet? I have a feeling that the DMV does not have their computers updated (surprise :roll: ) to show that the LEAF is a qualified EV for either program. This might be a very long wait. :twisted:

still nothing and I sent in those forms on Feb. 10th. I saw that an $8 check was cashed yesterday and I thought it might be the HOV sticker, but sadly no, it was for Girl Scout cookies ;)

malloryk said:
still nothing and I sent in those forms on Feb. 10th. I saw that an $8 check was cashed yesterday and I thought it might be the HOV sticker, but sadly no, it was for Girl Scout cookies ;)

That was a tease I bet. At least you can eat the cookies while you keep waiting :p . I know the DMV is slow, but I remember the turn around time for my hybrid stickers was pretty fast. I still think it might me a software/database issue since the plug-in program does not start until Jan 2012, they may not have updated the system for the LEAF. :cry: .

Ready2plugin said:
malloryk said:

That was a tease I bet. At least you can eat the cookies while you keep waiting :p . I know the DMV is slow, but I remember the turn around time for my hybrid stickers was pretty fast. I still think it might me a software/database issue since the plug-in program does not start until Jan 2012, they may not have updated the system for the LEAF. :cry: .

Has anyone with their forms submitted tried calling the DMV?

Back