Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fabio said:
33 days after delivery my VIN is still not in the DMV database. I'm getting frustrated, even more seeing all those <censure/> abusing the HOV lane on 101

How can you tell if your VIN is in the DMV database yet?

We got ours about a two weeks ago. It took about two months from the time I sent in the paperwork.

By the way, I am heading to our closest Nissan dealer today to do the software upgrade/recall.

Question: There are 2 forms to fill: one for decal and one for sticker...can I file them at the same time? if so, how--looks like the sticker application require me knowing my decal number?

Question for somebody who got their HOV decals:

Is there official paperwork included with the decals?
If so, are your VIN and license plate numbers BOTH listed on the "certificate"?

Are you supposed to carry a copy of this HOV "certificate" with you in the car?

(Similar question for the EV sticker.)

lettcco said:
Question: There are 2 forms to fill: one for decal and one for sticker...can I file them at the same time? if so, how--looks like the sticker application require me knowing my decal number?

Where do you get two forms? I only saw one on the CA DMV site. Thanks, John

JohnP said:
lettcco said:

ZEV Parking Decal: http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg4048.pdf
HOV Lane Sticker: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf

1051 said:
JohnP said:
lettcco said:

ZEV Parking Decal: http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg4048.pdf
HOV Lane Sticker: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf

Thanks, I only need the HOV sticker so I'm OK.

z0ner said:
It's been four days since I took delivery and I have the forms all filled out and ready to be dropped in the mail. Has anyone actually received stickers and NOT filled out the plate info? Should I just hold off and wait until I get the plates?
My wife decided to chance it and sent in the app for the HOV stickers w/o the plates a week after receiving the car. The plates came in to the dealer a few days later. She thought she might have screwed up by not waiting for the plates, but our HOV stickers arrived today, 3 weeks later, along with our registration, in the same envelope!

Our MP (Motive Power) category is shown correctly as "E" on the registration slip, so our dealer got that right. We even got a $10 check back from the dealer for some "registration overcharge" they apparently made!

TT

garygid said:
Question for somebody who got their HOV decals:

Is there official paperwork included with the decals?
Yes, a "Clean air Sticker Certificate" is included.
If so, are your VIN and license plate numbers BOTH listed on the "certificate"?
Yes.
Are you supposed to carry a copy of this HOV "certificate" with you in the car?
Yes, it says it must be carried in the vehicle with the registration and presented to any peace officer on demand.

(Similar question for the EV sticker.)
Don't know, we haven't applied for that one yet. Didn't even know it existed before I read it here. I don't see any real need for it yet, since the free parking spots for ZEVs or for charging are not in great supply around here yet, but I guess we will do it eventually. $17 seems a little steep for the decal when the HOV lane sticker was only $8! Anybody know how essential the parking decal is in San Diego at the moment? Any "real world" examples of where it can be used right now?

TT

Tom,
Just beware of parking where the signage says (or implies) that the EV Parking sticker is required for use of the parking spot.

I have not seen any myself, but others have ... perhaps in Santa Monica.

If it just says "EV Parking", can a Volt park there?
If it can, can a Prius (not plug-in) also park there?

ttweed said:
z0ner said:
It's been four days since I took delivery and I have the forms all filled out and ready to be dropped in the mail. Has anyone actually received stickers and NOT filled out the plate info? Should I just hold off and wait until I get the plates?
My wife decided to chance it and sent in the app for the HOV stickers w/o the plates a week after receiving the car. The plates came in to the dealer a few days later. She thought she might have screwed up by not waiting for the plates, but our HOV stickers arrived today, 3 weeks later, along with our registration, in the same envelope!

Our MP (Motive Power) category is shown correctly as "E" on the registration slip, so our dealer got that right. We even got a $10 check back from the dealer for some "registration overcharge" they apparently made!

TT

the plates went to the dealer, not your house?

thankyouOB said:
the plates went to the dealer, not your house?
Yah. We went down and picked them up when they called us. It was about 10 days after we bought the car, IIRC. After seeing people say it took 30 days or more to get their plates, I didn't think it would be that quick.

garygid said:
Tom,
Just beware of parking where the signage says (or implies) that the EV Parking sticker is required for use of the parking spot.
I have not seen any myself, but others have ... perhaps in Santa Monica.
Haven't seen any of those parking spots around here yet, either. Don't plan on driving up to Dogtown anytime soon. A little far for the Leaf's range without some L3 stations on the way....

TT

I just got the 3 HOV stickers, and the "certificate", which has the license plate number, the sticker's serial number, MP (Motive Power) "E", and the VIN.

I guess they waited until the plate number got into the DMV database.

My $8 check for the stickers cleared my bank yesterday.

Now, just waiting for the EV Parking sticker.

garygid said:

$8 check?? Uh oh... I just mailed in my HOV & parking sticker applications, and enclosed only a $17 check for the parking stickers. I looked all over the HOV app and couldn't find mention of a fee (which I thought was quite weird!). I guess I should have had my wife give the app a look for a second opinion...

Bill

garygid said:
I just got the 3 HOV stickers, and the "certificate", which has the license plate number, the sticker's serial number, MP (Motive Power) "E", and the VIN.

I guess they waited until the plate number got into the DMV database.

Now, just waiting for the EV Parking sticker.

how fast did you send them off after delivery, Gary? (trying to extrapolate given my 1 day off of your delivery and about a week lag before I sent off the dmv paperwork...)

boomer,
Like you, about a week, but at about 10 days I called my PD to see if my LEAF had been Registered. They were still sitting on it, waiting for my check to clear. I faxed them my bank's record of posting my check on the 2nd day after delivery, and they said that they would walk my DMV Registration through on the next week's visit to the DMV.

So, I suspect that the response waits until the DMV database shows:
1. Your VIN
2. Your license plate number.

Almost a week ago, my PD let me know that they had received my Plates and that they would mail them to me. They arrived, so I have to mount them soon.

Looks like I will mount the front plate in the "standard" place. However, I will try to drill just 2 small holes instead of 2 small and 2 large.

Electric4Me said:
garygid said:

$8 check?? Uh oh... I just mailed in my HOV & parking sticker applications, and enclosed only a $17 check for the parking stickers. I looked all over the HOV app and couldn't find mention of a fee (which I thought was quite weird!). I guess I should have had my wife give the app a look for a second opinion...

Bill

I went back and looked at this form again...and still couldn't find the $8 fee! That is, until I used the Acrobat search function, and found it subtly mentioned in the top right corner... That'll slow my order down! :(

Back