Are Leaf Plus 12 volt batteries dying?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterr

Are any LEAF Plus owners experiencing dead 12V batteries for no apparent reason? Like many others, the 12 volt battery in my 2014 LEAF has died several times for no apparent reason. The first time it happened, the dealer replaced my original battery under warranty. After that died a few times and would no longer take a good charge I replaced it with an Optima Yellowtop, which has been going along pretty well for about a year. But I did experience another dead battery incident last month. I'm looking at replacing another vehicle with a BEV with 200+ mile range next year. If the battery killing problem has been solved by Nissan, I will consider a LEAF Plus. If not, I'll only be shopping other makes.

Since your previous posts had to do with the 3G TCU upgrade, did you ever get NTB18-045 applied? See https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=568957#p568957.

If not, that might've been what's helping kill your 12 volt batteries. That said, they don't seem to last that long in '13 Leafs w/nav on cars w/o the solar panel (only on SL trims) and in non-rainy areas.

1st 12 volt on my 5/2013 used '13 Leaf bit the dust in Oct 2015. Replaced for free under warranty by the dealer. That replacement bit the dust a few weeks ago so I bought a 12 volt from Costco which was about 1/2 what the dealer wanted w/the 50% part co-pay on an "84 month" Nissan-branded battery.

Our 2019 plus is too new to have any issues, but our 2015 S still had the original battery at 30K miles and I see no reason to have this one act any differently.......

Back