Battery melt down?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cfl said:
So for now they put a data recorder in the car (see image) and want me do drive around for a week with the recorder to see if it happens again
Impressive follow-up on their part! Sounds like they want to make sure that any glitches are discovered and taken care of promptly. Amazing that this is the first report we have seen of such a problem.

cfl said:
So for now they put a data recorder in the car (see image) and want me do drive around for a week with the recorder to see if it happens again
Perhaps it's just me, but I want this recorder! And more importantly, the analytics software that goes with it ;-)

surfingslovak said:
Perhaps it's just me, but I want this recorder! And more importantly, the analytics software that goes with it ;-)
Some have said that it is a beta of version 7 of Gary's SOC meter, but due to my NDA I can neither confirm nor deny this. :lol:

Hmm, same company that made the recorder in the leaf that one of the engineers drove to the First AZ Delivery event in Phoenix.

IMG_6753.JPG

Or maybe this is the control for that other unit.

BTW, I would be very interested in any manufacturer data you can collect off that logger. I searched but could not find out who makes this unit.

surfingslovak said:
cfl said:
Any volunteer hacker to come to cfl's house to hack into it? ;)

Looks like this Recorder might plug into the OBD connector?

Any idea where the rear-mounted recorders plug in?

turbo2ltr said:
Hmm, same company that made the recorder in the leaf that one of the engineers drove to the First AZ Delivery event in Phoenix.

IMG_6753.JPG

Or maybe this is the control for that other unit.

surfingslovak said:
kmp647 said:
can someone post the full battery temp to gauge chart that shows at what point the temp segments are illuminated?
leaf_temp_gauge.png

So looking at this chart here in Northern Va as I wait for the November delivery of my 2012 Leaf, I cant help but wonder about the performance of the battery in typical N Va winter temps and the curious operation of the battery heater (that it does not kick in til -4F pack temp)

at 0 F psck temp a Leaf will show 0 segments lit on its batt temp meter , yet there will be no response from the pack heater ?

what type of performance can the pack provide at 0 F ?

I realize that just because the outside air temp is maybe 5 F overnight that the pack will be warmer..... but how much warmer? residual? charging heat ?

I know this is a bit off topic from the post topic

kmp647 said:
at 0 F psck temp a Leaf will show 0 segments lit on its batt temp meter , yet there will be no response from the pack heater ?
what type of performance can the pack provide at 0 F ?

its just a temperature gage, apparently even a 0° F your Leaf battery is fine. I would get an external oil pan heater for the Leaf if I lived in Canada or another cold hell hole. Here is an easy one to install:

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1153-Handi-Heat-Magnetic-Heater/dp/B000BOABS6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this one sticks on with glue:

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-24150-Watt-Universal-Heater/dp/B000I8TQD6/ref=pd_sbs_auto2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pretty similiar problem here too last week on top of flat tire issues with only 2000 miles....it's turning into a bad bad exp and boy am I glad I leased it and not buy it...

thups said:
pretty similiar problem here too last week on top of flat tire issues with only 2000 miles....it's turning into a bad bad exp and boy am I glad I leased it and not buy it...
If you don't give any details of problems and their resolution (or lack thereof), we can't help you and you are not of any help to someone considering purchasing or leasing. If problems are heat related, saying what area you live in would be helpful too.

If users with low post counts post issues with no detail I would likely disregard them, most often when this happens it's not what it appears to be.

EVDRIVER said:
If users with low post counts post issues with no detail I would likely disregard them, most often when this happens it's not what it appears to be.
Yes, I thought that post came dangerously close to trolling, but figured I would give him a chance to show otherwise.

EVDRIVER said:

+1! They're probably a GM or BIG OIL exec.

LEAFfan said:
EVDRIVER said:

+1! They're probably a GM or BIG OIL exec.

Ya think???

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=101446536586451&topic=54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://astroturfwars.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cfl said:
Update: some engineers with an Asian accent interviewed me yesterday by phone for about 10 min to get more details of what happened, looked at the Leaf and drove around for about 50% charge, but could not reproduce the problem and they are not sure what is going on. So for now they put a data recorder in the car (see image) and want me do drive around for a week with the recorder to see if it happens again
Any news?

Back