bought a used 2013 sl. how do I get keep track of when to take it in for service?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlleaf510

hi guys enjoying my 2013 sl bought it at 27k 2 mos in now at 284 . I was just wondering when do I take in for service. is it certain miles? or will a light service light up? also what about battery checkups? thanks

It might be a good idea to take it to a dealer and get the battery health check. They would no doubt tell you if they saw anything else wrong with the car, which should be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism, particularly if the tell you you're due for some pricey "X mile service".

so just drive to the nearest nissan dealer and tell them I need service done? how can I check when it was last serviced. so no service check light? of some sort like my 16 corolla =) lol

You do not need to have it "serviced"..... Does it have 12 bars of Battery capacity on the right side of the instruments? Then you are golden. If there are less than 12 bars, then have the main battery checked at Nissan.

If the car drives ok, you DONT need service...

If you did not buy it checked from a dealer, but privately, get your mechanic to check the tires, brakes, and wiper fluid... THAT"S IT..

Does it have 12 bars of Battery capacity on the right side of the instruments? Then you are golden. If there are less than 12 bars, then have the main battery checked at Nissan.

There is no point in "having the main battery checked at Nissan." The dealerships can't do real diagnostic work on the pack, and don't know anything about them anyway. Only when the capacity bars drop to 8 should you involve a dealership.

I see.. thanks guys yes it shows 12 full white bars.. at 85 miles full charge.. at 28k..even tho I'm sure that has degraded.

Maintenance Items I do for Leaf:

Monthly top off tire pressure (I use 43 psi, free at Discount Tire Store)

Every 7,500 miles rotate tires (free at Discount Tire Store)

Annually:

Dealer Battery check to keep warranty active, year one and two free, year three and beyond we must pay

check Brakes, cabin air filter (I do not drive in dusty environment and use very little brake so passed on these for year one and two. If we keep Leaf after Lease then I will do these.)

Take it to your preferred Nissan dealer and ask the Service Department to pull up the service history on the car. Mine did it with just the VIN number before I actually bought the car, and gave me the print outs. One of the things to find out is the date it was placed in service. That lets you know when the original warranty started, and when to get the annual battery check done.

thanks guys. how much does this annual battery check run by the way.?I have a 13 so 5y/60k will be up in 2 years and I'm still at 12. I might not degrade in time for warranty to be relevant. also I was givin a car fax sevice document. is that the same as what nissan would pulled?

Back