Bremertong-Bainbridge, Kingston Leaf and other ferry users

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astolfo

I am trying to get a list of Leaf owners so I can submit a petition to WSF include the Leaf on the small car fee segment.
Please send me PM if you are interested in making this happen or know how to go about it.
Cheers
Astolfo

I don't know the details, and haven't been a Washington resident for a few decades, but I would fervently hope that the fare for taking a LEAF on a ferryboat would be a function of just two things: 1) the size of the LEAF, and 2), the weight of the LEAF. Unless they incorrectly measured those parameters, or botched the calculation of the fare, pay up. Don't try to claim you deserve a reduced fare because your particular piece of cargo that's being carried by a diesel-powered boat is glowing with eco-virtue.

One thing that might be more reasonable to ask the ferry system for would be a charge station or two in the "waiting for ferry" parking lots.

Levenkay said:
I don't know the details, and haven't been a Washington resident for a few decades, but I would fervently hope that the fare for taking a LEAF on a ferryboat would be a function of just two things: 1) the size of the LEAF, and 2), the weight of the LEAF. Unless they incorrectly measured those parameters, or botched the calculation of the fare, pay up. Don't try to claim you deserve a reduced fare because your particular piece of cargo that's being carried by a diesel-powered boat is glowing with eco-virtue.

One thing that might be more reasonable to ask the ferry system for would be a charge station or two in the "waiting for ferry" parking lots.

:roll:

Levenkay said:

There is the problem, it has nothing to do with eco virtue, but with consistency. So if you do not know the specifics, or have something of value to contribute why you bother?

Moving on... :lol:

I have to agree with Levenkay. While I am not a WA state resident, I do frequently visit the Puget Sound region, and have ridden on just about all of WSF's routes except for perhaps to Vashon Island and the route to Vancouver Island (though I have been to Friday Harbor).

WSF's issue with the Leaf not being a "small" car is just that...at 175 inches long, it exceeds their 14 foot limit for their definition of a small car. The Leaf's proportions make it look small, but in reality it's longer than my Audi A3.

The issue here is not eco-friendliness of the car, or lack thereof, it is the car's physical size. The reduced fare for what they believe to be a "small" car is so that they can cram more vehicles onto the boat. Having a zero (tailpipe) emission car doesn't improve that situation any over a similarly-sized ICEV.

You talk about consistency...what vehicles that are above the 14 foot limit have been granted an exception? Google doesn't seem to come up with anything, nor does the fare schedule mention anything other than the 14 foot rule.

I also agree with Levenkay that it's more realistic to ask for preferential/discounted parking and charging stations at the terminals.

I remember a few years back that I asked a couple of deck hands about charging on-board the ferry while en-route and was told that they'd be more than happy to plug me in to ship power given a long enough extension cord. "After all," they said, "it's limitless "free" power!" Not sure I'd trust the power quality coming out of that thing, though..

Only a sporadic ferry user here (maybe 4x/year), but I think I've only ever been charged the small car rate.

Astolfo said:
it has to do with a list that some attendants have and some don't
We are interested in your post (In fact, we're heading up to Washington in a few hours -- not via Leaf for this short trip.), but perhaps if you would explain the basis of your request, MNL participants could provide better comment and perhaps support.

Astolfo said:
Then perhaps "The List" has a fortuitous (for LEAF owners) error built into it. I took my LEAF on the Port Townsend/Keystone ferry last year, and arrived at the terminal during enough of a slack period that there was nobody behind me at the tollbooth. The attendant asked me whether my car was a compact, and I was kind of befuddled as to what she meant. She explained that if the car I was driving was a compact one, my fare would be less. I was still clueless, and there still wasn't anyone else coming, so she took out a measuring wheel (the kind they use to work out distances for accident reports), and measured off my car. "Nope.", she said. "You gotta pay the full fare".

It seems pretty simply to me: If the limit for a compact is X feet and the Leaf is X Plus feet, it is not a compact and does not get the compact rate. End of discussion.

Levenkay said:
Astolfo said:
Then perhaps "The List" has a fortuitous (for LEAF owners) error built into it. I took my LEAF on the Port Townsend/Keystone ferry last year, and arrived at the terminal during enough of a slack period that there was nobody behind me at the tollbooth. The attendant asked me whether my car was a compact, and I was kind of befuddled as to what she meant. She explained that if the car I was driving was a compact one, my fare would be less. I was still clueless, and there still wasn't anyone else coming, so she took out a measuring wheel (the kind they use to work out distances for accident reports), and measured off my car. "Nope.", she said. "You gotta pay the full fare".

Since it is a government thing it is not as simple....there are 3 vehicles in the list that measure up to 14' 9" that are considered compact, and are on that list, that is why I want to roundup as may Leaf owners.

When I called WSF I was told that it was in the compact list and that I should ask for a sticker, then the attendant measured and the Leaf is 14' 3" so he said no, no sticker for you.

I called WSF back and I was asked about if I knew how many people got affected by this, and for them to fix it one way or another they needed more than one or 2 people placing a complaint for them to remedy the problem and re issue the advisory.

So I am not trying to get away with paying less because being "green" I am just trying to figure out why if the limit for compact is 14' there are vehicles that are 14' 9" in the compact list. And if the limit is 14' 9" inches then have WSF re-issuing the qualified vehicles list with 7 different vehicles that were added in that additional advisory list.

very simple.

What 3 cars are you talking about? Here's that "list"
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/A97B51A3-7E27-4814-8B90-3EAECC004DB6/0/ListofCarsUnderandOver14Feet2011_1024.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and I don't see anything listed that is over 14 feet long. As cars have grown in size over the years, some cars are disqualified after a certain model year, and that model year is also mentioned in the list. Cars that have body styles that fall on either side of the 14 foot limit are also mentioned.

The list is dated October 2011, and if your allegedly compact car is not on the list, WSF personnel can qualify you just by measuring the car as well.

Back