Buying a LEAF....or not? Thoughts.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gavin,

I've followed your posts in Aptera and here. From what I've read, you should not buy the Leaf. It's not the car you want.

This has nothing to do with Nissan calling you (could you imagine Paul Wilbur of Aptera callling you?). It's totally based on what you've wanted in a car from the first post of yours that I've read.

And, like others, I won't benefit if you drop your place in line, as I ordered on 08/31.

Hope this helps,

Gary...Randy...I agree with both of you....and Thanks :)

As for keeping the order and orphaning it if I get the Fiat...I have thought of that...it would be nice to do for a dealer that has been very nice and helpful...

At the same time I would probably rather not do that as I would prefer a customer who has been patiently waiting to get my space in line.

So....I will wait a bit...but if I do decide to cancel I will likely do it sooner than later so a patiently waiting customer can get a nice deal on a LEAF as opposed to a well to do late coming getting one over MSRP.

Gavin

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for sharing your decision with us. I think we do know you are really excited about the Fiat 500 EV. How certain are you that they will start delivering cars here in the US? How soon are they supposed to start that? We know what happened to Aptera's promises. If you do think they are a really solid bet, then that might work.

I say you should place the LEAF order. The nice part is that you can cancel all the way up to the day when you go to pickup the car. I was surprised by that, but I don't think your car will sit on the lot for very long at all. I wouldn't give up your spot. I know getting the EV in the driveway will be so cool, and Nissan is the best game in town right now.

I'd say place the order and as soon as you can, and try to get a test drive. That might help make your decision. Either way, you can decide to pass come January or Feb. when your car is ready. While I agree that your order is not going to make or break the EV revolution, I do think that everything we do in the next year will have a big impact. I know when I got my Prius in '02, I got alot of questions from folks about the car. The more people that see and hear how EV's are a good choice, we can get our country to reduce the old oil habit. Your positive EV energy might start to generate some new orders in your local area.

Let us know which way you go.. and hopefully you will have your EV sooner rather than later.

-Peter

For me, the Leaf will make a good "trial" EV. It seems like a decent car, the price is reasonable, I can get it fairly soon, and it's made by Nissan rather than a startup.

Gavin said:
So....I will wait a bit...but if I do decide to cancel I will likely do it sooner than later so a patiently waiting customer can get a nice deal on a LEAF as opposed to a well to do late coming getting one over MSRP.

Something to think about in terms of economic condition.

If the economy takes a double dip - will Fiat bring in the new cars ? As they say - a bird in hand .... Why not lease Leaf now - and by the time the lease ends if 500 EV is available get that. If because of bad economy new cars get cancelled, you can always hold on to your leaf.

Thanks all..

All good posts, all good thoughts... :)

Dang, you were suppose to make this easier for me... I am just as confused as ever. :)

Luckily I have some time to decide.

Gavin

Gavin said:
Dang, you were suppose to make this easier for me... I am just as confused as ever. :)

I agree with some others here, and if I were in your position I would lease the Leaf. At the end of the lease term you might have better choices from Fiat, Nissan, or others; or you might decide then that you want to buy the Leaf after all.

My disclosure: I would benefit from you dropping out of line... But not all that much. Heck, 1 out of 25,000 isn't going to matter. Do what's best for you.

Nissan should be concerned about orders out of the roll out areas because they are not serviceable in some cases, they could result in bad PR, people could be reselling them for profit, etc. In addition it dilutes inventory in the markets where they have objectives to launch vehicles properly. An angry large dealer can have quite a bit of political pull as well and that causes extra attention. There are many reasons this could be an issue and in the case of a very new and risky product I don't blame Nissan for being extra cautious but I doubt they are wasting time scoring this forum all the time since the value of the data from a marketing perspective is very skewed. Besides, how would one feel to miss out on a CA rebate, etc because their car was delayed due to a bunch of proxy orders in front of them or a bunch of multiple fake orders for potential "wait and see resale" If I were Nissan I would invest some time monitoring this process and they likely are.

Gavin this thead has gone on long enough, man up and decide and stop asking for help. Thats all I have :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Should I back my Leaf in the garage or pull in nose first? Which direction should I wrap my charging cord, clockwise or counter clockwise?

If you back in and immediately shut the garage door, you would be breathing all those exhaust fumes, which can really, really be unhealthy! NEVER back in.
Oh wait, ... you mean a REAL EV, not a "VOLT-EV" ... ;)

Clockwise, always Clockwise!
According to NEC 625.37 and UL 3578, only clockwise will be tolerated, and the lowest part of the coiled cord must be at least 24.490 inches above the finished floor so that deaf toddlers cannot get tangled and hang themselves, and smaller "service" dogs will not be overly tempted to chew on the cord.

Thanks Gary, I had such a difficult time deciding this I almost canceled my order. The cord direction was was a concern as I did not want to start an inductive fire if I wound it the wrong way. I will buy the Nissan cord protection spacer kit to be sure though. Thanks.

EV... an others,
Off topic slightly, but here to get better noticed:

If I buy and recieve a "real" 32-amp L2 EVSE (like from EV-ChargeAmerica) in a couple of weeks, does anybody have a J1772-capable (or converted) vehicle that we could really charge?

Since I an in Southern Orange County, a Southern California location would be preferred.

Perhaps a Nissan Dealer with a 240v socket who is hosting a LEAF during one of the Driving Sessions?

Of course, I will do some basic functional "Simulated-EV" testing at low power first.

Maybe an AV Contractor has their AV J1772 L2 Test Box already?

Other ideas?
Thanks.

EVDRIVER said:
The cord direction was was a concern as I did not want to start an inductive fire if I wound it the wrong way. I will buy the Nissan cord protection spacer kit to be sure though.
Great, now I have one more thing to to before my Leaf arrives - should I get AV to quote on the Nissan Cord Protector Spacer Kit installation? :lol:

No, since it is a "Spacer" kit, the electrician's union will not allow them to handle that item.

Further, NEC 625.41 requires any "Spacer" used with EVs (but not ICEs) to be tested in, and listed for, "Space" usage, and installed by NASA.

garygid said:
Clockwise, always Clockwise!
According to NEC 625.37 and UL 3578, only clockwise will be tolerated, and the lowest part of the coiled cord must be at least 24.490 inches above the finished floor so that deaf toddlers cannot get tangled and hang themselves, and smaller "service" dogs will not be overly tempted to chew on the cord.
For real? So I've been putting deaf toddlers and service dogs in jeopardy of their lives with my cavalier handling of extension cords in the garage. If only I knew this years ago. Now I'm such an idiot :roll:

In the case of an ICE ... what function does the "spacer" provide ? Is it anything like the old carburetor timing devices :lol:

Back