Buying a LEAF....or not? Thoughts.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With ICEs, you can use "Spacers" for anything you want, they are not regulated at all. Some people use them to set the gap in their sparking-plugs.

With ICEs, you can handle large amounts of very dangerous fuel, and even smoke while fueling.

You can torch yourself or even the whole gas station and it only makes the local news.

With an ICE vehicle, you can kill deaf pedestrians wearing too-loud headsets, and (almost) nobody even notices.

Nobody raises an eyebrow if you run out of fuel in an ICE.

But, try the equivalent things in an EV, and the press (and regulators) will be all over it, like flies on ... sliced peaches!

garygid said:
Clockwise, always Clockwise!

WRONG!

It's clockwise if you're north of the equator!! Like toilet water spinning backwards in Australia, EVERYONE knows that electrons go faster when traveling WITH the earth's rotation, resulting in a faster charge. If you go counterclockwise north of the equator, that will slow down the electrons, thus adding approximately .00000003069 seconds to an 8 hour charge. And that's not something to be taken lightly!

C'mon, people! This isn't rocket sciencestry!!
:cool:

Gavin,

Why not Think City ?!

http://www.plugincars.com/without-federal-support-there-no-plan-b-think-electric-cars-us-81972.html

Think already has plans to import 500 City EVs to the U.S. this fall for limited sales in selected markets.

Gavin, I drove a Mitsubishi iMiev last night and I think that is what you should be looking at!

It's a class smaller than the Leaf. They're going to need to sell it for less than the Leaf because it is a smaller car. They are about a year behind Nissan, so their goal is to have them available late in 2011. It has a 16 kWh battery, I think, but they claim the same range as a Leaf because the weight is lower.

It was really fun to drive. It has a high-regen mode as well as Normal and Eco modes, so you can drive it with one pedal most of the time. The wheels are at the corners, like a little Fiat. It is narrow but upright, so it seats four comfortably. We had four grown men in it and it was still peppy and quick. Cargo space with four passengers is minimal, but the rear seats fold down for much more space.

Try to get your hands on one before you make a final decision on the Leaf. You may still be faced with some of the geographic issues that you've had with Nissan, but I think the iMiev might be a better choice for you, given your stated preferences.

Think of it as a Fiat EV made by a Japanese maker with years of battery experience behind them. They've been working on this as long as Nissan has, apparently.

Boomer23 said:
Gavin, I drove a Mitsubishi iMiev last night and I think that is what you should be looking at!

I just read the iMiev thread and I see that you're well aware of it, Gavin, and that you like it. I guess I get points for correctly gauging your preferences, eh?

yep...I would love a Th!nk City or an iMiev...prefer them visually over the LEAF...though the LEAF will be a more complete car....but again I just need a commuter.

Sadly, as you said, both will come out later and in much smaller numbers...and again they will likely only be available in California for the first year or two.

Keeping my options open...the LEAF is getting rave reviews...and I can get one likely a year before the City or iMiev...so that counts quite a bit...

I am a bit envious of the people buying cars in 2013 and beyond...they are going to have more and more EV choices...right now we are very limited...though again i will state that the LEAF is a very good car...so at least we aren't limited to one affordable EV that is crappy :)

Gavin

Gavin said:
...and again they will likely only be available in California for the first year or two.

Yes - this is the strange aspect. It is as if noone has heard about being first to market. I guess they just want to piggyback on infrastructure that is already there than work to get it setup (and the mild weather counts ...).

Back