CHAdeMO losing the standards battle?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Wannabeleafowner said:
Help a rookie to understand here. So with the exception of the leaf and a couple others everyone else is not using the CHademo connector for fast charge? So if I understand this correctly, none of the others can use the CHademo fast charge stations. So when I look at the plug share map and see all the CHademo stations none of these will be useable in the future except by the leaf and a couple others. I wonder if the province will rip them all out. (They just put them in). Will there be adapters. Confusing times.

John and Angela

Take a deep breath. If your province wants to support German auto manufacturers, plus General Motors and Ford, they can install a second CCS - Combo 1 charger right next to the CHAdeMO chargers.

Most existing cars have CHAdeMO capability. Nothing much has changed in the standards issues, as CHAdeMO still has the most compatible cars and by far the most charge stations. But, some of the German manufacturers might actually BUILD CARS that have CCS !!! Currently, Mercedes build several EVs without any fast charge capability, for instance.

CHAdeMO is the only standard in the world that uses the same plug worldwide. That includes Tesla Supercharger. CHAdeMO is the official standard in Japan, and one of two official DC standards in Europe. It is BY FAR the number one public DC charging standards in North America.

CHAdeMO is "System A" in the International standards (IEC).

The number of CHAdeMO DC Quick chargers installed today is:

13,295 (Oct 2016)

Japan 6958
Europe 3866
USA 1956
Others 515

Fast charge stations in North America and Europe in the future will have both CHAdeMO and CCS (that is unique for their respective regional markets, CCS - Combo 1 in North America and CCS - Combo 2 in Europe). Europe will also have 22kW AC fast charging that isn't available in North America.

Because of the fact that public chargers will have multiple plugs, adaptors won't be necessary for anybody except Tesla cars.

Thank you for a very informative post.

Wannabeleafowner said:
Help a rookie to understand here. So with the exception of the leaf and a couple others everyone else is not using the CHademo connector for fast charge? So if I understand this correctly, none of the others can use the CHademo fast charge stations. So when I look at the plug share map and see all the CHademo stations none of these will be useable in the future except by the leaf and a couple others. I wonder if the province will rip them all out. (They just put them in). Will there be adapters. Confusing times.
I can't speak to Canada, but for current BEV and PHEV US sales volumes, look at http://www.hybridcars.com/november-2016-dashboard/ (under Battery Electric Car Sales Numbers and Plug-in Hybrid Car Sales Numbers) and or http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/.

In the US, there are NO PHEVs that can be DC fast charged at all. So, of the 3 incompatible DC FC standards in the US (CHAdeMO, SAE Combo aka Combo1 of CCS and Tesla's North American Supercharger), none of those apply nor matter.

Of the BEVs, besides the DC FC inlet being optional on many models, some CANNOT be DC FCed at all such as the Fiat 500e, Ford Focus Electric (this finally changed w/model year 2017), Merc B-Class ED, Smart ForTwo ED, Honda Fit EV and Rav4 EV.

And yes, Tony Williams has come up with jdeMO (http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMo-for-Rav4EV-JdeMORav4.htm) for Rav4 EV and has been working on it for the Tesla Roadster. I recall seeing one of his pics of the latter working.

Another to add to the CHAdeMO list:
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (has sold several tens of thousands worldwide, but keeps getting delayed for the US)

Wannabeleafowner said:

John and Angela
Checking Plugshare, I see 23 CCS QCs in B.C. now, 20 on the mainland and 3 on Vancouver island. The CHAdeMO total is 29, 25 on the mainland and 4 on the island, and most of the locations are probably dual standard, so coverage is pretty much the same except for Canada 1, where CHAdeMO currently has better coverage. Do you know how to set Plugshare up to see just the types of stations you want?

GRA said:
Wannabeleafowner said:

John and Angela
Checking Plugshare, I see 23 CCs QCs in B.C. now, 20 on the mainland and 3 on Vancouver island. The CHAdeMO total is 29, 25 on the mainland and 4 on the island, and most of the locations are probably dual standard, so coverage is pretty much the same except for Canada 1, where CHAdeMO currently has better coverage. Do you know how to set Plugshare up to see just the types of stations you want?

I do. I have been playing with it and getting used to it. There are now 30 as they added one in Vernon recently. Also my home town. Can't see ever needing it but it it completes a corridor. They still need to add a couple up north towards Prince George.

Back