Charge in the rain?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theboxer5

Hi. I'm thinking about getting a Leaf, but I don't have a garage so I have to park it on the driveway or curb, and there's no roof. So when it rain would it be dangerous to charge the car? So you need to have a garage first before you own a Leaf?

theboxer5 said:
Hi. I'm thinking about getting a Leaf, but I don't have a garage so I have to park it on the driveway or curb, and there's no roof. So when it rain would it be dangerous to charge the car? So you need to have a garage first before you own a Leaf?

My Leaf is pretty much an outdoor car. The EVSE is in my garage but is near the opening, I just close the garage door over the cord and have a rack outside that is shielded from the rain where I hang the charging handle. I live in Western WA so we get a lot of rain (strangely not so much as of late). I've only been electrocuted about half a dozen times or so and usually gain consciousness w/ in a half hour after being knocked out w/ the strange taste of coconut in my mouth. Really... it's not that bad. LOL! :lol: I'm just mess'n w/ you. Nah, you can't get shocked. I've plugged in and unplugged in pouring rain w/ my hands completely soaked. Current doesn't start to flow until it detects it's properly connected w/o any ground faults. Takes about 3-5 seconds from what I've noticed. By that time your hand is off the handle. I've also disconnected it under similarly wet conditions while charging. Haven't felt as much as a tingle yet. ;)

theboxer5 said:
No a problem. The J1772 design makes charging in the rain perfectly safe. No high voltage appears on the plug until it is fully inserted into the car jack. Many of us, including me, have our home charging stations outside. (Note: not all charging stations are rated for outdoor use.) At my local Nissan dealer, they have two of the home-use AV stations mounted on posts in the parking lot, completely uncovered.

There is a Nissan video of the LEAF being charged while a fire hose is being turned on the charging port, presumably without incident. I washed my own car this last weekend while charging. And my car sits out year round. No incidents to report here.

I have no garage, my EVSE hangs on the side of my house on the brick covering for the foundation. I have had no trouble using the cable in the rain. I keep the connector facing downwards as I carry it to the car, and then I gently let the hatch down to rest so as to give a tiny bit of shelter. (someone had shown a picture of this hatch-down position last year, and I find I'm more comfortable with it in that position in general... maybe because we have squirrels and other curious creatures? maybe just "because").

I still want to get a "garage tent" that someone up the street has for their ICE car - the kind you see artists/vendors at street fairs use to keep the sun off them -- my partner has nixed it as it would obscure the view of the trees from that angle... Still working on the notion as it would be kind of nice in a blinding downpour. Right now if that is what is happening, I run into the house and wait for a pause to go back out and connect.

I love my LEAF!

Thanks for your helpful answer. This is what I read in the owner's manual under Charging.

Make sure there is no water or foreign materials in the charge port, charge connector or electrical plug, and that they are not damaged or affected by rust or corrosion. If any of these conditions are noticeable, do not charge the Li-ion battery. This may result in a short circuit or electric shock and could cause a fire which may result in serious personal injury or death.

theboxer5 said:
Thanks for your helpful answer. This is what I read in the owner's manual under Charging.

Make sure there is no water or foreign materials in the charge port, charge connector or electrical plug, and that they are not damaged or affected by rust or corrosion. If any of these conditions are noticeable, do not charge the Li-ion battery. This may result in a short circuit or electric shock and could cause a fire which may result in serious personal injury or death.

Good advice, but that's really just Nissan covering their arses.

I'm using the 120v charger for a few days until the 240v unit arrives, and the car is spending the first few days out on the driveway out on the driveway for reasons that have nothing to do with the LEAF. Yesterday when I went to unplug there was a few drops of rainwater collected in the rubber cap on the J connector, I made a point to dry it off, seemed like a bad idea to trap that moisture inside the connector.

I believe that the connector(s) on the LEAF have drain holes.

However, mud, grit, sand, gravel, gum, glue, etc. could easily keep the connectors from mating properly.

So, keep it clean, using water as needed, preferably with the car off.

theboxer5 said:

Yes, if water actually enters the connectors that's not optimal. But it's actually highly unlikely as well. You'd pretty much have to open the charge port door, flip open the cap that seals the connector, and spray it directly with a hose. (Please don't do that!?) With the charge connector plugged in, it's sealed quite well and water won't be able to enter. When the charge cord is unplugged of course, you close the cap on the connector and it's sealed again. So, no worries. Like many others, I park in the driveway and charge in the rain. The system is designed to safely withstand outdoor conditions.

Good to know! I live in the Pacific Northwest and am currently charging in my driveway in a downpour! I keep wondering, might I be electrocuted today? Nah...I'm sure Nissan's go this figured out! :)

Back