Chargepoint at Whole Foods

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmlawrence

Hi,

I just wanted to know the right etiquette when it comes to charging at Whole Foods or another Commercial establishment. Are the stations only open for shoppers or could you charge and then go eat somewhere else close by as an example.

Thanks

I was at a restaurant the other night, seated by the front window. The restaurant has a bowl of fruit in their foyer, so customers can grab an apple, pear, orange, or banana on the way out. A nice gesture, I think.

Well, soon enough a scruffy looking guy on a very nice bicycle rides up to the restaurant, leaves his bike on the sidewalk, takes off his backpack and leaves it on the bench out front, walks into the foyer, and carefully picks out 4 golden delicious apples. He goes right back to his backpack and bike, stuffs the apples in a grocery bag in his backpack, puts that back on, and then asks a couple leaving the restaurant if they have any change they could give him. Not getting any, he then rides off on his expensive-looking bike.

A restaurant like that, or a grocery store like your local Whole Foods, can certainly afford the occassional charity juicing. But if the idea becomes widespread, and many people start to simply take the fruit, how long will it remain an eating/shopping-here-is-optional situation? This is your ethical dilemma: do you REALLY need that charge, or are you doing it simply because it's there?

Well, at this point since most of the charging stations around here sit empty 99% of the time, I think I'd prefer there to be a car there charging even if the person went somewhere else. Unless somebody was watching, nobody will be any the wiser and at least the owners won't feel like the install was a waste.

Charge if you want to/can: we're a LONG way from worrying about who should/shouldn't charge (at least around here). In fact, I'm more worried about what will happen when restaurants/garages/shopping centers realize no one is using these things (especially when they AREN'T free).

Interesting question. In a sense, if the charger encourages people to frequent the shopping center as a whole, then that is good for Whole Foods. Let's say you take 2 or 3 hours of charging visiting other shops on as many visits. The following week you need groceries and visit Whole Foods. You drop $200 there (easy enough to do). I don't think Whole Foods is going to mind the dollar or less of power it took to get that sale.

Unless there is signage stating "for Whole Foods customers only", I don't think you're under any obligation. I personally would have no worries since I shop at the store occasionally.

Sort of like a gas station that provides free air for filling tires. Spend a minor amount to attract business. They don't expect that everyone who stops to pump their tires is going to get gas that day.

later when stations start charging and have the ability to "validate" charging, i think you might see free charging if you buy something from a vendor or a charge if you dont.

chargepoint's new software 4.0 promises the ability to allow vendors that option

Stanton said:
Charge if you want to/can: we're a LONG way from worrying about who should/shouldn't charge (at least around here). In fact, I'm more worried about what will happen when restaurants/garages/shopping centers realize no one is using these things (especially when they AREN'T free).
Like any business model . . . . when they realize $2 for 3kWh is a crummy model . . . . they'll drop the price to something more reasonable . . . like a buck - which is still too high, but do-able. Whole Foods customers spend less than an hour shopping, so that's another can of lame.

Thanks for the posts. Some were entertaining :) I would never just go in and use something without frequenting the establishment such as using a restroom that is for customers only. We always buy something or eat there. This would be the same thing but here is what I was trying to figure out:

I just wasn't sure about the fact that they are owned by Chargepoint but on a Whole Foods parking lot meant that they were only for Whole Foods. We have a Chargepoint card with free access from Austin and our dealership but will have to pay soon for charging. I most likely would go in and buy groceries and use the charger. There was just one afternoon when I didn't own a quick charger yet (Just got ours a 2 months ago) and I was low and we were eating across the street. My husband and I were having the debate on whether it is Chargepoint's customers or Whole Foods customers that win out and if you are paying for the time especially.

I just wanted to know if Chargepoint had any rules etc.

ChargePoint (Coulomb) isn't an owner/operator... units are owned by the host site/company, or a half-baked business plan "charging provider" company like Car Charging, Inc., 350Green, etc. "Rules" would be defined by the host and/or owner.

IMHO: All stations are fair game if they are listed as public and free, unless there's some sign that suggests otherwise. If they are behind a gate, or have a sign that says "customers only" or "residents only", then ask permission.

Back