Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw my first Bolt in the wild last night, just under 1 month from the first customer acceptance. My instantaneous ID (from the side) based on general size and shape was i3, but the distinguishing details immediately became apparent. Better looking than the i3, IMO.

While getting an eBay purchased key fob programmed at the Nissan dealer, I had about an hour to kill so I walked down the street to the Chevy dealer in Glendale. They had 3 Bolts. $40-$44k.
I test drove the fully spec'd $44k model. Smaller inside than the LEAF but adequate. Much more solidly built IMO. Quiet with ok handling.
Street was a little wet and traction control was awful. Front wheel spin was atrocious.
Sales-guy knew nothing about the car (natch), I determined that traction control was in fact "on" and got it into the high-regen mode for one-pedal driving. Enjoyed that very much.
LCD rear-view mirror was off-putting because of the need to re-focus my eyes whenever I wanted to check traffic behind me.
I guess I could get used to it. Not sure how well it works at night.

Conclusion: Decent effort but it seems like the Volt is a better car for the $.

I'm keeping my Model 3 reservation. I'd rather spend $45-$50k on a Tesla.

I went from an adequate Leaf SL to a more expensive Mercedes B EV. The Mercedes was very solidly built and it came with a lot of bells and whistles. It even had a weather band on the radio.

My current eGolf is very well built but it is no Mercedes but the Mercedes was $49K list. The paint and fit and finish was first class. The safety emphasis really saved me in my accident. The ambulance driving by stopped and they could not believe I was not injured.

Bolt might noisy or we are simply spoiled by driving our LEAFs :) but radio fixes that easy enough so not sure I can say noise is a factor for me.

But right now lease terms are pathetic so have to wait for them to drop about $10K which should be later this year when T3 starts hitting the streets. Not in time to make WA sales tax waiver (as I expect that to run out my mid Summer at the latest) but should banking on the fed tax credit to still be alive by then.

FYI; current Bolt lease MF starting at 24X higher than LEAF which adds a few bucks... I don't see that surviving when Bolt has some competition

DaveinOlyWA said:
Bolt might noisy or we are simply spoiled by driving our LEAFs :) but radio fixes that easy enough so not sure I can say noise is a factor for me.

But right now lease terms are pathetic so have to wait for them to drop about $10K which should be later this year when T3 starts hitting the streets. Not in time to make WA sales tax waiver (as I expect that to run out my mid Summer at the latest) but should banking on the fed tax credit to still be alive by then.

FYI; current Bolt lease MF starting at 24X higher than LEAF which adds a few bucks... I don't see that surviving when Bolt has some competition

The noise I heard was cabin noise and inverter and or motor noise. Anyone set on buying a Bolt may be rewarded by holding off a while if possible. At a much lower price point this would be a decent EV.

50 state rollout schedule

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108353_when-can-i-buy-a-chevy-bolt-ev-electric-car-see-our-state-by-state-schedule

We reached out to the carmaker, as we had last week to Toyota, and Chevy has now provided a concrete schedule for Bolt EV deliveries throughout the U.S.

Looking a little less compliance-y by the day.

Only 8 months wait to get them in all states. By then they should have the lease discounts worked out. Lets see how sales pan out at the existing price points.

EVDRIVER said:
Only 8 months wait to get them in all states. By then they should have the lease discounts worked out. Lets see how sales pan out at the existing price points.

You can't really blame them for rolling out in the CARB states first.

It wouldn't be surprising if the remaining states go even faster. I have a theory there is still just a core group of EV enthusiasts that is growing very slowly over time, and just because you offer a leaf-like car with 200 mile range as opposed to a 75-100 mile range isn't going to excite any significant percentage of the unwashed masses. If you aren't one to be enthralled by EV propulsion for the sake of it the Bolt is just an $18k hatchback that's way overpriced with a bunch of limitations. Expect the discounting to come along pretty quickly.

Tesla has the right strategy, this all needs to be built up around brand imaging and cool factor/object of desire, making what is unaffordable for most people gradually unaffordable to fewer over time.

EVDRIVER said:

I think they realize that the window for maximum profits is small and they need to capitalize. This is why they have now banned both out of state leases (from day one) and sales (this week)

They know that they need to collect as many impatient T3ers as they can and they are realistically lucky they have as much time as they do.

evnow said:
April for WA. That cuts it too fine for my May 5 Leaf lease return.

When is Ioniq getting released ?

are they not open for ordering nationwide in a few weeks? or was I thinking something else? to be honest with ya, no hurry for me on that one. not enough range to move me from Nissan

If you have a low monthly lease payment you might ask Nissan for a 12 month extension. I was granted another 12 months at my $236/mo price. You can terminate anywhere in the 12 months you want. I think I used 4 or 5 months before getting my new Volt (was waiting for ACC availability).

Chevy Bolt EV 1,100 Mile Road Trip Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMgZT2WBXQo

Reports (~3 minutes into the video) the Bolt's charge taper on a ~45 kW charger begins @ ~65% SOC.

See Ioniq on a ~100 kW charger report for comparison:

edatoakrun said:
~20 kWh charge accepted in ~19 minutes.

Slowly increases from ~60 kW to ~70 kW (perhaps due in part to pack warming?) until charge rate begins to taper after reaching > 75% capacity.

Charging Hyundai Ioniq on 100 kW CCS
Bjørn Nyland

Published on Jan 16, 2017
Hyundai Ioniq supports up to 70 kW via the CCS plug. I tested this on a 100 kW Delta charger at Vestby, Norway last night. Peak power was 69.3 which was pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3gJ8fWW5g
Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21136&start=90

Regarding evnow in Seattle getting a Bolt before his current lease runs out. There are several dealerships 170 miles south, in Portland OR with Bolts in stock

http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/dealer-locator.html#

Take Greyhound down & drive back.

2011RedLeaf said:
Regarding evnow in Seattle getting a Bolt before his current lease runs out. There are several dealerships 170 miles south, in Portland OR with Bolts in stock

http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/dealer-locator.html#

Take Greyhound down & drive back.

not worth the headache when its only just a few months away

Back